Will rs3 exhaust work on s3?

AudiLeon96

Reaction score
So guys any help is greatly appreciated. I'm interested in fitting the oem valve controlled rs3 exhaust to my s3 8p 3dr. Anybody know what is involved in getting the valve open/close feature to work. Of course I'd need the centre dash buttons with the "S" buttons as pictured below and I assume the original wiring harness if that is how it is controlled. I'm very interested in this mod/retrofit and would be willing to be the guinea pig. Any help or advice on whether it would even work or not will be appreciated

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,081
What exactly are you after? The option to open the valve using the button or the look of the twin RS3 exhaust? You already have a valve fitted to your S3 exhaust as std, you know? It's controlled by vacuum at the moment, but I'm pretty sure a good auto electrician could connect it to the switch.

What exactly are you after? The option to open the valve using the button or the look of the twin RS3 exhaust? You already have a valve fitted to your S3 exhaust as std, you know? It's controlled by vacuum at the moment, but I'm pretty sure a good auto electrician could connect it to the switch.

I'm pretty much just after being able to control the valve electronically using the oem 's' button. If I can help it i'd prefer to use entirely original parts including both the wiring harness and exhaust valve for example rather than have someone do a custom job. And no I didn't realise the original exhaust was valved but I assume if there are any performance benefits to having the rs3 exhaust then I'd rather have that considering it already has an electronically controlled valve integrated.

I have an Rs3 and I have an oem RS3 standard catback exhaust for sale... maybe you've seen my add.

I have an Rs3 and I have an oem RS3 standard catback exhaust for sale... maybe you've seen my add.
No I haven't seen your ad but I'd definitely be interested if the retrofit can be done with all the parts fitting and functioning correctly. Could do with your help if you're willing, understandable if not though. I will be after the part number for the centre dash switches with the 's' button as I can't find it anywhere online, would Of course require you to pull the centre trim out to see the part number on the sticker. Also are you on detailing world? I'm a lurker on there and recognise your profile pic. :)

I am on detailing world although I haven't been on it for quite a long time.

fa8730987d55a40c5fa2a61fb09284f9.jpg
1629bae3a100747a20ba40a87db86dbd.jpg

Yes that is no trouble I've had my trims out many times before so I can do that for you. From memory there was no sticker or but I did have all the buttons out (even though a retrofitter said this wasn't possible) so the units are available. Give me 10mins...

Reactions: AudiLeon96
I am on detailing world although I haven't been on it for quite a long time.

Yes that is no trouble I've had my trims out many times before so I can do that for you. From memory there was no sticker or but I did have all the buttons out (even though a retrofitter said this wasn't possible) so the units are available. Give me 10mins...

Thanks jay. Really appreciate the help!!

8P0 927 137
Thank you, it seems to be the same part number as other centre trim buttons, I was under the impression the Rs3 one had a specific part number as it has the 's' button. Perhaps it's something I may just need to specify when ordering the part for my local tps.

Thank you, it seems to be the same part number as other centre trim buttons, I was under the impression the Rs3 one had a specific part number as it has the 's' button. Perhaps it's something I may just need to specify when ordering the part for my local tps.

I thought like many trims they provide one part for all but blank buttons that aren't available for certain models. In this case the "s" button.

I thought like many trims they provide one part for all but blank buttons that aren't available for certain models. In this case the "s" button.
I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying that the "s" button itself will have its own part number?

I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying that the "s" button itself will have its own part number?

No i reckon if you removed your centre trim and popped the blank cover off you'll probably find the same internal switch (albeit it won't be wired in to anything on the centre terminal plug). Hold on I may be able to find you some drawings on the vacuum schematic for the RS3. one sec...

No i reckon if you removed your centre trim and popped the blank cover off you'll probably find the same internal switch (albeit it won't be wired in to anything on the centre terminal plug). Hold on I may be able to find you some drawings on the vacuum schematic for the RS3. one sec...
Oh i see, thus I'd only really require the button and not the entire trim

cb20fd1723efce3d8877aae8afa76a98.png
1ba0c23ee0a013c149aa1b873a4b50a0.png

So basically the vacuum line which runs from the actuator which is located near the exhaust tip runs through into the engine bay and onto a solenoid in order to open/close I believe.

cb20fd1723efce3d8877aae8afa76a98.png
1ba0c23ee0a013c149aa1b873a4b50a0.png

So basically the vacuum line which runs from the actuator which is located near the exhaust tip runs through into the engine bay and onto a solenoid in order to open/close I believe.

Brilliant thank you jay! To my knowledge the s3 also has this but the s3 system open and closes automatically at 3000rpms. This suggests to me that i will need some form of control module that may be present on the rs3 in order to manually control the vacuum line from the 's' button

Reactions: JayA3sline
Oh really? I had an S3 prior to my RS3 and was never aware it had a valve on the exhaust. I shall have another look at some drawings to see if I can find a solution for you

Oh really? I had an S3 prior to my RS3 and was never aware it had a valve on the exhaust. I shall have another look at some drawings to see if I can find a solution for you
Yeah I'm pretty sure it Does, and thanks that'd be a great help!

c96cc9ea9f2d818f70cd80f0f4426a3b.png
d670a9b867146d6f14df74d735e0ed90.png

Part number for the solenoid from my previous image is item 19. Surely once the vacuum line is run from the solenoid to the actuator on the exhaust and you have a vacuum source then I would have thought running the control to the button would be fairly straight forward.

Turns out your local to me too so collection is always viable

Perfect, the only thing I am having trouble understanding is what allows vacuum line to be controlled manually in the rs3? as it looks to me that all the hardware required is already present on the s3 with it having a vacuum operated valved exhaust, it even has an actuator on the tailpipes identical to the rs3. The difference seems to be that the s3 system operates automatically over 3000rpms whereas the rs3 system operates manually via the "s" button. So I need to know how exactly the rs3 is able to do this and what part is responsible for this manual control if that makes sense :cower:

You could buy one of these buttons if you're struggling with the RS3 one? http://www.carstyle4you.com/Switch

I doubt there would be any performance gains from using the RS3 exhaust and you will have to cut your rear bumper and probably your battery tray to fit it.

You could buy one of these buttons if you're struggling with the RS3 one? http://www.carstyle4you.com/Switch

I doubt there would be any performance gains from using the RS3 exhaust and you will have to cut your rear bumper and probably your battery tray to fit it.

Yeah I have seen those but will like it to remain strictly oem. Why would the bumper need cutting? The rs3 back box and tail pipes are identical to the s3 or at least they seem identical. Could be wrong

Oh I see. Yeah I want to fit the rs3 8p one to my s3 8p. Still struggling to find out whether it will actually work or not:readit:

Looking at the pics I can find of the RS3 exhaust, the only similarity is the rear box. Obviously you can't use the downpipe. Are you expecting a change in exhaust noise when you fit the switch as it won't make a bit of difference as you already have a valved system.

Ive looked into the S button.

Be aware of the following.

The RS3 S button, RS3 dual stage esp button , and if you get the right part number ( note the 2 letters on the end
IMG 3135

IMG 3138

the passenger airbag off light , are all part of the same red module / plug . The hazard switch is the white plug, and the blanks are moulded in.

I didn't want to hack around my wiring, but I also fancied to control my exhaust flap fully open in S and auto if not, rather than open or shut at certain revs/speeds ad gears.

The S button talks direct to the Ecu.
So I thought about making my own latching relay circuit triggered by the tell tale indicator led in the S button. So when the car is turned off, it cuts its own power , until the button is pressed once more.

But soon found out it's not 12v output at the button / red module , that powers the switches led, but the latching of the led is driven from the Ecu, which already drops its voltage to suit that of the led.

At this point I lost interest. Ive briefly tried the golf t flapper mod, and didn't like it 100% open anyway. Even the standard exhaust can be a bit tiresome at cruising motorway speeds. Hence the S button turning it off.

Take the following with a pinch of salt as it's based on a ttrs with mag ride and the sports button. An RS3 valve control will be similar...... (no mag ride)

It may not be exactly correct, but it's an example of how it may be connected/ work.

N321 on the left is the solenoid that controls the exhaust flap via vacuum.

It's got a switched ignition feed permanently, and the Ecu controls the ground side.

So the Ecu controls the flap by giving N321 a complete circuit ( by ground) or not.
The switch just changes the mapping for the flap so it's a bit more vocal in certain revs/speeds/gears. ( it's not necessarily 100% in all gears , open in S)

The switch E541 goes to the Ecu, and the latching circuit/ led in the switch L156 is taken care of by the Ecu.

K91 and all the stuff on the right relates to mag ride. ( on a TTRS)

IMG 0329

Legend

E461 Front Center Console Control Head
E541 Sport Program Button
G76 Left Rear Level Control System Sensor
G77 Right Rear Level Control System Sensor
G78 Left Front Level Control System Sensor
G79 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
G185 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2
G289 Right Front Level Control System Sensor
J250 Electronic Damping Control Module
J623 Electronic Control Module
K91 Automatic transmission Sport Mode Indicator Lamp
L156 Switch Illumination Bulb
N321 Exhaust Door Valve 1
N336 Left Front Damping Adjustment Valve
N337 Right Front Damping Adjustment Valve
N338 Left Rear Damping Adjustment Valve
N339 Right Rear Damping Adjustment Valve
S Fuses

Any things possible, but I personally can't see the S button as a retrofit, not in an oem sense anyway.

I can't see why the current S3 vacuum control wouldn't work on the RS3 exhaust, and if you must have switchable, there are already wireless key fob plug and play kits to control the flap available, without the hacking about.

http://asr-component.de/home/32-klappensteuerung-rx1.html

Also remember the Sportback S3 or RS3 is 72mm longer in the boot, from the centre of the rear wheels to the rear bumper skin compared to a 3dr.

All other dimensions are the same.

Reactions: nluk100
Okay I guess the "s" button retrofit isn't viable then. Thank you all for all your help and advice. My goal was to have a switchable flap via the oem button. I only looked in to the rs3 exhaust as I wasn't entirely sure whether the vaccum control on the rear box is identical to the s3 one or not. I assumed there would be only a slight but still noticeable change in sound hence me wanting to do it. But I can't thank all you guys enough for all the help and advice, saved me a lot of money and disappointment!

Just a suggestion can you change the valve to a s3 electronic valve and then it's just straightforward to wire the button up with some relays??

Or you could do the same with another n321 Vacuum valve.

Leave the existing valve to deal with the oem side, and introduce a second N321 valve downstream to act as the master control
and wire it to an ignition fed switch.

That way you retain oem, and can override loud if you want on demand.

Credit to bittan on the TT forum. Discussed here. http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=333378

Flapper

there are loads of options/ different versions of the flapper mod, if you are determined.

Reactions: german parts direct