1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will it work or not?

m8arx Jan 9, 2011

1. m8arx

m8arx Member

anyone have any experience with cables such as the following - VAG106 Diagnostic Interface Cable VCDS VAGCOM 10.6 on eBay (end time 10-Jan-11 16:14:09 GMT)

been on the lookout for vcds for a while now as it seems to have good uses, but don't really have the 244 it costs from NHN or elsewhere. Was looking through ebay and spotted the above and thought it might be too good to be true. i know the seller has only 3 feedbacks - all for the vagcom leads though and seems to be ok.

2. L3WJX

L3WJX Member

I would not trust it i would rather pay £244 and now what your getting,i had the lite ross tech with cheap lead and all works fine but alot more with the real thing !!

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

If it works or not its most likely illegal to use... Ross Tech no longer licence VCDS like they used too... the 'Licence' is the cable itself as it acts as a dongle to activate VCDS... advantages to you is that you are not tied to the hardware you installed VCDS on like the old licence key method and obviously its a means of anti piracy for Ross Tech... seeing as the seller states that "We are not affiliated with Ross Tech LLC or Volkswagen Group in anyway and are in no way copying their cable" then I suspect this is not made under licence and therefore means that you will be using the software illegally...

<tuffty/>

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

fake
    if it works with 10.6
    as above the lead is the licence as with all the fakes it will stop working prety quick
    they always do

5. dany2k

dany2k Member

£200.00 for the original stuff aint so bad considering what you get for it, and what any auto electrician/garage charges you for a diagnostic check! im making do with the shareware version until the need arises for me to use the full features... but i certainly will be doing so soon :)

6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

You can still buy the licence from Ross tech with a third party lead around £65 but like said you are tied to the laptop that it is installed on, they give you 1 chance only to change to another.

7. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

However they also discount that £65 off a full lead should you buy one in future, which is pretty cool.

8. m8arx

m8arx Member

how do you go about this?? it a case of emailing them and asking or is there an option to by it online through them?

how you getting on with the heatshield by the way? :)

9. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

This is an option if you buy a cheap ebay lead (by cheap I mean around a tenner)... no point in buying this lead and a VCDS licence, might as well get the proper product...

K line cars (8L audi's etc)
    VCDS (VAG-COM) USB PC diagnostics package for non-CAN VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda cars (approx. 1996-2003)

CAN-BUS and K-Line (covers all VAGs)
    VCDS (VAG-COM) USB PC diagnostics package for VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda cars (1996-2010)

If you only plan to use it on your car then the cheaper lead will work fine (I have this one)... if you plan to change your car to a newer VAG (Audi or otherwise) then the more expensive one will cover yours and newer VAGs...

<tuffty/>

10. L3WJX

L3WJX Member

Hi how does this lead work if its not a ross-tech lead ? This is the reply i got :)

Hi this is a Ross tech compatible lead the license is from Ross
    tech for the 10.6 software, the license comes embedded
    within the cable.

From vag1060

11. <tuffty/>

Not convinced mate... I have no doubt it would work but nothing on the listing or has been said here convinces me thats its any way official...

<tuffty/>

12. hades-

hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

when the ross tech guys see this over on audizine the listing wont be on very long
    ask them if the licence is in the lead then why is the disc included ?
    as with vcds you dont get any disc you down load from the site and upgrade when needed

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  13. L3WJX

L3WJX Member

Will do mate i am waiting for a reply back there must be a rosstech person on here :!

14. harryc

harryc Member

I bought a cheapo ebay one with software CD for use on my vr6 corrado. I've spent hours trying to make it work and couldnt even complete one full scan with out crashing...going for the 200 pound cable once i pick up an s3