1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will it fail?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Mikebabs1, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Mikebabs1

Mikebabs1 Member

[Oct 17, 2006]
    Got my MOT on Thursday and was just wondering whether the fact that one of my rear number plate bulbs isn't working would result in a fail?

Anyone know?

Also, whilst on the subject, is it a dealer job to get a new part for this? It's not just the bulb but the whole fitting has come out, i.e. the bit which holds the bulb in and the plastic covering. The plastic around the screw has cracked.

Cheers

Mike
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. necroeire

necroeire Active Member

[Oct 17, 2006]
    Use some glue or silicone to get you through the MOT, the bulb should be simple to replace. If it's hanging out they'll sopt it but if it's neatly fixed - no problem.
  4. G4JSG

G4JSG Gotcha!!! VCDS Map User

[Oct 17, 2006]
    If it doesn't light up then it will fail.

As above I'd use hot glue or something to hold it in place or nip to a dealer as they always have them in stock.
  5. Mikebabs1

Mikebabs1 Member

[Oct 18, 2006]
    Thanks guys. It sounds stupid, but I hadn't even thought about just gluing it back in as a temporary measure ... yet it's so obvious! Duh!

Superglued it into place this evening ready for tomorrow and checked that the light still illuminates and it looks fine.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow now!

Cheers

Mike
  6. Mikebabs1

Mikebabs1 Member

[Oct 20, 2006]
    Ok, that did the trick as it didn't fail on the lights, however it did fail because it needed a new tyre.

Garage quoted me £85 +vat for a michelin. Politely declined and got straight onto blackcircles.com. Having 2 new rears fitted on Saturday for £111 all in. Went for the Falkens (205/55/16V) as I'd heard they were very good, and the blackcircles site rates them as good as the premium brands. I think the tyres that are being replaced might be the originals, and the car's done 64k!

Back in to the garage for a re-test on Monday.

Mike
  7. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

[Oct 20, 2006]
    Bugger, it's always the obvious things:keule: . We spend time fretting about emissions and headlight levels, and we forget to check the tyres:busted_cop:. Schoolboy mistake really :whistle2: