will a replacement ABS module work?

deejames

Reaction score
Hi,

my ABS light is coming on every now and then and after a scan i`ve traced the issue back to the ABS module. I`ve found a replacement with the same part number so my question is will a replacement module work?

Yes but you may need to make a note of the coding in your module then code the replacement with that of your old one.

Yes but you may need to make a note of the coding in your module then code the replacement with that of your old one.

i`ve got the shareware version of VCDS lite, will that give me the code i have and allow me to recode the replacement?

make sure its exactly the same part no

i used VCDS lite to find the part number of my existing one and have found a few from a supplier with the same part number reasonably cheap, working and no lights showing when removed from the cars - not sure exactly what model/specs unfortunately

update:

i`ve found a good guaranteed or your money back ABS module which is on its way as i type with exactly the same part number. After i fit it i will update any issues that cropped up, weather i needed to recode it etc - hopefully the info will be of use to someone!

Lucky so n so! I couldn't find one for love nor money. Just ordered a new one!

I had to recode the one i fitted on my a6. depends if the donor car is identicle or not, different brake sizes, car chassis, drive train are all factors.

Where abouts in essex are you, if you have it fitted tomorrow im going to be around in the afternoon, so long as your not too far out of harlow i might be able to help.

Reactions: deejames
What if VCDS can not communicate with ABS module? It wouldn't be possible to get the old coding in that case.

Also, If I understand correctly, code does not have to be exactly the same - 8E0 614 111 **
where *:
FWD; Bosch ABS 5.3 = AB, AD, D, AC, AE or w/o index;
FWD/ABS/EDL Bosch 5.3 = P, B, Q, F;
FWD/ABS/TCS Bosch 5.3 = R, C, S, G;
4WD/ABS/EDL Bosch 5.3 = M, A, N, E.

So, if my one (faulty one) is 8E0 614 111 A I can put one with ...E
Is that correct?

I wouldnt mess too much with brakes personally. like for like is the way i went with my a6 even though it cost me 125 for the pump and a long drive to collect it.

thanks everyone - the help is well appreciated, i`m going to do it when i get back from holiday and will update here in case anyone finds it usefull

Update:

i fitted the replacement module over the weekend and can confirm for my car at least (1998 A4 Avant 1.8 petrol) the replacement module with exactly the same part number did work straight away without any need to recode. So for a total outlay of £45 i managed to fix the problem myself (£20 lead for VCDS and £25 delivered for the ABS module) and i have the lead and VCDS lite for future use. The only thing i would say is make sure you have the correct star screw bits and ideally a right angle screw driver attachment or a very short screw driver to get at the screws!