1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wider tyres on a 17inch rim

Discussion in 'A2 forum' started by Beef, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Beef

Beef Member

[Jan 19, 2009]
    Does anybody know if I can fit a wider tyre to the standard 205 40 17 set up? The car my wife bought a couple of years ago came with super skinny Falken tyres and she has successfully attacked every curb in Yorkshire since. They are the right size but I could do with a wider tread before I set about having all 4 rims reconditioned.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Beef
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. *Unkle*

*Unkle* Member

[Feb 1, 2009]
    The simple answer is yes.

Because the A2 205/40R17 is a very common size they are cheap to buy. If you go for something like 215/40R17 (they will be more expensive) you will also effect the rolling radius of the car and therefore the gearing slightly, but not too much. You only have a very small amount of clearance in the rear arch next to the shock absorber but it should be ok.

Alternatively you could fit Michelin 205/40R17 they have by far the biggest side wall rim protector,

See this thread

Compare the rim protector on these tyres I had Toyo Proxess http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=59122

And the Michelin i now have (wish i had these from new as it would have stopped the curbing)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]