1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why wont VCDS start!

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by S3Steve, Aug 14, 2010.

1. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Aug 14, 2010]
    Having not used my Vag Com for a while i tried to reset my mates service interval with it yesterday. So i turned on the laptop and tried to open VCDS but it wouldnt start up ( im running 10.6 ), i dont think ive changed anything on the computer since i last used it. I have tried everything i can think of including removing the program and then downloading and reinstalling it again and still the program fails to start. Has anyone had similar issues or have any ideas what could be causing this?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. XFi

XFi Member

[Aug 14, 2010]
    Very odd, what OS are you using? Have you tried right clicking the icon - run as administrator (if on vista/7)?
  4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 15, 2010]
    When you say fails to start, do you mean it wont open at all or opens just doesnt connect to the car?

Try uninstalling & deleting any files/folders relating to Ross-Tech & VCDS, then try 908 older version, also if you're literate with registry, delete any keys relating to again RT & VCDS.
  5. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Aug 15, 2010]
    Im running windows 7 and ive tried run as administrator and it still doesnt start.
  6. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Aug 15, 2010]
    No it wont open at all mate.
  7. bearthebruce

bearthebruce Ross-Tech, LLC

[Aug 16, 2010]
    I've not heard any reports of 10.6 failing to open but will talk with the tech guys in the morning.
  8. Watty

Watty ..... (_!_) Sarah's A3s #1 Fan

[Aug 16, 2010]
    Sorry to sound stupid, but I read somewhere that when connecting, the cable has to be in the same port as when first used/ loaded ???? So, have you tried it in that same usb slot? Just trying some lateral thinking fella?
  9. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Aug 17, 2010]
    No sugestions sound stupid mate im up for trying anything to get it working again. Its not a connecting issue though mate the program wont start at all, VCDS.exe is shown on the process list in task manager but the program never starts. I suspect its something ive changed on my computer since last running vagcom rather than a vagcom issue but i just cant think what would cause the program to fail to start.
  10. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[Aug 17, 2010]
    Cheers mate, did you find anything?
  11. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 17, 2010]
    Nah if its a usb version it will if plugnplay enabled auto install driver & configure itself, on genuine cables that is.

What security prog have you got running, anything that requires authentication to run as most internet security progs have these included that asks you if you allow a prog to commit to an action or not.
  12. bearthebruce

bearthebruce Ross-Tech, LLC

[Aug 18, 2010]
    Sorry - been one of those weeks.

There are a few reports that some 64 bit machines have an issue with the installer and with running VCDS 10.6. The reports have been few and far between but they exist. To date, we do not have an answer to the problem and are still looking at it. Apparently, there may be a work around for some machines.

Since you are running 10.6, I assume you to be a registered user of VCDS having purchased directly from Ross-Tech or one of our authorized dealers. If that is the case, then please email support@Ross-Tech.com and they will set up a trouble ticket to assist you.
  13. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Aug 19, 2010]
    I had problems with 10.x 64 bit beta on windows 7 not running too. uninstalling & re-installing it sorted it though for a bit.
  14. sc00byd00byd00

sc00byd00byd00 Frank and Beans...............

[Aug 29, 2010]
    Takin a wild stab in the dark.......... are you runnin zonealarm ?

I am and that stopped me running VCDS v10.6 too, any prior versions of VCDS were fine.

if you are; or even if you aren't running zonealarm, try shutting down your internet security program and ending any associated services within task manager (lke zonealarm forcefield etc)

Once these are closed, then it should run (you may have to end the VCDS process too and restart it.
  15. Sebastian

Sebastian Member

[Sep 2, 2010]
    VCDS does NOT write anything into the registry at this point, the only thing that adds stuff is the installer/uninstaller. Therefor removing registry entries has no effect at all on how and if the program will run. Also installing an old version does not fix the problem, it is a workaround at best.

In cases like this contacting the software manufacturers support should be the first step, information on forums sadly are often incorrect and misleading at best. As Bruce already noted, we have seen this type of problem and may have a solution ready for you.
  16. tos

tos New Member

[Oct 23, 2010]
    I found this problem today. 10.6 with win7 64.
    The latest F-Secure firewall will block it.