Why won't any keys sync with my car and VCDS?

Bad Sir Culation

Reaction score
Anyone had this? I've just got the one key, so I thought perhaps the PCB is ******. Bought a used key on ebay and decided to try that tonight. Swapped in the new batteries from my existing key and tried changing the stored value to 1 in the central locking adaptation menu. Click to save, press the key, nothing.

What are the chances of me having two knackered keys here? Am I doing anything wrong? I followed a Youtube video which did exactly as I described so can't see that I have. I have managed to find the old casing of my original key and so been able to check the part numbers. They are both the same, the one starting 4D0.

Very confused..... and certainly very frustrated.

Does it matter that the stickers with the part numbers on are orange? I.e. not sure if the genuine items have a particular type of sticker on them etc.

Any ideas very welcome folks. I ordered a third key when I was playing about on eBay so will have a 3rd option to try shortly.

Ill put money on being able to sort it. Im free on saturday if you want to head down the A1

Have you cleared the any existing stored keys first?

They normally won't allow you to match new ones unless you wipe all previous stored keys and start fresh.

Yeah Jim! That's what saving channel 00 does.

@udi A3, PM me your location mate. Will be good to see if you get any joy!

Had the same thing on my passat one key just lost it's ability to open or close the, tried all the different ways of setting it up and no joy i think it's the key

Er... Well one of them is working now! I didn't realise but it won't operate while there's a key in the ignition.

Didn't make sense to me, as the Stored Value still shows as 0 in the adaptation menu but perhaps I am slightly off in my understanding and that just specifies the memory location for the key, not how many are actually stored?

It turns out my original key doesn't work at all. I put new batteries in a few weeks ago but when running adaptation it doesn't change to recognized when I press it, whereas the used key I bought did.

Locked the car up and then pressed the spare 2nd hand fob and it worked!

Can I get a blade cut for the working fob and then pair the immobiliser with VCDS or do I need some special code I keep seeing mentioned for this?

You could take the circuit board out the new working key and put it in your old key that has a matched transponder and blade.

Yeah Jim, got a second key coming that I will do just this with. Don't want to disturb the working one yet lol

Edit: if I try to add a second key now, I change the value on VCDS to 2 but only have to press the button on the latest key, right? And that would store it as key 2?

What are these brass bits in the corners on this new (old) key? Mine didn't have them, it was just a case of prising the PCB out. Uploadfromtaptalk1390650772495

I dont take many keys apart like that so wouldnt know, works out cheaper in the long run for me to buy new stock