Why is this S3 so cheap ?

Looks fairly straight unless its had some accident damage.The dealership in question is pretty close to where i live and it's a decent enough car lot,been around for about 10-12 years or so selling your average family type cars so no real reason to suspect it on that score.

I wouldn't bother buying a CAT D car as it will be a pain to sell in the future and may not drive the same again if it's been in a smash.

Save up your money and get a minter.

Also if you look at the ticket in the window of the grey one it looks like they have made a mistake with the advert.

But unfortunately its still on the register, which means that you would have difficulty getting rid of in a year or two. youHAVE to state this naturally

CAT D the way I understand it means that an insurance company wrote the vehicle off as not economically viable to repair... the owner can then buy the car off the ins company and repair himself or the ins co sells in an auction...

Basically means that someone bought it as a write off and (probably) did a cheap repair on it... as mentioned above - it will probably never drive right again and will almost certainly develop rust.

Re-selling later on - also difficult!

I have had a BMW 330 coupe which was a Cat D, had very minor damage and even had pics of the car when it had its smash. I have nothing against a cat D but when I came to sell it nobody wanted to know, so I will never have another

CAT D .. is not an insurance right off.

Category A: Total burnout. No value left in the vehicle
Category B: Break only. Value lies in salvage
Category C: Damage to car is more than total value of car
Category D: Repair would cost almost as much as the vehicle is worth. Better to write off than repair. No comebacks for the insurers

So for an S3 to be a CAT D the repair cost would have to be high indicating a lot of damage.

A CAT D on an old car could be less serious.

[ QUOTE ]
So for an S3 to be a CAT D the repair cost would have to be high indicating a lot of damage.

A CAT D on an old car could be less serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.