Why have I had no interest in my car???

Ian W

Reaction score
Right, had my S3 for sale for a month now both on Pistonheads and on the Autotrader, in that time i've had all of one person interested :rolleyes:

I think its a good price for the car and the advert seems fine to me but maybe there is something putting people off ?

Anyone care to take and give me your thoughts?

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/643638.htm

Personally I wouldnt mention it has had paintwork. Just say its all in good condition with no rust.

Times are hard at the moment and I think these cars will always struggle to find homes at the moment. Petrol prices, massive leaps in road tax, insurance/running costs dont help sadly.

I'm looking to buy at the moment and although yours does not meet my desired criteria and it is a ****** long drive to see a car, it does tick all the boxes for a good advert... honest, informative and price also seems reasonable.

I do agree with the points above about paintwork.

I can't believe you've had only 1 person!!

Thats my opinion anyway, good luck selling.

Ad has all the right details although I would remove "reduced" from the heading.

Well at the moment we are going into a rescission. I bought my s3 and they have all come down since then im not bothered as got the color i wanted .

How about some more pics? I reckon you should put up as many as possible, especially since it looks in such good condition?

Thanks for the input.

The advert will be renewed tomorrow so i'll make a few alterations that have been mentionied here.

Only reason im selling really is so I can buy my dads which is newer and also a bargain !

hi Ian,

did you still want to sell your suspension seperately?

jesus man, prices have dropped SO much it's a joke.....

That car would have gone for 9 easily just a year ago, and now you can't even give it away!

Lovely spec too, with the extras and suspension upgrades.

Being pre facelift really does go against them now though, I've seen fairly tidy facelifts for as little as 7k on similar mileage.....

hi Ian,

did you still want to sell your suspension seperately?

Hi Jon,

Sorry for not being in touch, couldn't do anything with the car as it was advertised on the trader with the suspension.

For the time being I am going to leave it on the car as if it doesn't sell im going to keep it and im going to want it as it is.

jesus man, prices have dropped SO much it's a joke.....

That car would have gone for 9 easily just a year ago, and now you can't even give it away!

Lovely spec too, with the extras and suspension upgrades.

Being pre facelift really does go against them now though, I've seen fairly tidy facelifts for as little as 7k on similar mileage.....

Your not wrong, the current market is dead, I paid 8k for it only 9 months ago and I have had alot of work done to it :sob:

Stick it in AutoTrader if you haven't already. You get a much bigger audience that way.

i agree with Golf, i for one wouldnt use pistonheads as my first port of call.... autotrader and the 'like'

looks like a great car and if ithis was 8mornths ago when i bought my car i would've def had a look. think its more with the way things are currently mate.

Stick it in AutoTrader if you haven't already. You get a much bigger audience that way.

Paid the full £45 to get it in the mag for 3 weeks and on the website, only had two bits of contact from it, one email saying it was live and one saying the ad was finished !

I have always sold cars using autotrader within a day or two of the mag being out, just having no luck at the minute !

As others have said it's just the wrong time to be selling this kind of car. Nobody wants to be buying a car that is well known for having relatively high running costs, so straight away you are reducing your captive audience.

You may also find that having the uprated suspension on the car is putting people off. I appreciate that those of us who know what we're talking about would love to have your setup but your regular buyer will be thinking **modified car** and immediately think it's been abused and that things like insurance are going to be even more expensive. Because of this you're reducing your potential buyers even more.

Stick with it fella and you'll get there eventually.

Its just a really bad time to be selling ANYTHING at the moment. I work in vehicle finance and cars just aren't moving. Mine has been up for sale for nearly a month at a quite frankly, ridiculous price and still no takers!

You would not believe the prices that dealers are bidding people for cars that come in p/x. Got a client with an 07 X5 that he paid £51k for last June. It books trade at £34k and he is being bid around £28k!! This is one example of many!!

I have just spoken to a local dealer and he books my car at 5850 to buy it off me(2000 x S3 totally standard with 37k on it).
He informs me that a year or so ago S3's and TT's where easy to sell and now its the opposite.
Fortunately i'm in no hurry to sell so will advertise it every now and then and see what happens, you might have to do the same.
Nik.

i read one the other day advertising an Astra GSi with DUMP Valve which made me chuckle.... you'd think a dealer would know what a selling point was

Think the closest it is to standard the better as you WILL be stereo typed immediately by peoples subconcious

people are finding the price of borrowing cash higher, fuel higher, tax higher. It's crazy, but people are so hung up on this road tax nonsense, they are avoiding cars they can save a grand on and buying a cheap rubbish 30 quid a year tax car that is commanding a premium of about 500!

Just hang in there and be realsitic on price. Try a week of dropping the price seriously, to see if you get interest, too cheap though puts people off too! Remeber, your add is only an "invitation to treat", you need to get peeps along to see it and if you are not happy with anythig they offer, even if its asking price, you can always not sell it.

It's a bit too picey unfortuately at 6.6k with 90 k on it.

Stick it up at 6100 and hold out for it. Or be even riskier and go in at 5995.
You could spend 100 odd advertising it for nothing and 6k in the bank now will earn a bit of interest too.

actually scrpa that, with the billies on it you should be able to get 6500 for it no probs.

The problem I find with the s3 as it gets older is it it a small car inside. I was so disappointed with mine when i got it compared to my mk4 golf.

All cars are gettign bigger nowadays and people are used to a family hatch being a heck of a lot bigger now!

good luck with it!

Advert now updated.

Thanks for the comments on the ad.

Best see how it goes now, the ad will be renewed tomorrow so it will be back on the front page.

I only paid £6500 for myine 6 months ago with fsh and just over 100k on the clock and its a 2001!!!

The market has died.....good luck fella.

I think if I was buying one now, I wouldn't look at prefacelifts at all. For the extra pennies you may aswell get a facelift. That might be a big factor involved.