why do r32 cost more?

JUS3IN

14.0 @ 98mph 2s 60ft
Reaction score
does it bug anyone else that golf r32 cost so much more than the s3, the s3 is a better car imo although i like the look of mk4r32 a little more, why do they still go for 5k with 120k!?

limited numbers?
cult status?
better car?

Reactions: Ben jah min
i guess, i fancied one for ages and it bugged the hell outta me, im not spending 5-6k on a car with 120k lol, lately ive really gel'd with my s3 and ive killed loadsa r32 out and about inc mk5, they are not a better car imo, they look nice is all, guess they are just rarer and more desirable the golf community are loyal.

They're the perfect package I suppose.

If I found a nice mk4 example local, I'd consider changing even though I love the S3.

This is why they are worth more, V6 vs 1.8T, out the box, the R32 is a better machine, but with a few tweaks, the S3 is the better machine. Horses for courses really.

Reactions: Alex C, Gib and mark_S3
s3 is ageing better now i think...r32 are looking dated where the s3 is maturing imo.

Reactions: Zache
plus the v6 is a dying breed
small engine turbos are the way forward

But you'll never get this with a 4pot...

Reactions: Ben jah min, jojo and Mrharris2
Meh, I'd probably stay behind them to have a listen!

Reactions: JUS3IN and daz-20vt
Dunno why, they're slower, heavier and thirstier, not to mention interior is not a patch on the S3, also without spending another 5k, there's no real power gains to be had.

R32 is a muscle bound engine and miles better than the s3.
Its gots the best sound track for an affordable price.

Dunno why, they're slower, heavier and thirstier, not to mention interior is not a patch on the S3, also without spending another 5k, there's no real power gains to be had.
How are they slower? Out the box, they have a higher top speed than an 8L S3! They come with uprated ARBs that us S3 owners fit as an upgrade, they have 334mm brakes, we have 312mm. But bear in mind the S3 specs started from 1999, the R32 was only available for a few years?

125hp wet nitrous kit &map = 350HP across a much wider power band. Sub £1000 for the lot.

Not a 4 banger engine, makes 220 ftlbs from 2k revs, 270hp after a basic map, sounds infinitely better than a 1.8, Same if not better mpg - I've never got 43 mpg in my 8l, konig seats **** on the OE a3 recaro's, 50 kg heavier than an s3 from the 2 cylinders the s3 is missing!

Also fit a HGP kit and it does this to essex barry boys baiting races, looool

Theres no argument once you take 20vt blinkers off. Its a more desirable car with vastly more room for tuning provided your pockets are deep enough - how much would you need to spend to build a 500+ hp 20v? comparable to a '32 build and you'd be building a more highly strung lump as you'd have less displacement.

I have to disagree with you there Ben jah min, like for like standard, the R32 is probably a slightly better machine, but if you talk about tuning terms, apart from having a V6 engine, the S3 is more easily tuned. To get 500BHP out of an R32 is basically an HPA £10k conversion, and when was the last time you saw someone track one of those? 500BHP 8L's are rare, but I don't think you need to throw £10k to achieve that figure.

" I find all the VAG blown 4 pots a bit souless

R32 not the fastest car but its dripping in soul "

A quote which is so true

Reactions: superkarl, vivalacoulter, Lavis89 and 1 other person
gotta love that sound, its all about the noise and bragging rights of a 3.2 v6... to most of us power is much more accessable and reliable in an s3 so as far as tuning the s3 wins, future classic defo goes to the r32. what im getting at is the s3 being underated, an r32 overated.

Car pages quote the r32 as being 140kg heavier than the S3, standard BAM is quicker to 60 ( only 0.1 but still quicker), only three mph slower top speed, uprated wishbones to help turn in with the great big lump of pig iron under the bonnet, just a few hundred quid on a stage one remap, S3 will kill the R, but you can't argue with the soundtrack.

The exclusivity helps as well seeing as they are considerably rarer than a s3 8l.

This is one of the reasons im struggling to decide on my next car. It's either going to be a 8p3 s3 or a s5. S3 is a lot more tuneable but the s5 is just so much better looking (imo) and the v8 sound track can't be argued with. I also see 8p s3s everywhere, whereas i've only seen couple of s5s in the flesh

I think if they had put the 3.2 V6 in the 8L in 1999, we'd have a lot of charged 3.2's on todays roads

I like the shape of the 8L more than the MK4 Golf, but the V6 sound track replaces the boost for me

Reactions: superkarl, jojo, badger5 and 1 other person
125hp wet nitrous kit &map = 350HP across a much wider power band. Sub £1000 for the lot.

Not a 4 banger engine, makes 220 ftlbs from 2k revs, 270hp after a basic map, sounds infinitely better than a 1.8, Same if not better mpg - I've never got 43 mpg in my 8l, konig seats **** on the OE a3 recaro's, 50 kg heavier than an s3 from the 2 cylinders the s3 is missing!

Also fit a HGP kit and it does this to essex barry boys baiting races, looool

Theres no argument once you take 20vt blinkers off. Its a more desirable car with vastly more room for tuning provided your pockets are deep enough - how much would you need to spend to build a 500+ hp 20v? comparable to a '32 build and you'd be building a more highly strung lump as you'd have less displacement.

>>>>>provided your pockets are deep enough<<<<

nail on head

Reactions: vivalacoulter
I think if they had put the 3.2 V6 in the 8L in 1999, we'd have a lot of charged 3.2's on todays roads

I like the shape of the 8L more than the MK4 Golf, but the V6 sound track replaces the boost for me
It's not just the sound is it Sandip? You get great flexibility with the 3.2 V6, it would pull off in 4th gear smoothly, and pull strongly in 5th gear from idle.

I think S5's are rare is because people who can spend that sort of money when new, just went straight for the RS5 instead for a few grand more, S6's are pretty cheap now, but not much quicker than an S3 though.

If your rich the 32 lump of will obv make more if your chasing big power, fact is if your on a regular wage you arnt gonna be willing to spend out for 4k supercharger kits ect so you are stuck at 280bhp unless you go nos which is nearly never used on the road and puts a massive ? On reliability. only after 340bhp does it get really expensive and un reliable in an 8l.

It's not just the sound is it Sandip? You get great flexibility with the 3.2 V6, it would pull off in 4th gear smoothly, and pull strongly in 5th gear from idle.

No i guess it's not just the sound, i'm so used to putting it in higher gears now and using the low down torque to pull away, infact my car pretty much lives in 4th/6th gear

I've looked into a progressive NOS kit but i think realistically charging it would be more sensible long term...but it's quite expensive if you want big power

Without lowering the compression with a spacer and just chucking a charger on it, i think it was around 5k fitted using a C38-94 Rotrex Supercharger for 330ish bhp, with injectors and different pulley it'll be around 410 then after i think it's recommended to start lowering compression

Personally 'if i could' i'd go for a twin turbo set up but then it's going to cost ALOT more

No i guess it's not just the sound, i'm so used to putting it in higher gears now and using the low down torque to pull away, infact my car pretty much lives in 4th/6th gear

I've looked into a progressive NOS kit but i think realistically charging it would be more sensible long term...but it's quite expensive if you want big power
/QUOTE]

Ive got a wizards kit with the progressive controller I've just removed from my old VR, fitted with 100hp jets iirc I've got to get pictures etc before i list it, drop me a pm if youre interested.

The 20v / V6 debate is as old as the engines themselves, horses for courses and all that but getting in my 8l just feels a bit gutless and i have to ring its neck before it gets exciting, with the VR its straight on the button with masses of torque immediately, which makes for much a nicer ride IMO.

Reactions: Sandip
I do think the s3 8l is coming back if not arrived , and now is much cooler and dated better than the vw , the four rings will always be better than the vw

Reactions: Jeriho and Clart
I do think the s3 8l is coming back if not arrived , and now is much cooler and dated better than the vw , the four rings will always be better than the vw

I will second that! Amen

Reactions: Zache
There is no replacement for displacement.

That may not be true for power and performance. But from a driving pleasure point of view it definitely is.

Blown v6 ftw. Not as expensive or as difficult as some people believe, HPA isn't the be all and end all

There is no replacement for displacement.

That may not be true for power and performance. But from a driving pleasure point of view it definitely is.

Blown v6 ftw. Not as expensive or as difficult as some people believe, HPA isn't the be all and end all

How much do you think it would cost?