Why did you buy an S3?

The 107 v Aygo v C1 debate is far more entertaining I expect

You'd be surprised just how vociferous it gets between those 3 "identical" cars ;)

Eg
Why does the C1 eat clutches at 6000miles and the Aygo has a different clutch fitted, which doesn't munch as rapidly ;)

You'd be surprised just how vociferous it gets between those 3 "identical" cars ;)

Eg
Why does the C1 eat clutches at 6000miles and the Aygo has a different clutch fitted, which doesn't munch as rapidly ;)

The tinny rattle of the C1 is particularly offensive and the Aygo is way to quiet, thats why I picked the 107...whoops wrong forum!!!!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06, Pulp84 and veeeight
The tinny rattle of the C1 is particularly offensive and the Aygo is way to quiet, thats why I picked the 107...whoops wrong forum!!!!!!

In all seriousness the new aygo's are brilliant as it the new hyundai i10. Oops wrong badges :kissmyrings:

Newsflash - Some people don't agree on an internet forum ! God it would be so boring if everyone agreed :sleeping:

I bought my S3 for

Quattro drive
Power
Quality/Looks
Price (including low depreciation and running costs)
Practicality (kids,bikes,dog)
Manual Box (rules out S4 , S5, Macan, Mercs)
Monopur

Other cars i considered were M235i , E92M3 , S5 -V8

Reactions: Jassyo06
Wow didn't expect some of you to behave like trannies with a handbag! :oops:

I can't seem to go past an A3 hatchback, now 10 years in them I did plan to move on but when I sat in the 8V S3, plus I was having a hard time...plus the S3 was like the best of the A3 range..ever..imo...plus the interior....I will stop there!

I like your (the ones that actually stuck to the question) inputs btw guys n girls

:audibash:

I bought my S3 for

Quattro drive
Power
Quality/Looks
Price (including low depreciation and running costs)
Practicality (kids,bikes,dog)
Manual Box (rules out S4 , S5, Macan, Mercs)
Monopur

Other cars i considered were M235i , E92M3 , S5 -V8

In considering others I considered similar but the E92 just doesn't suit me. The only coupe I like is the RS5 but it's too much of a car for me right now.

Having come from two SEAT Leon Cupra’s, I was looking for something discrete, understated and not too ‘in your face’ as a replacement. My S3 fits the bill perfectly, for brand, tech and performance (such as I need or want) and unless you happen to be an Audi officianado, most people just see it as a ‘nice’ A3, which is how I like it.
From my experience I've never had so many admiring remarks from passers by of all ages. (So much for understated)

I purchased mine because it's easily the best car in its class.

Discuss...

Reactions: Nikon, Psyman79 and Simon L

Discuss...

Nothing to discuss mate, it's the right answer ;)

Reactions: Nikon, Psyman79 and pat15312
Putting aside launching, straight line speed, etc and the fact that some FWD hatches are allegedly quicker round corners, I know for a fact that I can get from Aberdeen to Ballater quicker than a Fiesta ST and most other cars for that matter, that's good enough for me. If you look at the complete picture not just track performance it's a very capable car.
I've had a similar experiences on the GSXR. On a ride to Tyndrum I couldn't shake a Subaru P1 on some twisties but over a 3 mile stint he was left well behind.
I agree it's not the car for everyone and I honestly don't care if others believe a Fiat 500 corners better as long as I get there 1st

Reactions: PrancingPanda, Psyman79, sunscreemer and 1 other person
I've 'side-graded/upgraded/downgraded' from an M135i (both cars have their positives and negatives and neither are perfect).

The M135i certainly feels faster than the S3 but it doesn't feel as well built and can feel a bit 'floaty' at high speed. It can also be a bit of a handful in the wet. I do a fair amount of mileage so I wanted a comfortable, fast and stylish car - so I chose the S3 Saloon and it delivers. The Audi's interior is a nice place to be. At a steady motorway cruise the S3 is incredibly quiet and refined. I like the B&O sound which makes a difference to my sanity on a long round trip from London to Manchester. Traction is excellent and never in question. Certainly it feels more 'planted' than the M135i though it does lack that chassis adjustability where the M135i feels like it's pivoting beneath you. Horses for courses. I'll keep the S3 Saloon for a couple of years. Where to next is anyone's guess - maybe the new A4?

Reactions: Simon L
Wanted an upgrade to my A3 SB 2.0TDi (150BHP) ....

and the S3 SB is....

An Audi
Fast
An "S car"
and by the time you factor in full leather seats and progressive steering the manual S3 is the same price as a 2.0Tdi (184 BHP) Quattro s tronic

so...............forget the running costs and enjoy

Putting aside launching, straight line speed, etc and the fact that some FWD hatches are allegedly quicker round corners, I know for a fact that I can get from Aberdeen to Ballater quicker than a Fiesta ST and most other cars for that matter, that's good enough for me. If you look at the complete picture not just track performance it's a very capable car.
I've had a similar experiences on the GSXR. On a ride to Tyndrum I couldn't shake a Subaru P1 on some twisties but over a 3 mile stint he was left well behind.
I agree it's not the car for everyone and I honestly don't care if others believe a Fiat 500 corners better as long as I get there 1st

Straight line speed = one dimensional car :p

(My very own opinion, obviously, yours may vary ;) )

As I've previously stated, I have no issues with cornering, I'm just saying the complaints from others are a non-issue for me as it doesn't hinder my progress. I don't want to feel like I'm going somewhere fast, I want to go somewhere fast.
A 600 sportsbike will nip at the heels of 1000 when ridden right on the bends but from A to B the bigger bike will win (with equal riders). For me it's the same with the S3, it does the job and it can switch to a family car too.
I honestly think some people have bought the wrong car for their needs if it doesn't click with them.
Nobody's right or wrong but my S3 Saloon hasn't been troubled by anything.....yet

Reactions: Psyman79
Just be done with it and buy an Elise or Exige :)

Can't fit skis in ;)

I honestly think some people have bought the wrong car for their needs if it doesn't click with them.

All I want is the 8V S3 to have more grip and handle "better" than my 8P S3. I don't that that's too much to expect of a modern 8V ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Blackwhite and Martinbanshee
That's a fair request. I suppose I'm just glad the S3 works for me, if not everyone. You know you could always get a ski rack for that Lotus

Reactions: veeeight
I don't think it actually handles that bad myself , but I must admit you cant feel whats happening through the steering wheel at all. If i could sort that out then all boxes would be ticked for me.

As quoted by Chris Harris on his twitter feed the other day ......"if the new RS3 is anything like the new S3 it will be very good indeed. And hopefully it won't arrive at my house in an amniotic sac"

Praise indeed for the S3. Makes me feel better about it :)

Reactions: gordie1973 and Sandra
It really is a capable car, it just doesn't suit some people that have different expectations. That certainly doesn't make them wrong, it's just not the car for them. Now, If the S3 had the sweet sound of the VR6 engine I'd be totally satisfied.

Discuss...

No discussion needed here with me either, completely agree on that statement - does everything I want and then some....

Oh, and the clincher was the farty exhaust noise on up shifts.......!

Yeah, love the burps/farts on upshifts, I didn't think they'd be so noticeable but they sound great.

Downshifts with the paddle sound pretty good too, had a few looks pulling up to junctions :)

Reactions: Simon L and Martinbanshee
The rev matching on downshift works really well, you can bang down the gears knowing it won't select a gear it can't handle

Not too sure on that one, not used manual mode much and it just seems to be changing down 2nd to 1st as the noise makes me smile.

Straight line speed in my opinion is extremely boring to me,thats a Rep mobile thing,B roads is where its at for sheer driving pleasure which is sadly the S3's Achilles heel of which a 297 bhp £33k hot hatchback shouldnt have

Reactions: CraigI, veeeight and PrancingPanda
I agree Jassyo.

The feeling of occasion and being hunkered down as you take that corner flat in a proper sports car such as a Cayman or 911 is a world away from how it feels in an S3.

Which is what you'd expect of course as it's a sporty A3 not Porsche
You dont need to go as far as a Caymen. Off the top of my head there are 3 hatchbacks that are more than able to run rings round both versions S3/Golf R,but you dont buy a Audi/VW if you want a drivers car,from start to finish Audi have got it sussed....Marketing,Showroom appeal,perception of quality,exclusive branch and so on Win,Win,my son earns £6k a month selling them they've got it all sewn up

<sarcasm>Yeah, I was well and truly fooled by Audi, what an idiot I am, DOH!
They won't get me again though, I'll be straight down to Ford to get me one of them Fiesta ST weapons</sarcasm>

Reactions: Simon L, Psyman79 and monopole
<sarcasm>Yeah, I was well and truly fooled by Audi, what an idiot I am, DOH!
They won't get me again though, I'll be straight down to Ford to get me one of them Fiesta ST weapons</sarcasm>

Who mentioned a fiesta,oh you did,who mentioned being fooled,you did lol,who is being fooled no one, whats wrong with a Ford anyhow?
the S3 works for you thats all that matters,but l am entitled to my opinion,as for the Showroom appeal Audi do it better than any mass produced car maker,the Brands percieved quality is beyond reproach,but at the end of the day the S3 should have better road handling

....because Audi MADE you buy a car, you THEN complain about the handling (on the car they MADE you buy and part above 30k for..) and you do it to complete strangers on a forum... hmmmm...

bad Audi. how dare you.

....shoulda done a proper test drive before parting with a good chunk of money eh! lesson learnt? I doubt it.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
The S3 is a lovely car which appeals to me because it's quick and handsome in an understated way and it certainly has the best interior in its class by miles. The car has a refinement and solidity which other less premium marques struggle to achieve... and when it's time to trade in it will be worth more than 10p (compared with the better handling hot hatch competition such as the RS Megane...)

Reactions: Jassyo06, pat15312, Martinbanshee and 2 others
Yep.

S cars should have steering and handling to match the badge :p

(else you might as well put a bigger engine in a S-line :p )

I bought my S3 to replace my Evo, as in terms of setup the features I liked on my Evo - Quattro and and SST box - were replicated on the S3. Also the S3 was a tad more comfortable, had a useable boot and the wife liked it because it didn't have a large. shopping handle spoiler on the rear LOL.

Whilst I love driving my S3, I have to say since it failed on me big time in rush hour traffic in the outside lane of the M25 recently, and, from reading about others who have had other "failures" on here, it's made me doubt the reliability (mine has only done 8k miles in a year). Whilst I accept its a mass-produced car, it does nevertheless command a substantial premium, and is the top of the range from across the Skoda/SEAT/VW/Audi range, and I'm afraid that the number of failures and concerns I've read on here - turbo rattling, turbo failures, water pumps, fuel pumps, injectors etc - just make me wonder how reliable it really is. I was going to keep mine long term, but to be honest I think I'll be selling it before the warranty runs out. I was going to get another, possibly an RS, but we'll see, at present, whilst mine has been fixed and now runs as well it did before the failure, the fact that it was running perfectly right up until the minute it failed on me (turbo, 2 injectors and high pressure fuel pump), always leaves a nagging doubt in my mind now when I'm driving it that it will let me down again. We'll see how it performs over the next year before I finally decide. Its a lovely motor - but to me reliability now is a big question mark which needs to prove itself before I get another. The next year will tell I guess.