Why did you buy an S3?

The answers to all your questions have been answered numerous times before.

It appears that nobody, apart from you, actually wants to hear them again, so you could always do a search for yourself ;)

Perhaps it's you who are trolling, as all your recent posts seem to be wanting to make it about me?! :D

(Obviously I can't help being popular, but please, stick to the topic, or the car, and not make all your posts about me ;) )

Reactions: kanecullen89 and Pulp84
and I notice you whistled for your pet pup to turn up as well.
@Foxtrot_Oscar - I'm assuming this is aimed at me ...:think:

Part of my job on ASN as a Moderator is to read as many threads/posts as I can, if you didn't know that already

If you don't like what your reading, don't read or participate in the thread. Then you can't get yourself all wound up my friend :thumbs up:

Then you can't get yourself all wound up my friend :thumbs up:
Far from being wound up, mate. Just sick of reading the same crap on what used to be a good forum for like-minded people. As it is now about one person and nobody else is allowed an opinion or they are a fan boy, I'll take your advice and avoid the forums. I'm sure many others will as well, if they haven't already left the door open.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and monopole
Far from being wound up, mate. Just sick of reading the same **** on what used to be a good forum for like-minded people. As it is now about one person and nobody else is allowed an opinion or they are a fan boy, I'll take your advice and avoid the forums. I'm sure many others will as well, if they haven't already left the door open.
Thats fair enough FO

Just couldn't understand the attack on me TBH :think:

Far from being wound up, mate. Just sick of reading the same **** on what used to be a good forum for like-minded people. As it is now about one person and nobody else is allowed an opinion or they are a fan boy, I'll take your advice and avoid the forums. I'm sure many others will as well, if they haven't already left the door open.

It's not the whole forum it's just the 8v section which has become the 8 v8 section,I'm just glad they didn't put the 8vRS3 in this section like some people wanted .

Reactions: Simon L, sunscreemer, Martinbanshee and 2 others
Interior, tech, brand, 4WD, right size and door configuration, no silly spoilers and enjoyed the A3 8P 1.8 TFSI I once had.

Have to ask - what's with the popcorn ? Straight over my head - whoosh !!

Just some party snacks for watching the spectacle (argument) develop.

Reactions: Pulp84 and Rob2k68
It's not the whole forum it's just the 8v section which has become the 8 v8 section,I'm just glad they didn't put the 8vRS3 in this section like some people wanted .

Yes, because one person in a forum of 96,329 registered members is such a threat (no available stats for just the 8V section, I'm afraid). Please get things in perspective ;)

(Someone has already offered to buy me a RS3 so that I can review it and be complimentary about it in the RS3 section, that did make me giggle :) )

Edit:
Ooh, someone has just sent me the following stats. There are (at this moment) 120,332 posts in the 8V section, assuming all my cumulative posts are wholly in the 8V section (which they aren't), that would account for 3.7% of posts from V8 in the 8V :D ). There we have it, the whole section ruined by one person !!

Last edited:
:audibash:
Yes, because one person in a forum of 96,329 registered members is such a threat (no available stats for just the 8V section, I'm afraid). Please get things in perspective ;)

(Someone has already offers to buy me a RS3 so that I can review it and be complimentary about it in the RS3 section, that did make me giggle :) )

I'm thinking about buying you the new Focus RS that you can't wait to test drive so you can go and join the Ford RS forum.:audibash:

:audibash:

I'm thinking about buying you the new Focus RS that you can't wait to test drive so you can go and join the Ford RS forum.:audibash:

Now that, I would gladly accept :)

The thought of that car does genuinely make me get excited!!!
(being totally honest)

Reactions: Blackwhite, Pulp84 and DAYTONA 500
Enough. Keep this thread on topic or i will hand out some garden leave to give you all a chance to cool down. I dont want to read any more personal attacks on each other.

Reactions: Daveotto, drummerdimitri and Bristle Hound
On a serious note were you exited when you first got you're S3?.

When I first got my 8P S3, yes I was. I kept that for 2 years and it didn't lose its appeal. I knew the limitations of that car, and drove around those, and it kept me smiling throughout my ownership.

When I first got my 8V S3, yes I was excited for the first couple of months. The new platform was a large improvement in some areas (eg interior, MMI), a small improvement in others (eg steering feel) but seemingly a backward step in some areas (eg suspension setup). I initially put down some of the characteristics to new bushes, but 12 months and 12,000 miles in, the excitement and appeal has gone with respect to driving dynamics and actually driving the car. Some things you just can't uncover on a test drive (even an extended drive), for example the high speed handling and cornering characteristics coupled with differing road undulations and surfaces. As a straight line machine it's a very very good car. You do get seduced by the straight line performance. But for me that is a one-dimensional proposition and ultimately not what I'm looking for.

To answer the OP and the topic - Why did I buy a S3 8V?
Because I had high hopes and high expectations of the 8V platform, seeing as it was 10 years on in terms of development from the 8P platform, and I had hoped that it would match at least the current market offerings in terms of driving dynamics :)

(And I even managed to write all that without mentioning the G word.... ;) )

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Psyman79
My previous winter beater/daily driver was having too many issues on the "highway through hell" in winter ( http://highwaythruhell.discovery.ca/ ). I was looking for;
1. AWD, preferably fwd biased for long stretches of black-ice (60km is my record so far, with 800m elevation gain)
2. heated mirrors, washer fluid, headlight washers
3. enough grunt to get back up to speed on a 10% grade (250hp or better)
4. enough room to throw a road bike in the trunk with the seats down
5. auto my wife could drive
6. enough room for adult kids in the back
7. smaller footprint for tight city maneuvering/parking

we've already got a weekend car, a 348 spider, so steering feel/driving dynamics wasn't as important.

The new platform was a large improvement in some areas (eg interior, MMI), a small improvement in others (eg steering feel) but seemingly a backward step in some areas (eg suspension setup). I initially put down some of the characteristics to new bushes,

I fail to see how the foliage at the end of your street affected the handling of your S3 :tumble:.....or was it a different kind of bush.....:undwech:

Reactions: Pulp84, DAYTONA 500, Martinbanshee and 1 other person
When I first got my 8P S3, yes I was. I kept that for 2 years and it didn't lose its appeal. I knew the limitations of that car, and drove around those, and it kept me smiling throughout my ownership.

When I first got my 8V S3, yes I was excited for the first couple of months. The new platform was a large improvement in some areas (eg interior, MMI), a small improvement in others (eg steering feel) but seemingly a backward step in some areas (eg suspension setup). I initially put down some of the characteristics to new bushes, but 12 months and 12,000 miles in, the excitement and appeal has gone with respect to driving dynamics and actually driving the car. Some things you just can't uncover on a test drive (even an extended drive), for example the high speed handling and cornering characteristics coupled with differing road undulations and surfaces. As a straight line machine it's a very very good car. You do get seduced by the straight line performance. But for me that is a one-dimensional proposition and ultimately not what I'm looking for.

To answer the OP and the topic - Why did I buy a S3 8V?
Because I had high hopes and high expectations of the 8V platform, seeing as it was 10 years on in terms of development from the 8P platform, and I had hoped that it would match at least the current market offerings in terms of driving dynamics :)

(And I even managed to write all that without mentioning the G word.... ;) )

That's fair enough, I understand your frustration but we don't all feel like that. I, like many here are very happy and I get the impression that you are determined to undermine everyone else's views. That may not be the case but it does come across like that, unfortunately.
As I've said before, you're very helpful at times but at times very negative, bordering on trolling.
At the end of the day I don't want anyone to hide their true feelings towards the car but sometimes (not always) it's better saying nothing if you can't say anything good.
Keep up the good work in the better threads though V8

Reactions: T-800, DAYTONA 500 and Simon L
one person instigates this type of behavior in every thread they post in.................. and everyone else gets a warning. Nicely moderated :think:

I only see one side of the so called "conversation" as the person in mention is on my ignore list, but I can only image how it went.....

I really don't understand, if there is so much hate for the car you buy, sell, move on, good riddance.

Anyhoo, I won't visit the A3 section much longer, no disrespect, love the car (8V), just gonna make my home over the RS3 section. And if said member moves into there also, goodbye ASN. I'll just enjoy my car without seeing 1 sided "conversations" which result in them getting a warning. Can't get my head round it. I hear what you are saying FO, totally agree.

Reactions: sunscreemer and voorhees
That's fair enough, I understand your frustration but we don't all feel like that. I, like many here are very happy and I get the impression that you are determined to undermine everyone else's views. That may not be the case but it does come across like that, unfortunately.
As I've said before, you're very helpful at times but at times very negative, bordering on trolling.
At the end of the day I don't want anyone to hide their true feelings towards the car but sometimes (not always) it's better saying nothing if you can't say anything good.
Keep up the good work in the better threads though V8

I'm not a pic n mix menu ;) LOL

You get it all, totally unbiased :)
(But anyone can press the ignore button to shield themselves too ;) )

If people start having a pop at me, then I'm entitled to respond.
And when challenged to justify my experiences, I explain, then it all gets out of hand because it's seen as trying to undermine other views. A self fulfilling prophecy if ever I've seen one. :) Which is why I'm always keen to keep it about the car, and never about me.

OK seriously now, let's move it on from me me me, and keep it focussed on the car, good or bad ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra, Bristle Hound, Pulp84 and 2 others
Now that, I would gladly accept :)

The thought of that car does genuinely make me get excited!!!
(being totally honest)

Only if I get the first ride! ;)

Reactions: Sandra, Bristle Hound, veeeight and 1 other person
I went from an M135i to an A6 3.0Bi-TDi which looked particularly awesome, sounded great, and accelerated like it was trying to breach earth's atmosphere. But....the steering was horrendous, and it was far too big for me. I wanted back into a performance hatch, but didnt want to revist M135i, or Focus ST so it was between this and the Golf R. Since I hadnt been on this forum to see how many millions of times better the Golf R is :), I chose the S3!

Please all just take a good drink and keep cool.....

Reactions: Simon L
Most interesting thread I've read since I've been moderately lurking around here :biggrin new: Anyway, on topic, I originally chose the car for the most important thing, the badge.

:undwech:

Reactions: tjacoby and Simon L
I chose the S3 because my wife likes it ;)

First car she's shown any interest in in the 25 years we've been together. I couldn't sign the invoice fast enough.................... :)

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Nikon
I really don't understand how annoyed people are getting with veeeight's views. He owns the car and has a right to make his opinion of the car known as many times as he likes.

It's not the right of other people to try to break down his character in order to somehow invalidate his opinion.

Veeeight has actually posted videos showing his experience of the handling issues with his car.
If you're in love with your S3 then that's great but don't think everyone else has to be and don't get offended when somebody thinks that the car you love so much isn't that great.

I don't know veeeight personally. This is just an independent spectators view

Reactions: glospete, Sandra, CraigI and 4 others
^ Thank you for your kind words, you're a brave person ;)

The amusing thing is that I didn't even mention my car or my issues once in this thread to start off, I only mentioned, that in certain circumstances, the M135i could/would be quicker, and someone chose to wrestle the thread round to it being all about me and my car, and then have a pop at a Moderator as well ;)

Internet forums are wonderful places :)

I bought an S3 as it's (on paper) it's the car that fits my needs ..

It's a good looking car inside and out, it's rapid (and getting quicker by the day now I'm over 3K miles), it's relatively cheap to run and insure, it has the advantage of good traction for living in the north of Scotland (although we didn't get much snow this year). So on paper it's an ideal car for my needs.

No car is perfect and it's let down by the throttle response (all turbo cars are I guess to some extent), it's floaty handling at speed on B-roads (in my opinion), the noise (it's too quiet even in dynamic, and I guess it's a 4 pot so will never sound particularly tuneful) and, again for me, lacks a bit of character.

I do think it's a very good car but lacks a bit of sparkle :(

Reactions: Simon L
I bought mine as I had an s3 8p and with a new born on the way needed the extra doors and always fancied 1 since they had been reliesed. It fits all my needs family wise and has the fun factor as well

It was between this and the 8p rs3.

I test drove the M135i before ordering the S3. The M135i on paper isn't that much faster, although it does feel faster. Perhaps it's because it is RWD, and it pushes you along, whereas the S3 is AWD and pushes/pulls you in equal measure. I have always found AWD/FWD cars to feel far less brutal when accelerating hard.

Apart from performance, I thought the S3 to be the superior car in terms of looks, comfort and practicality. Also, BMW rip you off far more than Audi do when you get around to adding extras.

Apparently the next 1 series is going to be FWD only. It will be interesting to see if they bother with a performance model, and if so, how they avoid the inevitable handfuls of torque steer.

I ordered one so I could come on here and slag it off to everyone... no, seriously...

I had an 8P 2.0 TDI quattro which was the best all round car i've ever owned. When that was due for replacement it was right in the middle of the model change from 8P to 8V and I couIdn't get the same car again. Despite being willing to compromise on the model (by sticking with a 3 door and going for the 1.8 petrol quattro rather than the 2.0 diesel quattro) the Audi dealership was terrible. So, I ended up getting a BMW 3 series petrol, which is great although a bit bigger than I really need (1 Series at the time ugly and not available in spec. I wanted).

Time to change again and having specced up the 8V equivalent of my old 8P I realised that the S3 wasn't much different in purchase price but probably with a higher residual. I had been considering going for something with a bit more poke this time (had been looking at going to a 330d) and so test drove the S3.

What clinched it?

Looks - inside and out and isn't too obvious (I love German design, for me it's not plain/boring it's stylish and functional).
Handling - it just feels planted, especially compared to the 3 series (I had xDrive which is not full M Sport suspension) and I felt the quattro worked better than the xDrive does
Performance - refined and predictable for the daily grind when I either can't put my foot down or don't want to, but a bucket full of torque and pace when I need it or just want a little fun
Feel - to be honest the Audi just "suits" me, it just feels a more natural place for me to sit than the BMW (hard to explain)
Dealership - far better this time

I'm well aware it won't be perfect, but no car is and what's an advantage to one of us is a disadvantage to another, so I think I know what i'm letting myself in for and looking forward to it.

Reactions: monopole, Simon L, Nikon and 1 other person
I test drove the M135i before ordering the S3. The M135i on paper isn't that much faster, although it does feel faster. Perhaps it's because it is RWD, and it pushes you along, whereas the S3 is AWD and pushes/pulls you in equal measure. I have always found AWD/FWD cars to feel far less brutal when accelerating hard.

Apart from performance, I thought the S3 to be the superior car in terms of looks, comfort and practicality. Also, BMW rip you off far more than Audi do when you get around to adding extras.

Apparently the next 1 series is going to be FWD only. It will be interesting to see if they bother with a performance model, and if so, how they avoid the inevitable handfuls of torque steer.

A properly set up FWD car will run rings around a S3, even with less power.
Although the S3 is more FWD than AWD.

Reactions: veeeight and kanecullen89
A properly set up FWD car will run rings around a S3, even with less power.
Although the S3 is more FWD than AWD.

Yep, I've no doubt that's true, but as you can see from some of the comments above there's a fair few S3 owners (or soon to be owners) that really don't care.

There's a lot more to car ownership (even performance cars) than street racing, blatting round country roads and launch control youtube vids. Some of us need a comfortable commuter, some have family considerations and some just want the badge! As the guy on one of the youtube review videos said 'you can take your granny for a spin and she won't yell at you' :)

Don't get me wrong I'll defintely be up for a 'flutter' at the lights.................but only if I'm absolutely sure I'm gonna win ;) (which means I'll definitely avoid other S3 drivers in case it's one of you herberts with a stage 2)

Oh and my reasons apart from the missus likes it:

Superb styling (understated but classy)
Practical enough for my needs
Fast
Love the interior
S-Tronic

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyB-S3, Psyman79, NickyF and 3 others
Because it's not a GOLF! :jester:

Reactions: jaypers777, Simon L, Kugaman1 and 1 other person
Yep, I've no doubt that's true, but as you can see from some of the comments above there's a fair few S3 owners (or soon to be owners) that really don't care.

There's a lot more to car ownership (even performance cars) than street racing, blatting round country roads and launch control youtube vids. Some of us need a comfortable commuter, some have family considerations and some just want the badge! As the guy on one of the youtube review videos said 'you can take your granny for a spin and she won't yell at you' :)

Don't get me wrong I'll defintely be up for a 'flutter' at the lights.................but only if I'm absolutely sure I'm gonna win ;) (which means I'll definitely avoid other S3 drivers in case it's one of you herberts with a stage 2)

Oh and my reasons apart from the missus likes it:

Superb styling (understated but classy)
Practical enough for my needs
Fast
Love the interior
S-Tronic

This sums it up for me. I commute 50 miles a day into London and have almost no chance of throwing it around corners, I'm normally sitting in traffic or on the motorway. On the rare occasion I do get the chance to put my foot down, I like the way it goes. For me it's a normal car with the bonus that it goes fast when i ask it to. The fact that I got 40mpg (according to the DIS) driving to Southampton and back (to watch Villa get thumped 6-1 :( ) is a massive bonus. I have no problem with the handling, except I have experienced the high speed pogo stick once or twice, that's not fun.

These threads always come to the same conclusion: if you expect the "S" on the back to mean it's a sports car you're going to be disappointed. If you expect the car to be like an A3 but go like **** off a shovel you'll be happy.

Reactions: Nikon, Foxtrot_Oscar, sunscreemer and 4 others
Yawn....I think this is all my fault, ever since I ordered my S3 the debate on here has got boring and repetitive.

Maybe I will cancel my S3 order and just drive my daughters Peugeot 107 when she goes back to uni instead

The 107 v Aygo v C1 debate is far more entertaining I expect

Reactions: Pulp84, Cymru09, Foxtrot_Oscar and 2 others
Having come from two SEAT Leon Cupra’s, I was looking for something discrete, understated and not too ‘in your face’ as a replacement. My S3 fits the bill perfectly, for brand, tech and performance (such as I need or want) and unless you happen to be an Audi officianado, most people just see it as a ‘nice’ A3, which is how I like it.

Reactions: Simon L, monopole, Foxtrot_Oscar and 2 others