why are my heaters so cold.!!!!

steveydj70

Reaction score
i have a 2007 a3 sportback 1.9tdi and for the last 3 months of ownership everything was great.until 10 days ago when my heater refused to part with any hot air.took it to a garage and they said it could be an airlock or blockage so cooling system was flushed and refilled with coolant.No change.replaced thermostat but still no change.the heater works on all 4 settings and the heatwer matrix is getting hot but still no heat from the vents.can anyone on here help please as its the coldest its ever been and im freezing!!!

What is your temp gauge showing on the dash clocks?

I'm unsure of whether it will help but on the old climate control modules, you could go into a sort of 'Tech mode' where it will give you the readings from various sensors. If the same sort of thing exists on the 8p version, then it may be a decent troubleshooting tool to check what it's reading or where there may be a fault

are they completely cold or luke warm? if they're blowing warm but not hot, you could still have air in your system. I ran my engine at temp and took the coolant cap off for a while, til it flushed the air out, you have to keep your eye on the temp gauge and the coolant level while doing it.

If that isn't the issue you could possibly have heater matrix issues?

How do you know the heater matrix is hot? If it is, its probably the mixer flap that is jammed on cold or the drive motor failed. Do you have the dual zone climate control or the more basic system?

What is your temp gauge showing on the dash clocks?

I'm unsure of whether it will help but on the old climate control modules, you could go into a sort of 'Tech mode' where it will give you the readings from various sensors. If the same sort of thing exists on the 8p version, then it may be a decent troubleshooting tool to check what it's reading or where there may be a fault
my temp gague gets to 90 degrees and stays there.

are they completely cold or luke warm? if they're blowing warm but not hot, you could still have air in your system. I ran my engine at temp and took the coolant cap off for a while, til it flushed the air out, you have to keep your eye on the temp gauge and the coolant level while doing it.

If that isn't the issue you could possibly have heater matrix issues?
they are blowing completely cold.its as if the air con is stuck on.

How do you know the heater matrix is hot? If it is, its probably the mixer flap that is jammed on cold or the drive motor failed. Do you have the dual zone climate control or the more basic system?
on the passenger side you can see and touch the silver pipes that go to the heater matrix.they are both hot!!

mine is just the basic heater system.the left hand flap motor which controls the hot and cold knob has been changed and works

I'd second the burp procedure and many on here have flushed out the matrix which according to many has a lot of gunk in there

I have a weird thing of, if I turn left the blowers blow out cold air, n if I go right there is no change in temperature.

I literally only "remember" when it happens, I never remember when I've stopped and am able to climb in to the footwell to see if something dodgy is happening.

Have you plugged your car into Vcd's and went to the heater module and tested the flaps are all opening . You can run a test to check to see if it all works .

Sounds to me like the stepper motor that opens the flap to let in hot air. VCDS will confirm if it is.