Why am I getting an Error Code?

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
I fitted my cruise control kit today and then did the coding as shown here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/131338-cruise-control-please-can-someone-check-coding-ive-found-correct.html

To be honest, the VCDS pop up screens tells you what to enter anyway.

Everything went smoothly and the coding was simple and worked a treat. I did get the ESP fault on the DIS, but this went off after driving a few metres. The cruise works perfectly and everything is good. I then ran a full scan using VCDS and it brought up a fault with the steering controller, saying 'Incorrect Coding'. I cleared the codes and went for drive before scanning it again, but the same error showed.

Should I be worried about this fault code, considering that everything seems to be working perfectly?
Is it just that the coding is correct for having cruise control installed, but the controller thinks the coding is incorrect for my chassis number because it wouldn't normally have cruise on it?

(The parts were bought from Huntingdon Audi, who confirmed that my controller will accept cruise).

Hi mate, did you go to steering module "16" then go to coding and change the second last digit to "4"?

Hi mate, did you go to steering module "16" then go to coding and change the second last digit to "4"?

Hi.
Yeah I did. If I remember correctly it changed the code from 000012 to 000042. In the pop up window it said that '4' was for cars with on board computer and cruise control, which is correct for mine.
Everything works fine, which is what's confusing me.