Who's painted their garage?

Mindak

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys just bought my first house and want to get the garage nice inside, looking to paint the walls white and maybe paint the floor!

Who else has done this and got any tips?

Cheers

Floor paint always lifts or wears making it look patchy , use self levelling ?

Don't think il be using it to store my car really just as a workshop/man cave! May pull it in to polish it etc...

If your garage walls are brick / breeze block then the finished effect is good.
It does take a long time though and the paint will just soak in to the walls.

If you've got plasterboard walls, job is a breeze and any slight scuffs / marks are be quickly touched up.

Please, please, please don't be tempted to paint your garage floor.
Despite what it may say on the tin and whatever preparation you may do in advance, the paint will always peel.
Looks great when first done, six / 12 months later looks patchy where it's peeled and you attempt to touch it up.
Oh, the slightest bit of water that you get on the floor will turn it into the slippest ice-rink you've ever been on.

My advice - get lino.
Works a treat and enables you to park your car and keep your garage looking lovely.

Above advice all learned the hard way !!

Reactions: Gazwould
I've got two layers of cheap carpet in mine no underlay, makes it warmer & a nicer place to be.

I bet that stinks after a few months and leave a damp / foisty smell all through the winter.
Plus, it's an extra job hoovering said carpet every month to ensure the garage is clean / tidy as per the OP.

Nope, lino type of solution is the only way.
Avoid paint.

If your painting previously unpainted block walls.thin the paint out.it will take the same amount of coats regardless.no point in wasting money putting pure paint on it.the last coat should be pure tho.i find thick cardboard ideal on the floor.easily replaced and disposed of if wet

keep an eye on freecycle and other similar sites for some carpet, I managed to get some from a friend of a friend for free and now have a cosier man cave!

Cheers for the advice guys, am I right I thinking the first cost can be watered down then apply as normal when dry, think it's brick! (Get the house tomorrow)

Maybe il leave the floor for now as want to be able to move my roll cab about and won't be able to if its sunk into lino

May keep an eye out for carpet and have as a huge mat which can be easily removed if ruined

Reactions: Snibo
First 2 or 3 coats can be watered down.just add less water to each coat.blocks/bricks are like sponges.basically your just trying to build a skin on them.could take 4 coats to do a good job

Reactions: Snibo
You can also mix PVA glue in with the first coat and always use masonry paint if painting directly on brick/breezeblock walls. The PVA will thicken the paint and will fill the pores in the brick to prevent paint from being absorbed too much and stops moisture from coming through.

Right looking to do this today! Heard of 2 techniques to get started! Water down first coat or watered down pva to seal the brick/block... Opinions please? Cheers

Also I underestimated the size of the garage so going to be a big job I think! Lol

Water it down AND add some PVA.i know it sounds as if its a contradiction doing both but it'll work.

If anyone is painting their bathroom ceiling,add pva to the paint aswell.it seals the plaster and stops moisture getting through.my old man is a painter and decorater,learned a few tricks off him.

Ha that was my thinking but thought I'd ask what others had done! Going to pop up screwfix when they open!

If anyone is painting their bathroom ceiling,add pva to the paint aswell.it seals the plaster and stops moisture getting through.my old man is a painter and decorater,learned a few tricks off him.

What does he think of SBR ?

Surely PVA becomes live with moisture hense sealing a wall before tiling etc you use a waterproof PVA , an acrylic sealer or SBR .

On new plaster I always put down a pva water mix first but in the case of a block garage I'd use a decent exterior grade masonry paint like Sandtex. It's not cheap but is breathable, covers well and you won't need to bother with a primer. Just did the inside of my mum's conservatory, painted the original brick white, only took one coat.

Edit: PS I've been eyeing up the Costco flooring for years, it's on my to do list, just need to get mine emptied out first. If your garage is likely to attracts anything like the same amount of crxp that mine does I would take advantage of the blank canvas and get it in now, save loads of hassle later.

Last edited:
Edit: PS I've been eyeing up the Costco flooring for years, it's on my to do list, just need to get mine emptied out first.

Snap, that's why I linked it so easily, it's been on my favourites list for 3 years lol.

Anybody just sealed the concrete to prevent the dust, loads of people saying avoid paint, then I hear about lino rolling up and carpets getting damp and minging... cant win.

Concrete is in pretty good nick so may be worth just sealing it and just get mats etc if ever I need to bring the car in?

Any suggestions?

The Costco garage flooring is in their latest money off catalogue, just over £100 if I recall correctly.