Whoops! New wheels bought.

mike-a

Reaction score
Even though ive just finished refurbing my 17" RS4 reps in anthracite and I really like them I've been watching 18 & 19" wheels on eBay and pondering a purchase.
Put down a low bid today and have ended up with a set of 19" VW Monza reps with tyres for £235! The seller had them on a Transporter so I'm assuming the tyres will be wrong size and one has a side wall bubble any way (didn't even ask the size as that was how much I didn't think I'd win the auction)
Hopefully the "wrong" tyres will fit on the rear for the time being and I'll get a pair of 225/35 for the front.The wheels look really clean too.
Pick them up on Friday hopefully.

My wife is gonna kill me when she realises I've bought more wheels!

Ahh, nothing beats the lies a lady is told to smokescreen the amount of cash dwindled in mods!!!! :)

Get some pics when fitted mate!

Well I had a lovely drive down to Louth across the Humber bridge and back on Friday afternoon to collect the wheels and I'm pretty pleased with them.
Recent refurb in bright silver,no curbing at all.All the tyres have loads of tread left but as I mentioned in my OP one is knackered on the side wall due to being left flat.So,a new pair of correct size tyres needed as they currently have 235/35's on.Had a trial fit today.Loads of clearance on the rear but VERY close to the strut on the front.I'm sure this will be sorted with 215/35 tyres.
The wheels measure up at 8x19 ET45 which is pretty high.Might try some 20mm spacers on the rear and maybe some 10mm's on the front.
Pics to follow.:arco:

We'll see.They fit in the rear at the moment but seem a bit too far in the arches.I'll CNC some spacers next week and see how they fit.
More worried about the fronts at the moment.Will have to get some overtime in and get a pair of tyres first though.

Standard RS4 wheels are et20 and stick out a fair bit on standard width body, cant mind if they are "8 or "8.5 wide thou?

Would think 10mm all round would sit nice, but if you can knock up your own stuff doesnt hurt to try. Get some pics when fitted please, would like to see how they turn out.

Using the calculator here I now have 18mm less clearance towards the strut and 6mm more clearance at the arch.ET25 would give me 2mm more clearance than I have now and move the outside egde out by 14mm.
If I get chance on a lunch break I'll make some spacers.I prefer the type that bolt to the hub and then the wheel bolts to the spacer rather than using long wheel bolts.You are if course limited to how thin the spacer can be by the size of whatever bolt you use to attach spacer to hub with.
Will take some pics with whatever I use in the end.

Last edited:
10.9 grade,shallow head bolts FOC through work.
71a1e4c9.jpg

Will be able to make a 15mm bolt on hubcentric spacer in either steel or 7000 aluminium.
CNC programs written.Just need a bit of free time on the machine to produce them now.
f47562b8.jpg

Dont use alloy for that style of spacer, you need a high grade of steel.

Typically, when you create a thread in metal your thread engagement is 1.5-2 times the diameter of the thread itself. Wheel hubs however are typically only 10mm thick or so (and similarly your spacer is only 15mm thick) meaning you only have ~1x of thread engagement on a 12mm bolt. I wouldnt be trusting 10mm of thread in alloy to hold my wheels on!

Fully aware of thread insertion guides.It all depends upon the thickness of spacer I need as to what style it'll be.Same program for either type.I'd rather make a bolt on spacer as I've got the bolts through work so there is no cost to me.If i only need a 10mm spacer I'll have to use the type that requires longer wheel studs and the cheapest I've seen those for is £35 for twenty.
I'd rather make 20mm bolt on spacers out of steel than 15mm alloy spacers of the other type.
What I'll probably do is make a 20mm pair out of alloy as it's quick to machine and check the fit front and rear and take it from there.