White Smoke when revving and car sounds a abit loud

delc83

Reaction score
Hi guys

Got a 2.0tdi 2005, just recently i've noticed when revving the car white smoke is coming out, this is even on a warm day.
The car is also sounds a bit loud than normal. Also when the engine is warmed up its takes longer than normal to start.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Del

same as mine, does it misfire? mines gone into audi today, il be in touch as and when i get a verdict

Does the white smoke smell of unburnt fuel, if it does then I suspect the timing has changed and it is running retarded. If this is the case then the cambelt has probably jumped a tooth or two. Worth checking out the cam and pump timing marks with reference to #1 TDC.

well audi have been in touch. mines got a bkd engine fitted WTF

so what did they say the problem is ?

they spent an hour and a half on it to tell me that, didnt even do the injector test which i specifically asked for. im gonna lay the law down on there *** in the morning

so what if its a bkd? it should still run just fine. might not feel quite as refind as the blb should (or did) between the mileage of 0 and 1000 before it broke lol.

you need to find out the cylinder injector comparisons. is it using any coolant?

iv had a lovely conversataion with the sexy chick on the front desk and the technician. i kicked ***. they did the injector test in the end cos i sulked, it came up with nothing major, i dont no the comparissons yet as il get the car tomorrow, no faults present on the computer.

murran. my point as well, its a 2.0 tdi, its practically the same engine. this one doesnt have the ****e oil shaft issue but does have the crud head issues. its not using any coolant what so ever. when the technician was told to stop bull ****ting me and talk sense he actually did tbf, he would suspect the tandem pump but having it drive fine under load he wasnt sure, basically im gonna have to start with the cheap stuff then go from there.

im going to adjust the timing if required, compression test, then possibly do the seals on the injectors, and after that it will become a money pit.............

thats good then that its not using any coolant. you can rule out cracked heads and bent conrods then!

but still we need to know the comparison numbers....... some mechanics dont quite understand what they indicate.
for example if they are all within +/- 1.0 of each other (in specification) then thats fine there shouldnt be any problems with the injectors or cylinder compressions. the engine should be running smoothly.
but...... if one is reading + 2.5 and the others -1.0...... then somethings not right with the +2.5 cylinder.
then youd need a compression test........ if that says theyre all the same, then youd need a new injector in that cylinder. run it and recheck.
but, if the +2.5 cylinder is even slightly down on compression say 300psi while the others are 360, then the injectors are most likely fine, youd need the head off to find out why the compression drop.

bear in mind the max the ecu can adjust cylinder fueling to balance one cylinder to another is +2.99 to -2.99.

remember the cylinder comparisons numbers are meerly the ecu trying to balance each cylinder to each other to help it run smoothly.

actual examples from a cars ive fixed at work.....
the bkd ive changed in a 55 plate mk5 golf two weeks ago.... the comparisons were; no.1 +2.99 the others were all -1 to -1.8. compression test showed 270psi on no.1 others were 340-360, fault was..... the head was cracked round no.1 inlet port coolant was leaking in, engine had been hydraulicing on the coolant and had bent the rod (no.1 piston was nearly 2mm lower in the bore than no.4). but a leaking valve effecting the compression would have the same cylinder comparison value effect.......
all injectors from the old engine were fitted in the second hand lump i fitted, and it ran perfect!

but then ive had a slight misfire on an 06 plate golf few months back. comparisons were out (but effected cylinder was not wedged on the max +2.99). compressions were all spot on 360 psi....... i swapped the injectors around and took it for a drive. rechecked the values again and the high comparison value, while slightly different, seemed to have followed to the cylinder i swapped the injector to.
que new injector in that cylinder........ fixed, no slight miss on tickover, comparisons all in spec.

Last edited:
if the diesel isnt black with oil being leaked into it. id ignore the tandem pump as a cause till youve cleaned out the egr/throttle body.

can they check the fuel rail pressure?

iv cleaned the egr, it was coked up and seized solid, now its all clean but im unsure if it operates on the motor, it moved manually once id cleaned it all.

I get the car back tomorrow night so will have all the comparisons when I pick it up. the mechanic said it could be the tandem pump but its unlikely as it drives fine under load, and he said that would be where he'd suspect the tandem pump to give issues. im hoping that the injector test shows me something i can work with!!

as to the fuel rail pressure the technician told me that it cant be measured as the pressure comes from the injector itself??? i was slightly suspect of this somewhat, but im merely an amateur mechanic!?!?!? haha

hey murran, iv got the read outs!!! and also no charge from audi!!! think i told em hahahaha.

readouts are as follows, im assuming 1 is the top going down?

so,

im assuming 4 is the culprit? and is 3 just conpensating or is that suspect too?

hey murran, iv got the read outs!!! and also no charge from audi!!! think i told em hahahaha.

readouts are as follows, im assuming 1 is the top going down?

so,

im assuming 4 is the culprit? and is 3 just conpensating or is that suspect too?

wow 4 is out..... but not in the normal way. being that its a minus figure! that is wierd!

you need the compressions checking. can you get these done?
two possibilities will come. compressions might be sumurt like;
1) 330
2) 320
3) 290
4) 370
bearing in mind the ecu is reading, via the crank speed sensor, how much power is coming from each cylinder and trying to balance it out via adjusting the fuel....
you actually have low compression on no.3 and 1 and 2 arnt that good either..........and no.4 is the best cylinder hence why it has a minus figure
however...... if the compressions are all ok (eg; 360 on all of them) then swap 3 + 4 with each other. if your -2.3 reading then moves to cylinder 3 and your +1.3 moves to 4...... then change the injector thats reading the -2.3. and recheck after a decent test drive.

well iv removed all injectors and sent them of for a check and refurb, should get them early next week. i dont no if i can get a compression tester, you recommend this before re fitting the injectors?

well the compression tester adapter uses the glow plug holes to tap into the cylinder. so the engine would need the injectors in the holes to be able to do a compression test.

spoke to my injector man today. injectors check out fine. having them cleaned and new seals.

still have that dicky reading on number 4 though.

got to the car to check the cogs on the egr and noticed the car has had a head at some point, which would ring true with a bkd????

so could this simply be something as daft as injector set up on the cam???? ecu issue??????

as i said, i think the compression readings might be key. as if the're not as much as they should be...... the ecu will see theres less power coming from those individual cylinders and will attempt to juggle the fuel trims on each cylinder to even out the power on each one.

as your readings are out and your injector man says the injectors are ok..... im presuming its an engine fault.

right, iv had my injectors back from the check and clean up place, they all where fine despite audi showing me number 4 was way out.

but at least i now know its definately not them. iv also swapped the injector loom, cleaned the egr valve and cleaned the maf sensor.

put it all back together, put the injectors in set them up correctly etc, took the car for a 10 mile run and it drove fine except for when stationary/idleing, would puff the odd cloud of white smoke.....

got home turned it off, let it cool for half an hour, went back to it, started the car (took couple of winds) started, ran mint....... 10-15 seconds later missing again......................

will sort a compression tester kit out this week hopefully, the car has had a new head at some point which would ring true with a bkd lump. i can tell its had a new head as its just far too clean, its been on a while but its very clean which it wouldnt if it where the original.

im going to get on a mates lift to check all of the fuel lines see if any have a hole in? dragging air maybe?

if its not this, what can i do next??? how do i check the lift pump? or even the tandem pump?

please throw me some insight into this?

bkd has an an intank lift pump supplying the tandem pump with around 0.3 bar of pressure before its ramped up to silly pressure by the tandem pump. any leaks in the lines from the tank and youd be leaking fuel not dragging in air.

theres a take off on the tandem pump to check the "rail" pressure but youd need a special banjo bolt adapter and a fuel pressure guage capable of up to 16 bar!

have you rechecked the cylinder comparisons? are they similar to before?
get the compression tests done and report.