White smoke and oil in water AUDI A4 1.8 TURBO

mark1977

Reaction score
Hi lads ive got a 1997 audi a4 1.8t sport and ive noticed oil in the water tank and white smoke from the tailpipe when i accelerate. I believe this to be signs of headgasket failure but the car itself runs sweet as a nut with no overheating. The smoke from the tailpipe as no smell so im thinking its not oil from the turbo but water/coolant getting there. Whats your advice on the best thing to do to find the problem. cheers

could be the oil cooler, the oil and coolant run through a heat exchanger common problem, any mayonaisse on the oil filler cap

I woulld have a sniff test done TBH, depends weather you know any good garages who will help you out?

Ive had a car that showed signs of oil in the coolant, but there were no other signs. Had a sniff test done and it came back clear. Maybe worth flushing the coolant if its not been done for a while?

could be the oil cooler, the oil and coolant run through a heat exchanger common problem, any mayonaisse on the oil filler cap

No mate nothing on oil filler cap just black oil its only in the water tank. cheers

I woulld have a sniff test done TBH, depends weather you know any good garages who will help you out?

Ive had a car that showed signs of oil in the coolant, but there were no other signs. Had a sniff test done and it came back clear. Maybe worth flushing the coolant if its not been done for a while?

ive already flushed the system yesterday mate. cheers

Yeah its a doddle to change just remove the coolant header tank 3 screws then uncouple the pipes and remove oil filter then the thin nut and slide the cooler off you should be able to test it by either running water through if any comes out where the filter housing/filter would sit its goosed or even blank the coolant ports of and leave it in water if when you take it out theres water in where you blanked off its goosed !!

you can pick them up cheap and for the price compared to a headset inc labour its a no brainer as its a DIY job that takes 30 minutes and some time flushing out the cooling system.

Thanks for all the info lads, if it is the oil cooler can i just change the O ring (seal) in the oil cooler or do you have to buy a new cooler. cheers