Whining when turning

finesse

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some help, there is whine audible from the cabin when turning at speeds above 20mph but not when stationary.

Any ideas on where to look first? Powersteering fluid, pump, rack??? And where is the location.

p.s the steering is not heavier or lighter.....

Have you ruled out wheel bearing or cv joint?

PS fluid would be my first port of call. Make sure it's the green stuff if you need to top up. DO NOT listen to the Halfords monkeys or similar when they say it's all the same.

It's the resevoir located on drivers sdie by the cam belt cover iirc

Byzan, what colour cap is the ps fluid?

David, does not sound like a cv joint knock it think......

You sorted the problem out finesse? Was it the PS fluid that needed topping up?

Is the marker inside the resievor? Cant see any indicator on the outside? Also where did you get the fluid from?

Is the marker inside the resievor? Cant see any indicator on the outside? Also where did you get the fluid from?

Ye, same sort of marking as you get on your oil dipstick. Any VAG dealer will sell it. I get mine from SEAT because its round the corner from me, about £8 ish.

Keep a close eye on it for a week. When I started getting whining noises I found I had a leak in one of the PAS pipes. It gradually got worse and I would lose all PAS till topped up again.

Cheers nath, well my hard pipes are starting to look very knackered, especially the ones around the drivers inteecooler area, the common one that seems togo quite often i believe, think welly and dave have had to replace it.

Ye thats the one I had to replace. It was leaking for quite a while to be fair then all of a sudden it started ******* out.

The pipe was about £55 to replace and should be ok for anyone to replace. 2 bolts to undo and 2 pipes to slide off.