whining noise from rear

Sham101

Reaction score
ive got this whining noise from the rear whist driving is it my diff its only just started today also ive put 20mm spacers on rear not long ago

could be brakes, could be wheel bearing whine, could be diff, anymore info? does it get worse with speed, is it there when you brake? spacers being fitted shouldnt cause problems unless a componant in the suspension line is faulty/failed, the spacers could in theory cause extra strain on the rest of the drive train,

rear diffs can benifit from fresh oil, my advice would be to empty and refill diff, and see if that solves the noise (cheaper opyion) then if it still persists id be inclined to think along the lines of wheel bearing, normally diff whine is horrendous, you could jack the car up on axle stands all around and rock the back wheels and check for slop/slack,

Sounds like the spacers could be something to do with it, possible wheel balance. Can you feel any vibrations through the seat? Would recommend checking your wheel nut torque immediately just I case the wheel has slightly loosened! Then follow rusty's advice

right replaced the diff oil yesterday and the whining noise is still there it gets louder at speed

i had this problem and was convinced it was the diff. I threw on a different set of wheels with better tyres and the noise disappeared. I couldnt believe it.

ive had these tyres on for about 6 months now with no probs i think i will take the spacers off tommorow and see if that works its really ...sing me off now

Last edited: