1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

''WHINE'' from rear diff on deceleration

sitrials Apr 8, 2007

1. sitrials

sitrials Member

whenever i'm coming up to a junction/roadabout i get a faint ''whine'' from my rear diff does anyone elses do this because i know some diffs make a real racket!
    like this transit from work makes a really annoying noise.

2. sitrials

sitrials Member

please anyone on the motorway last night i was getting a whine could it be a wheel bearing or something simple i've just lowered the car and since last night seems worse, doesn't do it while accelerating just cruising or coming to a stop.

3. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

Car might be whining cos of those dam wheels 'please take them off me please'

Only kiddin bud, just how loud is it? they all whine a bit when pulling up but you shouldn't really be able to notice it unless the radio is off. A bearing is much more of a drone, should be a different kind of sound.

4. sitrials

sitrials Member

its a a constant droney whine just took my fuse out for the diff and still does it which leave me to thiknk its a bearing or i have somehow managed to warp a black diamond rear disk!

5. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

Jack the car up, grab each wheel individually and push/pull it, if there's play there's prob a bearing gone, and its quite bad so i'd get it changed quickish.

IF there's no play it doesnt mean the bearing's fine just means its not as bad - be warned i let 2 bearings get bad and they took the hub carriers with them

6. joe6886

joe6886 Member

Mine whines a bit when slowing down. Never really thought much about it, but I think its from the gearbox. I don't worry about it.

7. sitrials

sitrials Member

just took my mate (mechanic) for a ride he sat in the back and said both my bearings are shot. i jacked the car up but theres no play in them YET, where the best place to get the bearings, audi, euro carparts?? and are they easy to fit i guess its how easy the hub nut comes undone! LOL!

8. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

I usually get my stuff from gsf but u'll need a mechanic to do them really, i get my mate to do all my stuff like that - they need to be pressed in which is the problem.

9. simch

simch Active Member

i bet its your tyres.

put your other wheels on and I reckon it may stop.

10. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

I'll second what simch is saying, particularly because its got louder since you lowered it.

My car makes a droning/whining sound most noticeable on deceleration, but this is only since my new suspension which dropped the rear 10-15mm or so and has noticeably altered the rear camber and makes the tyres run more on the inside edges.

Just to check though, put your old wheels/tyres back on, and see if it's any different.

It seems to be more of a problem on 'V' patterned tyres in my experience. I've got Toyo Proxes T1's on at the moment which are 'V' Patterned, but I had this problem before on my lowered BMW 320d with Avon Z3's. When I changed the tyres to Continentals, the noise stopped.

11. sitrials

sitrials Member

i had a nail in my damn tyre and was running 15psi then 0psi this morning!
    PANIC OVER!!
    get that fixed and hey presto.
    PHEW!

12. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

Thats the thing i hate about lower profile tyres, because the sidewalls are firmer its harder to tell when they're down on pressure unless you're really lookin at them

13. sitrials

sitrials Member

i feel like such a divvy!:jester: