''WHINE'' from rear diff on deceleration

sitrials

Reaction score
Website
www.m-a-d.co.uk
whenever i'm coming up to a junction/roadabout i get a faint ''whine'' from my rear diff does anyone elses do this because i know some diffs make a real racket!
like this transit from work makes a really annoying noise.

please anyone on the motorway last night i was getting a whine could it be a wheel bearing or something simple i've just lowered the car and since last night seems worse, doesn't do it while accelerating just cruising or coming to a stop.

Car might be whining cos of those dam wheels 'please take them off me please'

Only kiddin bud, just how loud is it? they all whine a bit when pulling up but you shouldn't really be able to notice it unless the radio is off. A bearing is much more of a drone, should be a different kind of sound.

its a a constant droney whine just took my fuse out for the diff and still does it which leave me to thiknk its a bearing or i have somehow managed to warp a black diamond rear disk!

Jack the car up, grab each wheel individually and push/pull it, if there's play there's prob a bearing gone, and its quite bad so i'd get it changed quickish.

IF there's no play it doesnt mean the bearing's fine just means its not as bad - be warned i let 2 bearings get bad and they took the hub carriers with them

Mine whines a bit when slowing down. Never really thought much about it, but I think its from the gearbox. I don't worry about it.

just took my mate (mechanic) for a ride he sat in the back and said both my bearings are shot. i jacked the car up but theres no play in them YET, where the best place to get the bearings, audi, euro carparts?? and are they easy to fit i guess its how easy the hub nut comes undone! LOL!

I usually get my stuff from gsf but u'll need a mechanic to do them really, i get my mate to do all my stuff like that - they need to be pressed in which is the problem.

i bet its your tyres.

put your other wheels on and I reckon it may stop.

I'll second what simch is saying, particularly because its got louder since you lowered it.

My car makes a droning/whining sound most noticeable on deceleration, but this is only since my new suspension which dropped the rear 10-15mm or so and has noticeably altered the rear camber and makes the tyres run more on the inside edges.

Just to check though, put your old wheels/tyres back on, and see if it's any different.

It seems to be more of a problem on 'V' patterned tyres in my experience. I've got Toyo Proxes T1's on at the moment which are 'V' Patterned, but I had this problem before on my lowered BMW 320d with Avon Z3's. When I changed the tyres to Continentals, the noise stopped.

Thats the thing i hate about lower profile tyres, because the sidewalls are firmer its harder to tell when they're down on pressure unless you're really lookin at them