1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which would win? remapped 335d or remapped S3? hmmm?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by PTTM, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Jun 15, 2009]

Fair comment Nick and you have a balanced opinion.

I just drive home from the office for lunch in the S3 then back in the 335d and will say again it is so hard to compare such different cars but on the same stretch of road the 335d just has the edge, to be honest both are ridiculously fast for road use, good fun though :)
  2. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

[Jun 15, 2009]
    LOL, its alright for some aint it!
  3. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Jun 15, 2009]
    I do feel lucky to have the use of both my current favourite cars, I actually bought the 335D for me after the last S3 but missed having a manual once I started attending the odd track day so handed it over to the Mrs, now her company opt out allowance covers the majority of the payments so all worked out well in the end, I initially bought a cheaper car that I could 'track' (a used BMW 130i) which subsequently got traded in for the new S3 - the Mrs hasn't twigged that I have got my own way and ended up with 2 'main' cars :)
  4. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Gents we're trying to reduce the use of swear words on ASN. Whilst I know many may swear all the time in their private life (me included) this is a public forum. If you want to use the words please at least use *s in the middle.

S**t is pretty much the bottom level of unaccepted words by the way.

I thank you :hi:
  5. PTTM

PTTM Pedal to the Metal!!!

[Jun 16, 2009]
    Apologies Reekie, it seems i didnt explain myself well enough. I meant from 40mph onwards. I also meant stage 1 remapped as I know it is possible to get my 2.0 TDI upto 330 bhp with enough tuning. Anything is possible with enough cash!
    btw who wants to buy a car that looks like a shoe? The only reason stated these two cars is that they are both powerful (in different ways) and i love the look of them both. Hence the reason why im weighing up which would be quicker?
    I also agree with all the comments on the interior of the beamer. A little bit clinical however it does have a slight touch of style as well.

Chill out ppl - im just looking for ppls honest opinion as I know some of you have some wicked S3s and know a fair bit about cars!
  6. PTTM

PTTM Pedal to the Metal!!!

[Jun 16, 2009]
    Perfect Spin - Much appreciated!
  7. Spin140

Spin140 Active Member

[Jun 16, 2009]
    One other thing that may be worth mentioning for this comparison is the 335 achieves it high power/performance from a simple remap so is not obviously modded which helps with Dealer visits etc, for our S3's to reach 350bhp we are looking at Exhausts, induction kits and uprated fuel pumps so a little more obvious.

I can see how you came to compare the 2 cars as the 335d was a 'progressive' move for me at the time as I was looking at what other similar powered cars could be had in 3 door format with good levels of kit, I actually went out to look for a 335 petrol but was so impressed by the D it got the decision, I only took one out because I was offered a solo test drive and expected to say no thanks, in hindsight I have no regrets bar one - I prefer manual gearbox's.

Why not start another thread asking the same question about a 335 Petrol coupe :)
  8. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 16, 2009]
    Gents I have asked nicely, can you go back and edit your posts to add some *s.

:angrymod:
  9. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Jun 16, 2009]
    I just don't like BMW's interiors and the orange dials - Sorry I thought I'd be as off topic as comparing a hot hatch petrol to a coupe diesel
  10. ferris

ferris Member

[Jun 17, 2009]
    Some intersting comparisons but shouldn't we also look at the cost issue and surely the 335d is a lot more expensive than an S3? So surely thst makes the S3 a better bet all round.
  11. Young un

Young un Member

[Jun 17, 2009]
    IMO - no point cos the 335 petrol coupe is a better performer.
    My cousin sneakily purchased 335i petrol coupe a few weeks after I took delivery of my S3. I'd always liked the 335 coupe but stayed with another Audi. At the time, I even considered trading the S3 for 335 coupe but I didnt want an ear bashing from my Dad for wasting £££'s!! So I stayed with the S3. :blush:
    Anyway I been out plenty of times with my cousin in the 335 and driven it myself on various occasions. We've had a play against each other and he leaves me each and every time. There's simply no comparison!!

The S3 is more predictable in the wet and is a very good all round competent car (taking into account price, quality of finish, performance etc...) but the 335i is still quicker and accelerates relentlessly.

I'd expect a stage 2 remap with exhaust may fare better against the 335i