Which Wireless ADSL modem/router/firewall combo to go for

TDI

Reaction score

Any recommendations on which combination is good for home use, and easy to setup the security settings.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi,

I can tell you which one NOT to get! Recently moved house to an area with no cable, so had to get ADSL. Signed up with Zen (v.v. good ISP, if a little expensive) and bought a Belkin F5D7633 wireless router/modem. OK to set up with a computer directly connected via wires, and for wireless with no security installed (but you don't want that). Thing was a real pain to set up with security, and the MAC address filtering just does not work (well actually it does, but it filters OUT any addresses you put in the table which kind of defeats the purpose). Range is not particularly good throught the house with speed varying between 54 and 2 Mbps, and for a while everytime a laptop went to "sleep" it would drop the connection requiring a router/computer reboot. You find yourself using the reset button an awful lot.

The instrument and I have now reached what could be called an accommodation, in that it more or less works most of the time, although only with 64bit WEP at the moment and no MAC address filtering (can't go to more sophisticated yet as my wife has a W2K laptop, but soon to change that). We have had it working with 3 different laptops and a desktop and all were able to connect OK. Will probably get rid of it if there is not a firmware fix in the near future for the MAC address filtering issue.

I would probably go with a Netgear router - e.g. the DG834G v2 Wireless ADSL Router. Had Netgear stuff in our other house and it worked flawlessly and was very easy to set up. There are some reported issues with this one, but I would probably go with it having had the terrible experience with the Belkin stuff.

This website is great for all things ADSL-related:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

I have bought kit from Broadband Buyer twice now, and their service/delivery is exceptional. They also have forums where people give comments about the kit they've bought. Definitely recommend them.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

M.

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably go with a Netgear router - e.g. the DG834G v2 Wireless ADSL Router.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny I've just placed an order that model.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Take a look at Linksys stuff.. Im really impressed with it! I've got separate DSL Router and Access point, but they stack so is just as tidy. they look cool too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Never had a single problem with either. Wireless has really good range, and ive reset the AP once in 4-5 months! Really good quality, but thats what you would expect from Cisco!

RIch

yeah, any of the big names are good.

linksys = cisco
netgear = nortel networks (bay networks)

either are good, and handle P2P connections well.

My mate had a belkin, and under the sheer number of connections of a 24h P2P connection, it crumbled.

I dont get on with netgear. Had a dsl modem/router/wifi combo and had nothing but problems with it! If i didnt use the wifi for more than 24 hours, it would turn itself off and would have to reset it to use it. a friend is always having problems with his netgear access point too...same issue.

Linksys are good, and pretty cheap too... a good choice.

Rich

I have the Linksys WAG-54G and find it to be ok, although I can't tell if the trouble I have had has been due to the unit or my Mac.

I was on a forum earlier on, and people were moaning about the Linksys stuff. God hope I haven't mind the wrong choice!

cheers

the two netgears I've had have always had the same initial problem - buggy firmware.

always wait till they have released their updated firmware, as this will always fix wireless stability and load issues.

i had hell and all trouble with my previous router (dg824m) till i updated it, but then it stayed up for over 13 months without a reset.. my most recent one (dg834gt) was shipped with the oldest firmware available, and i flashed it from day 1 with the latest. I've not had any problems with it so far.

Most connection problems people experience are caused my their line. Flakey connections can give the appearance that the router has crashed, and poor throughput.

Other problems like wireless stability can be caused by too many people around you having a wireless access point. Wireless communication happens on 5 consecutive channels out of 13 (so if you pick channel 3, channels 3-7 will be used) - this doesnt give much scope for co-existance with many other wireless access points. Some overlap is allowed with other networks, but the speed is degraded. In the event of somebody else using the same channel as you, then is a simple case of whoever's access point shouts loudest wins, the weakest gets drowned out. If you want a stable connection, get the one with the highest output signal - but not too loud, as its even possible to be too loud!! aagh..

yes it is that confusing.. best bet is to buy one, see if it works... if not, swap it for the other one..

D-link are superb always gud quality stuff and superb support if needed, we use a ADSL (modem) well the arnt really modems cause adsl doesnt MODulate and DEModulate IE modem. with a wireless router, works perfect on 24hrs and wep security or wap. Highly reccommened.

http://www.dlink.co.uk/

I use a Draytek Vigor 2900VG which is excellent. It has built in firewall.....wireless, you can also setup VPN tunnels on it and it has 2 phone sockets for VoIP. Costs about £150 quid though but it is good. Work paid for it not me so thats even better!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I just got the 2Wire/BT ADSL wireless hub (1800G) brand new on ebay for £59. If you have BT broaband this is already setup for it so it only took 10mins to get it all working wirelessly.
Very very easy to use.
I tried the Linksys one but it was really flaky, kept dropping the line and I didn't even get round to getting a wireless connection.

I support a large number of external sites, with VPNs etc back to our head office - We used to have a mix of Netgear, Linksys, SonicWall, Cisco, and D-Link across all the remote sites..

We've now standardised across them all - Cisco/Sonicwall at our main office, and Netgear/ Sonicwall at 20+ remote sites..

To date - have not had any failures on the netgear kit whatsoever, so am happy to reccomend it.. Have had multiple failures on both Linsys and D-Link.. Dlink being the worst culprit by far

Cisco also been 100%, but then its usually in a wildly different price league to the netgear kit!

My Linksys was flaky until i got the latest firmware(wag 54g), and since (reaching for a bit of wood) it has been fine.

Isnt Linksys owned by CISCO?? Stupidly thats what drew me to this router when i got it. I am just glad it works now,lol

Although i am assured that their later gear is better??

Marktwo, try updating the firmware, it will improve the router for you, and add a few little features /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've used Linksys for a few years now and installed it for others, I get on well with the UI and find the hardware does what it's supposed to.

Kev.

I'm using Linksys wireless router at home with Telewest Blueyonder, not had any problems, ifact, it's been flawless! At work though, I'm using Linksys ADSL wireless, and it constantly loses connection, that's with AOL, which in itself is crap in the first place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My Linksys was flaky until i got the latest firmware(wag 54g), and since (reaching for a bit of wood) it has been fine.

Isnt Linksys owned by CISCO?? Stupidly thats what drew me to this router when i got it. I am just glad it works now,lol

Although i am assured that their later gear is better??

Marktwo, try updating the firmware, it will improve the router for you, and add a few little features /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. The firmware is very old because I haven't plugged in my pc for years and there's no way to upgrade it from the Mac! Time to dust off the old beige box then...