Which Sub???

mramage

Reaction score

Hi Guys, looking for some sub advice.

I'm going to get one of Andy Macs stealth subs, 8 inch version. Only problem I'm having is which sub to put in it.

Currently I have a Rockford 12 inch sub (which I believe to be a relatively low end one, David R correct me if this is wrong) running off a 2x80RMS amp bridged (i.e. should be about 200RMS).

I realise I'm not going to get the super low bass the 12 can handle, but I'd like to get as close as I can. Andy has been using the 8 inch JL sub with good results. The 8 inch Rockford, however, is advertised as working down to the 4 litre volume of Andys enclosure, whereas the JL isn't. Hence I'm swaying between the two. The JL is apparently the better sub, but the Rockford is apparently suited better to the small enclosure, so it might be better overall.

Essentially what I'm looking for is any advice off folk who've had either brand in a v. limited enclosure. Also, a frank opinion on anyone who's compared the different sounds of smaller and larger subs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Have you considered a Resonant Engineering RE8 (175W RMS DVC)? These subs are amazing www.reaudio.com. Recommended enclosures: SQ 0.217cuft sealed, SQL 0.5cuft ported 33Hz tuning.

I would also consider the Kicker Solobaric range...because of the squareness, the sub needs less volume and so the box is a fraction of the size. The 8" will sound like a 10". I have a 10" in mine, and that sounds as good as a 12"!! Just a thought.

Chris

Not sure if this is helpful or not but i recently was looking for stealthy sub boxes for my s4. I came across a company that creates stealth sub boxes.

I just ordered a nearside and offside box for my 2 12" JL audio subs, £250 total for both boxes

They build them to order. May be you could ask if they can do one for the a3/s3 (they are looking for donor vehicles), they seemed like nice people on the phone. They were also cheaper than going to a prof audio installer to create a similar stealth box.

heres the link:

http://www.stealthboxz.com/subwoofflatpk.htm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've spoken to Andy and decided to hold off until I can look into it further, just to make sure I get the closest sound to my current setup.

Andy has been very understanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Chris, that's interesting about the Kicker subs. Don't want to have Andy doing a custom job or anything. He's already doing folks a big favour on here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Chris/Mark, I already looked into this, and the reason they can do the stealth boxes for the A4/S4 (B5 chassis) is that there is no trim panel in the boot, and both sides have a decent area to form the rear of the enclosures. The A3 has no such scope for this form of sub. The trim panels are in the way on the nearside, and there is no room on the offside behind the panel. Also because of the hatch there is no scope for an "up & under" enclosure either. The only options are replace the existing enclosure, or a custom fibreglass job in the spare wheel well, but even then you'd have to remove the boot liner which is impractical.

Andy, Mark,

It's possible to work around the trim. I removed the sub from Audi and used the space to take up some of the volume behind. The picture is of a custom made sub box made by me in birch plywood which sounds better and weighs much less than MDF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Chris

Hey Chris,

V nice job on that box there and some quality amplification too !

What sort of volume are you getting from that size of box and did you use fibre glass to contour the rear ?

Hey,

The link to the Kicker website is here This tells you the volume of both sealed and vented boxes. I sealed my box.
I can't remember what the volume was, but if I can find the plans I made, I'll let you know. I used several layers of wood and planed it down around the corner (bracing it with brackets inside). I used filler to smooth around the sub.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris
Great job. Did you customise the boot panel (behind the sub) or does the back of your enclosure just butt up to it?
and if so how did you secure it to the car?
Cheers, Andy

just in case anyone's interested...

'L14MDP' and i were in sextons the other day, and heard what i think is the best sub in the world!!!

the JL 8W7 - wow! it goes as low as 2 12W6's, and is beatiful musical.

i want one!