Which Springs

I

imported_migzy

The time has come for a tyre change and while i'm at it i though i'd slap on some 18's and lower it.

Trying to decide whether to go for the H&R 35mm drop or the Eibach 40mm drop.

Anyone had any experience with either.

Cheers

Migzy

H&R are supposed to be comfortable but I can vouch for the eibach springs as I have had them on my mk4 golf, mk4 polo and S3 and they are really good.

My eibachs have only been 30 - 35mm drop though so perhaps you may wanna go for the h&r's are they are not so low.

What model do you have at the moment?

I've got the Eibachs fitted to my s-line but they only lowered it by a very small amount, initially it went down by 5mm but after settling it went down a litte more, maybe 8-10mm (can;t remeber off the top of my head and I'm in Israel so unable to nip out an measure it!)

The ride is very good with the eibachs though not too choppy, turn in is better and the floaty rear end when barreling into a corner on broken tarmac seems to be a lot better.

J.

if you go for eibach,remember they have pro kit and sportline i think,i cant remember which is which but each one has a different spring rate,

i think the sportline is slightly harder as they lower the car slightly more than the prokit,it may be something to bear in mind.

i've got the 3.2 standard not the s-line,i'm also going to be using the standard shocks, just purchasing the springs.
i've had h&r on my old cupra, it was lowered to hell drove like a go cart, but back breaking.

Looking at the following on the amd site

http://www.amdtechnik.com/products.variant.cfm?variantid=4

the h&r lower by 35mm and the eibach by 40mm

looks like it may be pointing to the eibach

mmm decisions, decisions. Going to slap on the kahn rsv's me thinks, was going to do it last year, but bought a flat so i was skint.

so it's a choice of the kahn rsv's 7.5 or 8x18 with the eibach or H&R springs.

It's a shame to can't test drive with 1 set on and then the other

cheers

Migzy

I can only comment on the ride of my S-line with the Eibachs and 18" rs6's. I know others on here think it rides to hard and choppy but I don't have a problem with my car and I travel quite a lot of miles... It's not bone jarring at all, sporty without the need to visit the dentist to have your fillings replaced.
J.

Married can you provide us pictures of your car? Wheels area basically would be ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes and no, yes I can but not at the moment as I'm in Israel at the moment and all my pics are on my personal laptop. But I'm due to fly home for the weekend thursday night so I'll take some pics and post them then.

J.

How does fitting non-standard suspension effect your warrenty?

I take it by fitting these also makes the ride better even with 17's? I'd like 18's but I think the suspension must come 1st!!

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a similar query.

I have a 1.6 A3 and I'm looking at lowering it. The suspension is pretty rubbish at the moment and I was wondering if I should replace the entire suspension or just the springs. Obviously the springs area the cheaper choice but I have heard that replacing just the springs can damage the dampners?

Any views would be appreciated, cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a similar query.

I have a 1.6 A3 and I'm looking at lowering it. The suspension is pretty rubbish at the moment and I was wondering if I should replace the entire suspension or just the springs. Obviously the springs area the cheaper choice but I have heard that replacing just the springs can damage the dampners?

Any views would be appreciated, cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey! another Chester person, I thought you had to live south of London to own an A3!!

The only damage that may occur is if the springs are that short/low that they allow the shock to bottom out internally which will destroy it, I don't think that will be the case with any of the available springs.

When they quote 35mm lower, that will be on a STD car and not on a sport or an S line which are lower to start with

So what spring would suit the Sport suspension? Without going too low but gaining comforrt, handling, etc..??

Cheers Johnmv55 I'll just make sure I stick with a good manufacturer.

Thanks

bear in mind though,if the car is in warranty,and the springs are fitted,and the dreaded knocking appears at some stage,audi will obviously use this as a get out clause

[ QUOTE ]
bushes

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one's, top or bottom? I'm assuming the bottom is an "eye" type of bush, and the top one sandwich's the shell with two rubber bushes?

could always get uprated bushes

migzy

still contemplating and more confused than ever.

H&R or Eibach ?

If you want a modest drop but better handling and a comfy ride go for the Eibachs. If you want a bigger drop but a choppier ride go for the Hand R's

I'm home again now for 2 days so although my car is filthy I'll get a couple of pics for you.

J.

the missus recons the silver as well, but all the boys recon Anthracite,

i'm vearing towards the silver, bloke at AMD recons the anthracite.

decisions, decisions

[ QUOTE ]
Pics from yours married?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yerh come on we want pics!! That'll make me make my decission on whether to splash out on some new springs. How much lower does it make the car from Standard Sport suspension?? Bare in mind I have 17"'s currently, would it still be worth while??

Better late than never... Some pics showing the modest drop with the Eibach pro kit

audi_beach_1.JPG

audi_beach_2.JPG

audi_beach_3.JPG

audi_beach_4.JPG

audi_beach_5.JPG

cheers for the pics dude, does look good.

Now all i;ve got to decide is do i blow £2500 on wheels springs and exhaust.

or do i blow it on a lovely 40inch LCD,

mmm

Migzy

blow it on the wheels,springs and exhaust,and get the lcd on buy now pay later,thats what i did with mine.

mmm decisions, glad i ain't got kids, or i'll be trading in for a nissan micra.

Looks like another credit card applications me thinks.

migzy

Any one of you thinking on selling S-Line wheels (rs6 style)? Send me a PM in positive case.