1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which sidelight bulbs to match factory HID lights?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by lincoln_dj, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lincoln_dj

lincoln_dj Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 7, 2012]
    Hi Guys,

I've got an S4 with factory-fit HIDs and just wondered if anyone could suggest a sidelight bulb that matches in colour to the HIDs, they are currently more yellow compared to the HIDs. Not bothered about light output since I never drive with just sidelights on anyway. Have found 1 other thread although not sure it was regarding factory or aftermarket HIDs...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...found-decent-colour-match-bulb-your-hids.html

That mentions getting LEDs, which obviously need to not give any errors! Do these look any good...?

LED SMD PARKING LIGHTS BULBS AUDI S4 B6 Cabriolet | eBay

501 W5W SMD LED Parking Bulbs Lights AUDI S4 B6 8E | eBay

Any recommendation more than welcome, especially if accompanied by pics!!

Also suggestions for main beam while i'm at it, although light output would be more important than colour for those!!

Cheers, Adam.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. deana4

deana4 New Member

[Aug 7, 2012]
    Be careful buying led side light bulbs. I bought some for mine and all they did was flash as soon as the hid kicked In, I bought some more incase they were dodgy bulbs and the next set were even worse
  4. Stubie

Stubie Member

[Aug 7, 2012]
    One of mine melted the bulb holder then broke off inside the headlight ! Worst mod I've ever done !!
  5. demus

demus Fire in the hole !!

[Aug 8, 2012]
    If your car has bulb failure built into the DIS, make sure the LEDs pull enough current to keep it happy, otherwise it'll keep bleating about them, and the side lights will seem to flash.
    I bought some a while ago, they are about 20mm long and have about 15 LEDs on them, and pull nearly as much current as the standard bulb, keeping the DIS happy, and they look great..

They will flash about 4 or 5 times quickly then stay off when you turn the ignition on, this is normal and is just the DIS checking all the bulbs, with standard filament bulbs you dont notice it, but LED's react so quickly you'll see it. Leave your car parked heading up to your house at night and try it, soon as you turn on ignition they'll flash real quickly.
    Unlike some lesser cars you don't have to use the lights for the car to know one has failed:icon_thumright:
    lincoln_dj likes this.
  6. munchkincoupe

munchkincoupe Member

[Aug 8, 2012]
    PM T8ups on here - he sells led bulbs that are a good match and are durable with no errors
    lincoln_dj likes this.
  7. lincoln_dj

[Aug 8, 2012]
    Cheers for the feedback peeps

demus - which ones did you use?

munchkin - will do, cheers!
  8. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[Aug 8, 2012]
    I used UltraLEDs.co.uk for my sidelight bulbs, but have since discovered T8ups on this forum for my boot lights... no complaints for the service / products* from either.

*about 3 years ago, I had one LED fail from ultraLEDS and when I mailed them, they replied straight back with: "not a problem, no need to send it back, we know we had a bad batch and we're replacing all failures immediately", 2 days later, I had replacements for all 4 that I'd ordered (the rest did fail fairly quickly, but their replacements have lasted nearly 3 years so far)...

Just remember that factory HID headlight units require different sidelights:

Sidelamp bulb for HID-equipped cars - H6W-12V6W
    Sidelamp bulb for halogen-equipped cars - W5W-12V5W

If you still have the factory 4300K bulbs, I'd recommend getting a pure white, sometimes even described as a "warm" white... the ice-white ones have a very slight blueish tinge (probably match 5000K or 6000K better)... mine are 4300K + ice white LED's., it's not enough to bother me, but they're not a perfect match...

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

(yes, photo's taken at the same time, just half-way through the upgrade, left and right).
  9. demus

[Aug 8, 2012]
    Think they were something like these..
    501 Long 19 LED Extreme Power 2W

Its guess work as to which way round to fit them as they are polarity sensitive, if the wrong way round you shouldn't damage them, they just won't light up..
  10. BahnStormer77

[Aug 8, 2012]
    Demus, do you have factory fitted xenons? Reason I ask is that the factory-fit xenons have an offset bayonet fitment for the sidelight, so you can't fit them incorrectly, as per my previous:

Lincoln_DJ, it might be owrth checking that your HID's are 100% factory fit: the bulbs recommended by Demus won't even fit in a car with factory xenons, the link is to wedge-shaped W5W's (pic taken directly from the previous Demus link):

[​IMG]

If you have factory fitted Xenons you need ones that are the shape of the LED below (note this link is the new edition of the ones I had that overheated and rated at 6000K, so even if they don;t overheat any more, they're NOT a great match for factory xenons, but at least the connector is the right shape!):

UH6W1W H6W BAX9 - 9mm BC Offset Pins Single Bulb by Ultra Leds U.K

[​IMG]

Just PM t8ups or start a thread here (Products), tell him that you've got a B6 A4, factory xenons (so you're after H6W's) and want some to match the OEM 4300K bulbs.

I've only had limited experience with him (3 queries, 2 orders), but he seems really decent, knows his products and the postage is pretty prompt and his prices are great: plus it's nice to support somebody on the site.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  11. demus

[Aug 9, 2012]
    Nope, just standard H7 halogens for me, did upgrade them for a Philips bulb as the standard ones were a bit poo, same wattage but much brighter, pretty good now..
  12. BahnStormer77

[Aug 11, 2012]
    Thanks for confirming: just that Lincoln_DJ had asked for advice on bulbs to match his factory HID headlights and you gave him purchasing recommendations based on Halogen bulbs.

So I just wanted to make sure that you knew that they were very different in case anybody ever asked this question again: if he'd bought your recommendation, the only place they would have fitted would have been in the interior bulb sockets, not his sidelights.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  13. demus

[Aug 11, 2012]
    Fair doo's, my appologies, didn't realise they were different to tell the truth.... good job you noticed...
  14. lincoln_dj

[Aug 25, 2012]
    Have just received W5W bulbs from Trups so would like to confirm the above it correct since these dont fit my OEM HID sidelights which are indeed H6W! :laugh: Have asked him for H6W but if not i'll give that site a try mate.
  15. lincoln_dj

[Sep 29, 2012]
    Finally have some bulbs that fit so just posting an update for anyone else who searches for this in the future:

Trups didn't have any offset bayonet type in stock so went for a pair from ebay in the end. Don't know if ebay links are allowed here but you'll want to search for "2x 8 SMD LED 433 434 BAX9S H6W OFFSET PINS CANBUS NO ERROR FREE SIDE LIGHT BULBS" or similar. The ones I bought were from someone called fizzmocouk.

Took a pic to show the difference, unfortunately didn't take one with HIDs on too but they are a close enough match in my eyes. better than standard anyways. Passenger side (on the right in the pic) is the LED bulb.

[​IMG]