Which safety options did you go for?

Zygote

Reaction score
So, quick question people!

There are a lot of security kit you can add to your A3. Lane assist, collision prevention, etc, etc. Just curious as to what kit people have gone for and what you left out?

Personally, I dont do many long stretches of driving, so falling asleep at the wheel isn particularly likely for me, but the collision prevention system could be nice I suppose.. Havent decided yet.

None, nor any parking aids. Blew it all on audio/visual gadgets.
Never been comfortable with the car taking over control.

Reactions: hittchy and dannn007
I was, but she's refused so far - think she's terrified of putting the first scratch on it.....

Reactions: SportbackStu
For me... ACC (with pre-sense front), Lane Assist, Side Assist, TPMS. Does park assist really count as a safety feature?

You'd better get used to it, it's the future!

I know. I read a couple of days ago that the EU wants to put speed limiters on every car so that it's impossible to go over the posted speed limit. Total nightmare.

I know. I read a couple of days ago that the EU wants to put speed limiters on every car so that it's impossible to go over the posted speed limit. Total nightmare.

I'd quite like that as a button or something so that I could copy the current speed limit into the ACC (as read by the traffic signs feature), but not as a permanent thing. That said, it's very difficult to argue against.

I'd quite like that as a button or something so that I could copy the current speed limit into the ACC (as read by the traffic signs feature), but not as a permanent thing. That said, it's very difficult to argue against.

Sometimes a quick burst of speed is needed to get OUT of trouble. Imagine trying that and the car slams the brakes on. Or you're overtaking and the brakes go on and you find yourself stranded on the wrong side of the road. I suspect there would be many unintended consequences.

Reactions: hittchy
I went for Side Assist and ACC. Don't do huge mileage but it's technology I've tried on other vehicles and they work well.

Also went for Front + Rear Parking Sensors + Park Assist + RVC, but only as had them all on my Golf Mk6 and have become a bit too reliant on them! (Not strictly safety features, however).

Parking plus (although only real safety is trying to not scratch the paint).
Tyre pressure monitor, seemed low enough cost and I have had a few puntures. I dont know why it isnt standard.

I a looking forward to trying to wake up (on purpose of course) the standard feature of the "rest recomendation system".

Everything I chose was only chosen because it added to the driving pleasure. Didn't once think about safety! I've got confidence that I won't pull out into a lane without first double checking my blind spot, or fall asleep at the wheel, or somehow not see the car in front of me when in a traffic jam!

The comfort pack added rear sensors & cruise control though, if they count as safety features, which i personally don't think they do!

None, nor any parking aids. Blew it all on audio/visual gadgets.
Never been comfortable with the car taking over control.

hell yer ! :cool:

If I am going to die at least I can get a nice view out of the panoramic sunroof of where I'm heading off to !
(Assuming the car ends up on its roof!:no:)

Never been A big fan of car taking control too much, ok if it's extremely well done (abs, traction control etc.) but if a lot is all going to become standard, which it probably will, then the option to turn off / over ride would be a must for me, especially on early versions of advances where they are still ironing out the bugs.

Last edited:
hell yer ! :cool:

If I am going to die at least I can get a nice view out of the panoramic sunroof of where I'm heading off to !
(Assuming the car ends up on its roof!:no:)

It would have to end up on its roof for me to get a view of where I'm heading off to...

Reactions: Fragup

I was going though the menu options and found one that warns you on the DIS if you exceed a set speed, I accidentally set it to 50mph, and saw the warning on the DIS! ....soon changed the value!

Dont know if you can select voice for this, can you imagine if the "little lady" speaks?....mind you, could well be the wife instead!!! :whistle2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Daveotto and cemerson
None! Spent it all on the most powerful engine, s-tronic and lovely alcantara seats :)

Reactions: hittchy and Fragup
I was going though the menu options and found one that warns you on the DIS if you exceed a set speed, I accidentally set it to 50mph, and saw the warning on the DIS! ....soon changed the value!

Dont know if you can select voice for this, can you imagine if the "little lady" speaks?....mind you, could well be the wife instead!!! :whistle2:

My speed warning indicator only works when someone is sitting in the passenger seat, I am sure it is a fault but not sure it is with the car or the wife.

Reactions: constvoid, cemerson and paullowther
A3 got 5 star safety rating and something like 97% ? rating for adult passengers safety which is extremely high score, pretty good for pedestrians as well, so I was of the opinion to get the best car for me possible budget allowing, as most of the good safety stuff is standard.
S3 Quattro would have been cool !

Eyes, ears and common sense. They were quite cheap too if I remember correctly!

I don't understand the obsession with driver aids. I'd prefer to be in full control if the car - isn't that what driving's all about.

Maybe Volvo drivers are finally moving brand.... :)

Reactions: Daveotto
Total agree, my worry with things like side / lane assist for example, although very clever and possibly better than not having it short term, is you become reliant on it to the point where naturally your are going to become more complacent about that part of driving, it's human nature. Then one day it fails (or you driving a different car without it for a change) and your in serious trouble, these things aren't perfect, park systems make mistakes still but its at 5 mph so you can correct easily.
I made a joke about cars driving you home from the pub on there own, but until the point a car can drive better than a human then there is a potential to make things worse or at least not improve things until much more developed. They are probably about 10 - 20 year away from getting to this point until then the human brain is still the most advanced computer know to man and that not perfect either.
Plus I like driving and want to do it so it myself for the enjoyment. :racer:

Strange there has been no mention of rear side air bags - the most obvious "safety option". Anyone ordered them?

In terms of safety/assistance systems I went for Lane assist, ACC with pre-sense front, auto wipers and lights, High Beam Assist, front and rear parking sensors, both the dimming mirrors, HHA and the speed limit display. I also got many as standard, such as ABS, ESP, various air bags, active bonnet, seat belts, power steering and an automatic choke. Every one of those systems has limitations and must not be relied on absolutely. I know that and the manual makes it very clear as well. Generally the systems are well designed so that you can't become reliant on them. For example - side assist puts the warning light on the relevant wing mirror, so you still need to be looking at your mirrors. Lane assist will switch itself off if you let go of the steering wheel (apparently - I've not tried).

My commute (which is the majority of my millage), is a fair mixture of roads. The stretch on the motorway in moderate traffic is dull - ACC in particular makes it far more pleasant. ACC has really impressed me, but it doesn't see a cascade of brake lights half a mile ahead. In that situation I take over and increase my following distance in anticipation. My commute also take me along a country road. If it's clear I might have a few minutes of spirited driving, but today I was behind a van doing 40-50 mph the whole way so again I used ACC. Another part of my journey is through a town, with many hazards such as bin lorries and school kids, so full manual mode engaged.

I'd definitely spec ACC again, but maybe not lane assist. I'd be really tempted to go for an S tronic with ACC - in a traffic jam that must be wonderful.

Total agree, my worry with things like side / lane assist for example, although very clever and possibly better than not having it short term, is you become reliant on it to the point where naturally your are going to become more complacent about that part of driving, it's human nature. Then one day it fails (or you driving a different car without it for a change) and your in serious trouble

That's the usual argument you hear, but the evidence doesn't stack up. You don't suddenly 'forget' how to drive a car just because of the presence of some assist systems, that's a load of rubbish. Just as you don't 'forget' how to drive just because you used cruise control, or drove an automatic, etc etc. There will be people who will become reliant on these systems and not take proper care otherwise, but these people would only find other ways to be idiots in other cars anyway.

I'd definitely spec ACC again, but maybe not lane assist. I'd be really tempted to go for an S tronic with ACC - in a traffic jam that must be wonderful.

Yeh, s-tronic really could be good with ACC. I'm going to try out lane assist on the motorway today, as that's what it's for really - doesn't really work on bendy single carriageway A roads. I've tried letting go of the steering wheel to try it out (always hovering ready to take control again though!), and it does guide you round gentle corners. It is only an assist system at the end of the day and shouldn't expect too much of it, though speccing it means you can have the variable range headlights and the speed limit display, and also enhances the ACC anyway.

I would defininely spec ACC and s-tronic again. It's absolutely great in stop-start traffic (albeit you have to give a quick dab of the throttle or a quick pull on the CC lever if the car has been stopped for more than a few seconds, to get it to start again). I'm still finding extra features of the system, including its reluctance to overtake on the 'wrong' side, although in queuing traffic on a multi-lane motorway it will do so slowly, and will then accelerate to the selected speed once you've passed the car on the offside.

ACC was absolutely brilliant on the M1 yesterday, worked flawlessly. Didn't have to touch the accelerator or brake for about 50 miles! Just changed gear when it told me to (not often) and changed lanes occasionally. So glad I specced it!

Reactions: EC73LDN