Which oil? A4 2.5TDi quattro

mboy

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry for the noob question (there will be more too no doubt!), but I cant find a definitive answer as to what oil I should put in my 2000X B5 A4 2.5TDi quattro...

I've read different things in different places, everything from 15W50 to 0W30, and all inbetween! Car has done 113k miles with full service history if that makes any difference. I'm planning on changing the oil every 10k or less, not a believer in the whole "long life" service thing... Should I just run it on normal 10W40 semi synthetic, like I have done with my previous 3 1.9TDi's (1Z, AHU and AFN), or does it require a thinner oil like the newer PD engines?

Oh, and how many litres? Haynes manual doesn't cover the V6 models sadly!!!

5w30 or 5w40 fully synthetic oils, you need 5 litres for a full service and its cheaper in dealer's- 5L of 5w30 Longlife oil for 36 quid trade price...

I wouldnt bother using LongLife oil.

Quantum Platinum 5W40 from the dealer will do the job just fine, and is nearly have the price, so you can change it twice as often!

I change my oil every 5k, no way would i be leaving the oil in there for even 10k, and thats on a petrol engine. Dervs are harder and dirtier on their oils, and typically have shorter intervals as a result.

I use the longlife oil and change every 6k or 1 year and my diesel engines are soo clean inside you wont believe-it ! I buy the 5w30 longlife oil as its cheap at 36 quid for 5L, its nothing realy spending 100 quid on service once a year.

Yeh, but why not just use the Quantum Platinum?

Your not needing the longlife-ness, and Platinum is still a high quality fully synthetic oil at half the price of the long life stuff.

Because the longlife oil is the only oil that's stops camshaft wear on v6 tdi engines and pd engines. The platinum oil only slow's it down...also the longlife gives better fuel economy as its easier to pump around the engine from cold.

So what make am I looking for? Is it Castrol Edge per chance?

And is it 5 litres on the dot per oil change, or more?

The stuff we're discussing is Quantum brand, available from your local VW or Audi Dealer.

Platinum is 5w40 and costs about 20quid for 5L
Longlife3 is 5w30 and costs about 40quid for 5L

Personally i believe the cam wear is caused by the oil staying in the engine for far too long and breaking down under the strain. The same wear is evident on RS4 engines, which ran longlife from the factory, but less so on the 2.4 V6 which uses identical cams and oil, the only difference being the RS4 being much harder on the oil as it runs much hotter and makes about 3 times the power output. Platinum changed regularly will IMO be perfectly fine. Ofcourse if the wear has already started, no oil is going to stop it as once the case hardening has been worn/damaged on the lobes its just a matter of time.

Right, I can get any Motaquip oil at trade price.

Will their Oil labelled MQS 5W30, listed as recommended for VW/Audi petrols and diesels on the longlife service schedule, do the same job as the quantum oil you list above? Only it'll cost me close to £20 for 5 litres, not more than £40...

And incidentally, what happens if you do put 10W40 oil in the engine, as that is what every independent motor factor I have spoken to has suggested for the car!