which "k" hid's

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
Hi all, i am having a few problems with my hid's,every now and again one won't come on it alternates from n/s to o/s, i think it may be ballast issues so have decided to buy a new set, my question is this: whick "k" value do the factory fit as i have 4300k at the moment but they don't seem as bright as the factory ones also any links to ones any of you are using would be great,i am looking for a bright white light with no blue tinge and slimline ballast.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

4300k provides the most useable light output, i.e. the most light on the road, and nearly all OEM bulbs are Philips/Osram 4300k bulbs.

I have 5000k's in my cars which provide a nice little compromise between form and function. They look very white with no tinges of yellow like the 4300k bulbs, and still offer excellent light output. Anything higher than 5000k is just tacky and purely for looks.

Had 6000K on my original Fat Ballasts, now using 4300K on the Slimline Ballasts.
Prefer the 4300K for night visibility!

I had issues with one of mine working intermittently and a new ballast cured it. I bought a new set of slimline ballasts which are much neater, and even ebayed off the one good ballast for a few quid!

If the problem happens both sides then I can't see its a ballast issue, unless of course they're both faulty.....

I've had my 6000k nearly three years now, and whilst they're ok at some time I will be upgrading them to 4300 or maybe 5000 if they come recommended. The 6's are a bit too blue for me, and I'd welcome the better output from the 43's.

I had issues with one of mine working intermittently and a new ballast cured it. I bought a new set of slimline ballasts which are much neater, and even ebayed off the one good ballast for a few quid!

If the problem happens both sides then I can't see its a ballast issue, unless of course they're both faulty.....

I've had my 6000k nearly three years now, and whilst they're ok at some time I will be upgrading them to 4300 or maybe 5000 if they come recommended. The 6's are a bit too blue for me, and I'd welcome the better output from the 43's.

Strange really, it only does it now and again and simply turning the lights on and off normally cures the problem, but it will differ from n/s to o/s so proberbly both ballast's on way out,i'll stick with the 4300's but go for some with slimline ballast's

Ive had mine in 3 years (the slimline ballasts maybe a year) and they've been fine.

In the last fortnight or so when I turn the lights on sometimes it makes the low pad warning light come on which has confused me.

Anyone know why this might be?

Ive had mine in 3 years (the slimline ballasts maybe a year) and they've been fine.

In the last fortnight or so when I turn the lights on sometimes it makes the low pad warning light come on which has confused me.

Anyone know why this might be?
Gremlins :)