1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is 12v amp trigger wire (a4 Cab)

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by lewisa4cab, Feb 12, 2009.

1. lewisa4cab

lewisa4cab New Member

Hi all, the radio on my A4 cab has lost reception. It seems I have a common fault (lots of references of web to it) which is a faulty amp trigger wire, probably damaged in joint between car and boot.

Audi want £500 to repair. But I think it might be easily solved by replacing the damaged part of the cable and I need to save money!

My problem is there are a few black leads running into the amp fixed to the boot lid. I am not sure which is the amp trigger - this is the amp I have

[​IMG]

The three inputs are marked (1) Radio ANT beige (2) Radio ZF curry (3) modul reichs schwartz. Which is the 12V amp trigger cable?

Any advice greatly welcomed.
  2. Shez

Shez Sheridan

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my old cabriolet on an 03 plate, got the same answers from Audi with the quote around the £500 mark. Stating they would have to strip out the interior and replace all the wire from the head unit to the boot, because the new lead comes in five new parts of which none are compatible with the old cable. I had an independent look at it and they could not find the problem but told me there was power at the amp, they plugged an external antenna in to the lead and it worked fine, they wanted to fix an external aerial to the car of which I declined. In the end I gave up with it and only listened to CD's whilst I ordered my new cabriolet so Audi got to sort it out in the end.

Good luck,

Shez
  3. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Active Member

There is no separate amp trigger wire - the amp is powered through the antenna cable from the head unit.
  4. 1wheelonly

1wheelonly cabriolet

i have a cab and have had the exact same problem, i can tell you theres a 90% chance theres nothing wrong with the amp.
    the problem is the antenna cable which breaks down in the rubber gaitor from car to boot lid.
    have a quick little test, set radio to a stable/pre tunned station, open boot, have a good wiggle with the black rubber gaiter on the left side and see if you intermitingly get good audio from said station.
    i repaired mine myself by pulling back the rubber gaitor to expose a kink/week spot in the antenna cable and cut it at the kink/break and stripped it back a rejoined the inner then covered (soldered/taped) then did the same with the outer and havent had a prob since.
    since done a friends aswell, all sorted for free.