Which head unit for £200

mephisto

Reaction score
Im looking at replacing the standard head unit in my S3 (W/2000). Well after the volume decided to turn down when i turn it up, now up when i turn it down, i punched it in a childish outburst and bust the volume so it's stuck on now :) oops.

Anyway, i purchased the Pioneer DEH-7000 head unit. But the thing glowed like a fekin Xmas tree, shame though because i had great sound and like the multi line for browsing.

But now im looking at the:

Pioner DEH-700 (£195)
dehp700bt.jpg

or

Apline CDA-105ri (£235)
cda105ri.jpg

Both have USB at rear and support red colour display for matching Audi dash. But the pioneer only has single line display i believe, so im not sure how easy it is to browse folders in on a USB drive, but i like it more for some reason, and i believe you have to pay extra for a BTooth addon for the Apline unit? Anyone got either or recommend or something else?

My requirements are:

USB support
Red illumination possible
Easy to browse tracks
RCA outputs.
Simple lines/ appearance, Subtle looks!

thanks.

Can't go wrong with the Becker Grand Prix if you want understated style and excellent quality. At £254 it's a bit over budget but you'll save a few quid on adapters as the Becker uses identical connections to the Audi HU. Don't feel too bad about wrecking the Audi HU as the volume issue just gets worse and is a known design flaw, so you did yourself a favour.
http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/GP7992_becker-grand-prix-7992-cdmp3wma-tuner.html

Thanks, that BeckerGP doesn't look like it supports USB drives? Mentions Ipod link for an extra £70 (£330 total)

Anyone know if it supports USB drives externally?

Andy: Re my old head unit, lol thanks i feel better now :)))