Which exhaust?

Ryanc

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking at upgrading my exhaust on my s3 for my future gt28rs kit that will be fitted soon,ideally i'm looking for a 3" and of good quality.I've heard of a 2.75" jetex,miltek,scorpion exhausts.Also maybe magnex(i think it's for the 1.8t quatrro a3).The other option is a custom job,but i can't seem to find anyone local who can produce a good quality system.I'm in leicester/midlands,does anyone know of a good fabricator?If not which is better out of the above 4?

I looked into the supersprint exhaust but the add on tailpipes put me off. Here
Instead I opted for the miltek exhaust but as yet, not fitted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What is it about the tailpipes that you do not like?They seem like a good system.

Just reminds me of a cheap Halfords add on. And the bottom pic, well the least said the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I dont see the problem with the pipes to be honest... Its much more cost effective for offering different style pipes than having complete different back boxes isnt it.

Ryan,

You can email me for a price for supersprint... we are a supplier!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
MarkS3 said:
i have never looked, does the om one split in to two like the supersprint one?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

Rich,

If you're a Supersprint supplier, why did you go for a Milltek? Is the quality better?

Because i got the milltek first... and we are a milltek supplier too, and milltek designed my exhaust on my car... lots of things really. One thing to consider tho is the bore size! Not sure i the milltek is the same size bore as the supersprint street or racing system.... I would guess at racing. The only point in the street system, if it ISNT bigger bore than the OE exahaust, is for sound...thats it. If the bore is the same size, there will be no gains to be had!

Rich

I know APR are bringing out a full 3" system, which I have seen on a car on ramps, and its a work of art. Problem is the the S3 (APR Chipped) didn't seem to like it and the power dropped off 10BHP.

Biggest problem with after market S3 exhausts are they are cat back / downpipe back system which offer little of no gains at all??!

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Biggest problem with after market S3 exhausts are they are cat back / downpipe back system which offer little of no gains at all??!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because in the S3, the restriction is NOT the exhaust!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because in the S3, the restriction is NOT the exhaust!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I have heard a turbo car that sounds as choked up as the S3 does. They sound terrible and those down pipes have to to be something to do with it. Not saying that it will instantly give you 20 bhp or anything, but the OEM kit is certainly not helping.

Oh, by the way Rich, the bushes I got from you, the dog bone mount, how/where do they fit and what tools will I need. Thought there might have been a wee diagram or summit!

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
I don't think I have heard a turbo car that sounds as choked up as the S3 does. They sound terrible and those down pipes have to to be something to do with it. Not saying that it will instantly give you 20 bhp or anything, but the OEM kit is certainly not helping.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chunky exhaust may reduce lag a bit, but it probably wont increase power... The turbo is just not upto shifting that much air... Its just the way it is!

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, by the way Rich, the bushes I got from you, the dog bone mount, how/where do they fit and what tools will I need. Thought there might have been a wee diagram or summit!

[/ QUOTE ]

Click on the how to guide at the top right

[ QUOTE ]
Can said:
I got the supersprint kit in my s3 but I didnt like the sound. it sounded like a modified 106gti, too much I think. but most like it. so I replaced again with the original one except the cat replace. By the way is this cat that supersprint offers direct flow or it has something in it? I feel no difference by the way

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on if its a sports cat. If it was, then it would have cost a fair bit of cash... If it was only about £200, then it would be straight through (no cat)

Rich

Just gotta say how pleased I am with my new exhaust from Powerflow.
Cat-back,centre and rear box, custom- built in stainless steel, (nice-welds too !) Sounds great with nice twin pipes and excellent value at £280 all-in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif it !!!

Sorry buddy can't help you with that one. Their website is full of info and some very tasty pics though !!! Good hunting ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi, Don't post a lot on here, observer and stranger. Always interesting here though. I have read a lot on here about the benefits or not of exhausts. I fitted the Milltek cat-back to my S3 and got quite good results (haven't measured them though). You say the standard exhaust isn't restrictive, but have you seen the way it closes down at the rear diff. Noticed a significant gain. Quite a nice note too which contradicts the comments I've read about it. Many say the Milltek is usually quieter than standard.
Also fitted a 3" downpipe and a single 100 cell cat recently (fabricated by a local firm) but didn't notice a big gain. Defintely something, but not significant. No check lights yet but a friend who's done the same to his lcr had a fault code once when the cat was new. Definitely a tight fit past the prop though.

Hope my experience helps.

Regards, Chris.

Do you go to the seat meets in Cardiff? I don't think I have seen you there?

No mate, don't know when they are. You probably know Matthew with the yellow lcr though. We'll have to meet up, have a chat.

Chris.

does the apr one really do this much harm to power?

i was considering catback for my 2.7t