1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which engine flush? (If any!)

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by S4_dan, Dec 12, 2013.

1. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

[Dec 12, 2013]
    Guys, I'm having my Audi serviced next week. I'm doing the majority but a local garage is doing the oil & oil filter for me. (It's too wet outside for me to climb under the car and I'm being lazy!)

I normally use Forte engine flush but just wondered what other products are good?

Also, as I've normally done the oil myself along with the flush, would it be safe to add the flush treatment and then drive 9 miles to the garage? Or best to add the flush at the garage before the oil gets done? Just never driven a car with oil flush treatment in before.

Cheers,

Dan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

[Dec 12, 2013]
    oh, and is it 5 litres of oil for the 2.5 v6 lump? 5W30 or 0W40?

Cheers,

Dan
  4. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

[Dec 12, 2013]
    I have never used engine flush, do audi recommend it? i certainly wouldn't drive 9 miles with it in either
  5. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 13, 2013]
    May I recommend keeping clear of engine flush.
    I have used it in the past in a few cars, Fiesta Zetec-S, Ibiza Cupra R (1.8T VAG engine) with no ill or side/effects.

I have contemplated using it in my 2.5TDi however, with the age of the engine, the amount of gaskets/seals used I have personally decided to keep clear.

You will hear people recommend engine flush and hear people who don't - I would have said the far safer option is not to use it.
    I have heard stories of engine flush stripping sludge/hard oil particles from parts of the engine - only to block the oil strainer and starving the engine of oil.

If you do decide to use it - dont drive 9 miles on it. The flush thins out the oil so you will not be getting good protection under load.
    It is ok to idle the engine for 5 or so minutes as the engine is under little load when ticking over.

Personally, I use a good quality fully synthetic oil - most come with additives that will lightly clense your engine over time if lesser quality oil has been used previously (part synthetic.etc)
    I have had my car for around a year and a half and change oil every 6 to 7,000 miles with Shell Helix 5-40 synthetic - over this period I have actually noticed that the cylinder heads are actually getting cleaner inside (I have had the heads open a few times).

Previously when I have carried out oil changes on the engine, the fresh oil would be black within a few miles - now it stays golden brown for a good couple of hundred miles.

As far as oil grade, Audi recommend 5-30w but a few of us with the 2.5's tend to use 5-40w due to the oil film being slightly thicker at higher temperatures - benificial if you drive the car hard frequently.