1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Diesel ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Kitsch, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Kitsch

Kitsch Seat - Skoda - Audi

[Aug 24, 2007]
    Hi I pick up my new A3 a week Tuesday & was wondering if there is a diesel supplier preference, I know with my VRS I found the Shell unleaded the best, Is diesel the same different company different performance ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Aug 24, 2007]
    :thumbsup:
  4. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Aug 24, 2007]
    no difference! doesn't matter with diesel its a crude unrefined fuel anyway! i go for the cheapest in the area from petrolprices.com - you could put chip fat in it and it would run pretty much the same (although would probably damage something!)
  5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 24, 2007]
    I tend to use Shell Diesel most of the time, mainly because it's the what they sell at the two nearest garages - current 94.9p and exactly the same as unleaded which makes a change.

I went on holiday to Austria in June, across France and Germany and filled up with a variety of makes of diesel and didn't notice any difference in performance or running with any of them. The price was much better though!
  6. alanjonesbath

alanjonesbath VAGOwners.co.uk

[Aug 24, 2007]
    Never noticed a difference in performance or economy from using different brand diesel. It all comes from the same refineries anyway, no matter what forecourt you buy it from. I'm sure stuff like BP Ultimate would be better, but then regular BP diesel is exactly the same as what you'll fill up with at Sainsburys anyway (BP still supply Sainsburys I believe). I just use whatever is cheapest, normally Asda. I made a point of using Shell diesel for a few months with my last car, didn't make a difference to the fuel economy at all.
  7. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Aug 24, 2007]
  8. swhurst

swhurst New Member

[Aug 25, 2007]
    Ive got a 1.9tdi mkv golf at the moment and always fill up with shell diesel, if I use sainsburys diesel I get a noticeable drop in mpg. When my new A3 arrives I'll be using shell.
  9. alanjonesbath

[Aug 25, 2007]
    You will with BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax diesels, but probably wouldn't with the standard BP and Shell diesels. The Ultimate/Optimax diesels have different additives etc. to give them extra 'power'.
    As I said above, the fuel you get at Sainsburys is the same stuff you'll get at BP, so there won't be a difference other than the placebo effect.

I used to live in Pembroke, near the Texaco oil refinery there. It isn't just Texaco tankers that get their fuel there ;) I've seen just about every company there is, Texaco, BP, Shell, even Tesco and Safeway tankers filling up there. A friend of ours used to run a Shell station there, and we were there one day when a fuel delivery arrived, and while chatting with the guy we asked him where he had come from. He said 'We just get it from the closest refinery, I've just come from Texaco'. :yes:
  10. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Aug 25, 2007]
  11. alanjonesbath

[Aug 25, 2007]
    Ah, we're still on 'normal' Shell diesel round here (or at least they were last time I went to a Shell garage).
  12. JED

JED Member

[Aug 25, 2007]
    Anyone got any info / experience of the new Shell V-Power Diesel? It's 98.9 near me, but not sure whether to stick with Shell Extra? I have just got upto 52mpg average in my 170TDi A4 running with Shell Extra.