1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which diagnostic software for 8P TDI-sport?

Red Head Mar 29, 2008

1. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

Hi,

I have Vag Com installed on my laptop, but this only offers 8L chassis when my car is an 8P, can anybody tell me if it's Vag Can that I require and would I be able to attain a copy?!

My traction control light has remained turned on since I changed the battery last night and I want to see if any sensors are at fault.

Many Thanks

Jen

2. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

The software VAG-COM is the same, and the same HEX-CAN cable should work. Perhaps you need to go online to www.Ross-Tech.com and get a copy of the latest version of the software. It's free if you've got a genuine cable.

3. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

It's not a genuine cable although it DOES bring up faults, but the software I got with it is in German :(

4. h5djr

In that case you may well need to purchase a new genuine cable for VAG-COM. I've just purchase a Micro-CAN cable direct from Ross-Tech in the States. Even with the duty etc it's still cheaper than purchasing from a UK dealer.

I paid £129.00 for the cable + £42.45 shipping (2-3 days by FedEx Express). I then had to pay £19.00 VAT + £6.80 admin fee to FedEx)

You can download the software free from the Ross-Tech website and the cable acts as a 'dongle' ie the software will only work when the cable is attached to the laptop.

5. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

So it works out approximately £200 all in for the cable and then free software on top of that...

A lot of money, but suppose its worth it if you get the full version of the software and it works on a range of VAG cars, and hopefully the 8P!

6. h5djr

The Micro-CAN cable works with the 8P and any other VAG models based on the Golf 5 chassis. If you want a cable to work with other VAG cars including other Audis then you will need the HEX-USB-CAN cable which cost a extra $100.

7. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

Yea I saw the Micro-CAN cable but for the extra $100, I would go for the HEX-USB-CAN, would be very useful and hopefully worth the money, will get one ordered up

Thanks

Jen

8. h5djr

Ross-Tech are generally very efficient. I ordered mine on Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday.

If I can help at all when you get the cable and the latest software, let me know.

9. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

Ordered the HEX+USB CAN lead there now, fingers crossed it arrives soon.

Thanks

10. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

Glad the software is in English this time. Ran a few successful scans but they brought up the same codes as with the German software.

Need to experiment with some other functions.

11. h5djr

Glad to hear you got the cable quickly.

If you do need any further help it's worth posting in the ASN VAG-COM forum because the guys from Ross-Tech do keep an eye on that forum and will often be able to offer some help.

12. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

Every day is a school day, must keep an eye on that forum! (if I have time...)