1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which diagnostic software for 8P TDI-sport?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Red Head, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

[Mar 29, 2008]
    Hi,

I have Vag Com installed on my laptop, but this only offers 8L chassis when my car is an 8P, can anybody tell me if it's Vag Can that I require and would I be able to attain a copy?!

My traction control light has remained turned on since I changed the battery last night and I want to see if any sensors are at fault.

Many Thanks

Jen
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 21, 2014]

3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 29, 2008]
    The software VAG-COM is the same, and the same HEX-CAN cable should work. Perhaps you need to go online to www.Ross-Tech.com and get a copy of the latest version of the software. It's free if you've got a genuine cable.
  4. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

[Mar 29, 2008]
    It's not a genuine cable although it DOES bring up faults, but the software I got with it is in German :(
  5. h5djr

[Mar 30, 2008]
    In that case you may well need to purchase a new genuine cable for VAG-COM. I've just purchase a Micro-CAN cable direct from Ross-Tech in the States. Even with the duty etc it's still cheaper than purchasing from a UK dealer.

I paid £129.00 for the cable + £42.45 shipping (2-3 days by FedEx Express). I then had to pay £19.00 VAT + £6.80 admin fee to FedEx)

You can download the software free from the Ross-Tech website and the cable acts as a 'dongle' ie the software will only work when the cable is attached to the laptop.
  6. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

[Mar 30, 2008]
    So it works out approximately £200 all in for the cable and then free software on top of that...

A lot of money, but suppose its worth it if you get the full version of the software and it works on a range of VAG cars, and hopefully the 8P!
  7. h5djr

[Mar 30, 2008]
    The Micro-CAN cable works with the 8P and any other VAG models based on the Golf 5 chassis. If you want a cable to work with other VAG cars including other Audis then you will need the HEX-USB-CAN cable which cost a extra $100.
  8. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

[Mar 30, 2008]
    Yea I saw the Micro-CAN cable but for the extra $100, I would go for the HEX-USB-CAN, would be very useful and hopefully worth the money, will get one ordered up

Thanks

Jen
  9. h5djr

[Mar 30, 2008]
    Ross-Tech are generally very efficient. I ordered mine on Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday.

If I can help at all when you get the cable and the latest software, let me know.
  10. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

[Mar 31, 2008]
    Ordered the HEX+USB CAN lead there now, fingers crossed it arrives soon.

Thanks
  11. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

[Apr 2, 2008]
    Glad the software is in English this time. Ran a few successful scans but they brought up the same codes as with the German software.

Need to experiment with some other functions.
  12. h5djr

[Apr 2, 2008]
    Glad to hear you got the cable quickly.

If you do need any further help it's worth posting in the ASN VAG-COM forum because the guys from Ross-Tech do keep an eye on that forum and will often be able to offer some help.
  13. Red Head

Red Head Flat Out

[Apr 3, 2008]
    Every day is a school day, must keep an eye on that forum! (if I have time...)