Which decat -downpipe to go for ?

s3evil34

Reaction score
Hi there im new to this site . Have been in to my jap cars for the last ten years so changed a fair few cats for decats with good results . Just bought my first audi very exited its a S3 8L with the bam engine. So had a search just trying to find out which make of decat and downpipe to go for and where . lots on ebay just dont want to buy one that will crack in a month . Also will they turn the engine light on when fitted due to the lamber ?Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Thanks they look good quality . Was going to fit decat and s2000 filter then have a map . so when you say fit a spacer as in one that will lift the lamba higher so it does not detect the richness ?

Thanks they look good quality . Was going to fit decat and s2000 filter then have a map . so when you say fit a spacer as in one that will lift the lamba higher so it does not detect the richness ?

The spacer just moves the o2 sensor out of the exhaust gas flow to attempt to fool the ECU into thinking the o2 levels are ‘normal’ They don’t always work and prevent the EML from coming on though, especially if you’re having some fun. Some people leave the port bunged and keep the sensor electricity connected and hide it out of the way. If you’re having the car mapped soon it will likely be coded out anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you are going to replace the downpipe with a 3inch DP and decat - then you should really get a B5 oversized Silicon TIP and fit an FMIC too - the TIP and filter is the cheapest / easiest upgrade. also if you are willing to pay £400 for a pipewerks DP then you may as well invest in a better than S2000 paper filter - eg the B5 TIP+HeatShield+Jetex Filter (although the kits TIP is the posh 2.2 version with billet its slightly more difficult to fit than the V3) although I have a middle cosworth S2000 filter I am still unsure if they manage much more than 200g/s

I just purchased a pipewerx 3"dp and sports cat and can say they do look good quality. Won't be fitted untill 21st so will know better then. I agree if ur doing the exhaust get the fmic and the oversize tip and cone filter before you do your remap.

Ok good advice thank you . Yeah front mount could be a plan . How big is the standard intercooler because i read that it could handle up to 350 bhp ?I would like to fit one just dont want to lose the fog lights .also filter wise i would rather keep the standard air box and fit a panel filter if the s2000 one is not great. would that be as good as a cone filter on these ?

Ok good advice thank you . Yeah front mount could be a plan . How big is the standard intercooler because i read that it could handle up to 350 bhp ?I would like to fit one just dont want to lose the fog lights .also filter wise i would rather keep the standard air box and fit a panel filter if the s2000 one is not great. would that be as good as a cone filter on these ?

8L S3 has two side mount intercoolers... They can barely handle standard power... there is a thread in the FAQs with info on FMIC's for the S3...

AH Fabs V2, Airtech and a modified Welly cooler being the most popular...

Panel filters are ok but I would just get the JR filter when you get the 80mm TIP

<tuffty/>

I wish I got an airtec - I am still dubious over giving the car a prolonged blast - used the car today for work and worried about hitting the loud pedal in case - I am laying under the car again. I wont to remove the tools from the footwell :)

I wish I got an airtec - I am still dubious over giving the car a prolonged blast - used the car today for work and worried about hitting the loud pedal in case - I am laying under the car again. I wont to remove the tools from the footwell :)
Looks like fmic is a must then suppose the front bumper will have to come off. Mapping wise bit of a mind field. I'm down south in Devon but thinking of going celtic in Cornwall! Any recommendations? Will travel.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

There might be an Airtec cooler with pipework going in the For Sale section in the next week or two

775abc08269570bd845c4dcb3d51be5f.jpg

Badger5 is just up the M5 near Gloucester for custom mapping

Where are your Airtec pipes - will your ones allow the fog lights to stay?

4426.jpg

oh I saw they were a similar shape - did you get a choice - as lots of people prefer hard pipes instead of silicon?
I wanted to buy the single pipes to fit to my welly cooler after wasting so much money on the wrong pipes, connectors and clamps - but no-one sells just the silicon pipes. buy badly buy loads of junk <-- typical of my life story.

also did your bumper return to its original position as the welly cooler is too wide where I put it for the bumper to return.

I did get a choice when I bought mine back end of 2014, I think they were phasing out the hard pipes like mine to go with the current one piece design. I’ve fitted both types but I prefer the hard pipe design over the single piece pipes. Bumper fits good as long as you cut the right amount of plastic from the lower part of the bumper (behind the bottom of the grills) all is good

oh I see I only trimmed around the fog lights I should have ground off a tiny bit more from near the lower grill. I did also trim some from the fog lights grills making them a little thinner in a couple of places. I like the way bill fitted the welly cooler upside down

oh I see I only trimmed around the fog lights I should have ground off a tiny bit more from near the lower grill. I did also trim some from the fog lights grills making them a little thinner in a couple of places. I like the way bill fitted the welly cooler upside down

Sorry Stuart I just meant around the fog light grills/surrounds not the middle grill. It’s funny you mention Bills upside down welly cooler, that’s what I’m planning on doing this weekend (weather dependent lol) if I can muster up the courage to chop it up and weld it together

Sorry @s3evil34 didn’t mean to hijack your thread mate

I suspect the airtec needs to be mounted lower down in the bumper to get the correct clearance...

When I designed the AH Fabs v2 I had to sit it below the lower grille so the pipe work fitted in the area at the bottom of the bumper...

20110311_IMAG0612.jpg

A small amount of trimming was still required as its tight and it does push the bottom of the bumper out a very small amount but net result is fog lights in place and a stealth install

<tuffty/>

yeah I was wondering about that, I put mine inline with the radiator which shows the top of the hoses in the fog grills. the reason I like the airtec with the single hoses is that there is only 2 joins - I'm sure mine is secure now with beaded pipes - but I have spent hours laying under the car with my hands through the grills trying to reconnect hoses as the car doesn't run at all without the entire circuit joined.

apologies also for the thread hijack its still contextually related though. ref upside down welly cooler the bulk of the cooler is behind the solid bumper

Sorry Stuart I just meant around the fog light grills/surrounds not the middle grill. It’s funny you mention Bills upside down welly cooler, that’s what I’m planning on doing this weekend (weather dependent lol) if I can muster up the courage to chop it up and weld it together

Sorry @s3evil34 didn’t mean to hijack your thread mate

No problem mate this is all good stuff and just what I need to no!

There might be an Airtec cooler with pipework going in the For Sale section in the next week or two

775abc08269570bd845c4dcb3d51be5f.jpg

Badger5 is just up the M5 near Gloucester for custom mapping

Is this yours your thinking of selling? Pm me details if your going to sell. As would be interested. Did not realise badger 5 is that close will look them up thanks