Which car to choose?

Gemma1

Reaction score
Hi, I've only just joined so am new to this but would appreciate any help given! I am about to buy my first A3, today I saw a new 5dr sportback 1.6 tdi s line but I'm wondering should I opt for the 1.9 or 2.0 diesel instead? I intend towing a small trailer for when we go camping and so wondered what would be more suitable?

Thanks

Hi Gemma,

Look around, there was a thread recently that went through some people's experiences with the 1.6TDi. If I remember correctly they weren't getting MPG anything like what is advertised and in fact was being shown up by the 2.0TDi 140 eingine. If you're going to be towing I would go with the 19. or 2.0 to be honest or I think that you'll struggle! :)

Hope this helps a bit!

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Hi Dan

Thanks for the advice, think I need to get my head down and start going through all the info!! I could be some time!! Good luck with your new car.

I put a deposit on the 1.6 and am wondering if I've done the right thing! It's too confusing, I was swayed by the show room lights I think haha but I'll let you know how I get on!

Hi , if your going to tow i,d go for the 2 tdi .......... Happy shopping ...........

I suppose a lot depends on what you constitute as a small trailer - if its the sort of 1.2m x 1.2m genral purpose type that people use to take rubbish to the dump and additional cargo capacity for stuff for holidays, then its not going to weigh an awful lot. The 1.6 is no sports car - you should consider it if you like to tootle along with the flow, but if you like to make progress on a roads with lots of overtakes then look to the 2.0 for certain.

The 1.6 is a nice smooth engine - a lot of people (me included) are initially disappointed by the performance because it doesn't have the big turbo kick of the older 1.9TDIs;but the power is there, its just a lot more linear, and the engine does seem to take a long time to bed in and loosen up - i'm at 4k miles now and it is much freer revving and powerful now than 2k miles ago and i'm sure its got a way to go yet. . Economy is nowhere near what VAG claim - owners of the 2.0TDI 140s are getting the same as the 1.6 105 owners in the main. I've got 4k miles on mine now (Mk6 Golf) and its averaging around 50mpg with a mix of driving - a steady 75mph on cruise = 48mpg.

Last edited:
If you have already chosen,then its to late lol.
In your position i would defo go for the 1.9 or 2.0tdi as you are not having to work these
engines as hard.
I also think that the bigger engine tdi's will sell on easier in the future and be worth more money as more desireable.
Either way your still going to have a nice a3 :icon_thumright:

Reading the 1.6TDI thread, i would opt for a 2.0TDI

Even in my PD170 with a DSG box, i still see between 40 and 50mpg on the motorway, yet i still have plenty of grunt under the bonnet to get places :hubbahubba:

The 1.6 is a nice smooth engine - a lot of people (me included) are initially disappointed by the performance because it doesn't have the big turbo kick of the older 1.9TDIs;but the power is there, its just a lot more linear, and the engine does seem to take a long time to bed in and loosen up - i'm at 4k miles now and it is much freer revving and powerful now than 2k miles ago and i'm sure its got a way to go yet. . .

I can certainly vouch for that. I too felt a bit let down when I first drove the car with 100 miles on the clock just before Christmas. Its now done just over 10,000 and feels like a different car! Much much better. Plenty of torque and I do a lot of motor way miles and it doesn't feel underpowered.

Incidentally it is also S-Line spec with lots of options! Its a great car, although I also would agree that the MPG is not what I thought. I have a fuel card for business and private use so consumption is not a big issue for me.