1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which bulbs?

albgut1 Mar 23, 2006

1. albgut1

albgut1 Member

I need to replace my headlight bulbs with better ones (but still on a budget) coz the left one has no dipped beam anymore. My car is a standard 1.8SE '96 P reg Avant so I guess it takes H4 bulbs.

2. JayB5UK

JayB5UK Member

Dunno which H type - check your manual, but my facelift dip ones are H7. Anyway, the best around, after many tests are Osram SilverStar bulbs. Will cost about £17 best price from a guy on ebay cause I think in motor factors these are over £25.
    But like brakes, you can never have too much in terms of lights! I know to my cost after hitting a fallen tree after only seeing at the last second 5 years ago, totalling my car!

3. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 quattro Black Edition s tronic

I agree with JayB5UK. Osram Silver Stars are excellent, and pretty good value too. I got mine here: Click For Ebay Seller

Very good service. You won't go wrong.

4. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

Early B5 A4's (pre facelift) use H4 bulbs.

5. Phantom_A4

Phantom_A4 Member

Yea i'm sure they use H4 fitments, osram silver stars are good bulbs. PIAA bulbs deserve a mention, some more expensive than other, but well worth the investment!

6. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea i'm sure they use H4 fitments, osram silver stars are good bulbs. PIAA bulbs deserve a mention, some more expensive than other, but well worth the investment!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree PIAA's are awesome bulbs, the best ive ever used by a long way but they are more expensive than most.

7. albgut1

albgut1 Member

Thanks guys, I will have a look at both the Osrams and PIAA's.

8. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

The cheapest place for PIAA bulbs is the Far East (they are made in Japan after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif ).
    Bought in the UK you'll pay about £75 a pair, depending which bulb colour you go for, for more info look at www.piaa.co.uk
    Twice now the cheapest option for me was to buy 'em via Ebay; purchased from a seller in Hong Kong for about £55 per pair delivered with no probs or import duty etc.
    I'm a convinced PIAA bulb fan now (having them in both the headlamps and foglights of my A4), but the Osram/Philips Silverstar-type bulbs have also many fans, and are much cheaper it has to be said.......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

I have not tried the piaa ones yet, but i have tried the silverstars, and they are the best i have tried so far. They can be had on Ebay from £11 a pair. I need to be buying some H1's myself as my H7's dont work in my new headlights