Wheres the enjoyment gone?

holly35

Reaction score
As i look over some of the posts on this forum,im struck by the determination of some members to activley seek out absolutley any minor gripe ,no matter how small.It seems some spend more time looking for problems or issuse rather than enjoying their cars.
Forms are fine as a light browse through but being constantly drawn to some problem or minor issue or some recall that may or not happen in another country or some minor "flaw" that needs immediate discussion ,Its detracting from general ownership.
Gentlemen,come on,youll find that youve spent more time trying to find "Faults"that it will be time to trade your car back without enjoying a fantastic car.
Sometimes being oblivious and ignorant to others problems makes for a much more relaxed and enjoyable ownership experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.A.G, BeagleKCH, Sandra and 6 others
Time to get the bucket n give her outdoors a wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I'm complaining about is the fact that I don't have her yet and can't drive her. :(

I would recommend you take care not to get too involved in moans and gripes,some if not most "issues"probably will never affect your car and maybe purely personal to each owner,In fact it may be an idea to stay off mostof these threads,why worry about things that havent happend ?
Dont get bogged down and enjoy your new Audi.Im delighted with my car and as most others are,you will probably be the same......:redface new:

I don't pay too much attention to the gripes anyway. It was the same when I purchased my 2015 Mustang GT Convertible. I always enjoy my cars. Hehe the car is not in my hands yet but I have already booked an Advanced Driving School at a local race track for the end of April. I will need to break in the car quickly prior to that. :)

Reactions: duckduck
Members on any forum tend to be either enthusiasts who are always servicing/tuning/modifying their cars or people who join as a cry for help, with a problem. The types who just use their car as a "workhorse" and never suffer any particular problems, don't tend to go anywhere near a car forum - I have many friends and family in this category :smile new:

I think it's the very nature of forums that those who aren't happy need to vent their frustrations at what they perceive to be a bad car. Now, we all know that what most of us would perceive to be a minor problem and would get fixed can in some circumstances bring the whole car down to where it's a bad car, not a good car with relatively minor problems.

There are a minority who have had bad problems and sometimes that is compounded by bad dealers. That is very unfortunate and I'm sure we all sympathise whether they stick with the car or get rid of it. Whatever is good for them .

But we must strike a balance that despite the problems of some the majority are happy. Forums tend to be a place for moans and that's fine. Rant away in your own thread and you never know it might be a fix we know about or can give support.

Its what forums traditionally are for, those who are happy with their car don't tend to post which is why there is a 'apparent' bias..

Reactions: Dmrqwq, vinvinian and duckduck
No complaints here! Just spent the majority of a 90 mile m-way drive not having to drive the car at all! love the driver assist and a bottle of water!

No complaints here! Just spent the majority of a 90 mile m-way drive not having to drive the car at all! love the driver assist and a bottle of water!

Happy owner here too. I had to drive 84 miles home last night, with about 60 of those miles on a fairly quiet M25. Absolute bliss, the car eating up the miles while I listened to the radio, cruising at 80 mph and 2000 rpm - and all I had to do was steer, regulate the speed and keep a watching brief on the road ahead and in my mirrors.

Happy owner here now too now I got her back! 500 miles of pure bliss over the last week. The interior of this car is literally better than any other car I've sat in.

I don't think it is a case of enjoyment gone, but rather high expectations. If you pay upwards of £40k for a car you expect functions to work. Some simple things simply do not work on the car.

Really, what things? Mine do...

For me personally the sat Nav.....unable to upload POIs to the SD based version and the routing it calculates is questionable to say the least on occasions. Currently a 3 year old £200 Tomtom works better.

Hmm looks like ive got the ultimate A4....... am i unique in the fact ive no complaints and am perfectly happy with it?

As i look over some of the posts on this forum,im struck by the determination of some members to activley seek out absolutley any minor gripe ,no matter how small.It seems some spend more time looking for problems or issuse rather than enjoying their cars.
Forms are fine as a light browse through but being constantly drawn to some problem or minor issue or some recall that may or not happen in another country or some minor "flaw" that needs immediate discussion ,Its detracting from general ownership.
Gentlemen,come on,youll find that youve spent more time trying to find "Faults"that it will be time to trade your car back without enjoying a fantastic car.
Sometimes being oblivious and ignorant to others problems makes for a much more relaxed and enjoyable ownership experience.

The RS3 forums (not all) are off the chain! Haha. I've been reading them for about a year now as I do like the car but probably won't get one. Rather save for an RS4. But it's a great car. The threads usually start off very positive and passionate (as most users on here are) but them ultimately turn into negative threads. Same users too. Our S4 threads just seem generally very positive and constructive. Genuinely somewhere people just want to help and chat.

Anyway, certainly not generalising. Just something I've noticed over past 12 months. Really glad I joined ASN.

The RS3 forums (not all) are off the chain! Haha. I've been reading them for about a year now as I do like the car but probably won't get one. Rather save for an RS4. But it's a great car. The threads usually start off very positive and passionate (as most users on here are) but them ultimately turn into negative threads. Same users too. Our S4 threads just seem generally very positive and constructive. Genuinely somewhere people just want to help and chat.

Anyway, certainly not generalising. Just something I've noticed over past 12 months. Really glad I joined ASN.

`ASN`?

Having come from the A3 8V forum I can only agree, this forum seems to be somewhat more mature...

Reactions: Sandra and Thundercliffe81
Advice = if you're thinking about buying a car - don't read internet forums :haha:

Reactions: scotty76
Having come from the A3 8V forum I can only agree, this forum seems to be somewhat more mature...

The word I wanted to use but thought people might take offence haha. Cheers

Reactions: cuke2u
We have done about 70 round trips to Cornwall over the past decade and its 4-5 hours each way non-stop and the B9 has been the most relaxing of all the cars we've ever used. Just eats up the miles.

On the latest trip it also found an off the beaten track National trust property sent straight from Google maps just before we set off, which I've only just washed all the mud off!

We have done about 70 round trips to Cornwall over the past decade and its 4-5 hours each way non-stop and the B9 has been the most relaxing of all the cars we've ever used. Just eats up the miles.

Echo that, for us the drive is 5.5 hours each way and I saw it as a chore getting there. My Honda CR-V made it less painful, but in the B9 it was actually fun

Heartily agree with that, cuke2u. Some of the banter on the A3 8V thread was not only nothing to do with Audis, it strayed into infantile territory. And despite numerous reminders from the moderators, the language left a lot to be desired given that children (no doubt budding Audi owners) read the forum.

Reactions: cuke2u and Sandra
Shame though, being 'forced' to buy a new A4 to get away from it ;-)

Reactions: wideboybloke
Yeah Cuke, your arm must still be sore from the twisting.... ;-)

Now my back's got used to it, I love every moment of mine, best car I've ever had by far :sign yum:

Reactions: wideboybloke and cuke2u
Now my back's got used to it, I love every moment of mine, best car I've ever had by far :sign yum:

Likewise! Took my back some time to adjust - never had experienced that in a car before! I can only but guess it's because it's the first car I have owned with offset pedals. None the less find it comfortable now :)

The offset pedals are not noticable if you've stronic.

I always gathered the issue was with the manual cars. not that I've tried one. Why are the Germans consistent with this issue?

I didn't notice any or much with the manual version I drove but I know on the b8 it was bad. Why would it affect a left hand drive car, I thought is was only RHD..

I had a manual b8 A5 and the pedals were absolutely fine. Never really understood the complaints about them being offset and uncomfortable

Like with most things some are affected some aren't but, having driven both the b8 and then b9 manual I didn't have an issue with the offset. However with the b8 with many test reviews it was mentioned as being quite noticable, I thought there were far worse things I couldn't tolerate...

Last edited:
More than Happy with mine ! It's a machine and I find any excuse to get out in it ! I haven't been to work for a week ! Haha my only moan is my clumsiness when reversing ! :(

Reactions: duckduck
Today I've been mostly driving, I loves me car :yahoo:

Reactions: cuke2u and Kestrel
The offset pedal thing is ultimately caused by the strange clutch/differential layout used on all MLB-based Audis, (caused ultimately by them trying to get around the fundamental disadvantages of Audi's beloved longitudinal, overhung engine layout....) which in turn creates a bulge on the RHS of the transmission tunnel, causing the offset. I guess given most cars are either LH drive, or are automatics, on balance only a small percentage of cars have the problem hence they compromised.

As others have said, you get used to it and I have never found it a problem and I am 6ft 2ins tall.....