Where would you sell your car?

Where would you sell your car?

• Total voters

MattyW19

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm considering selling my car privately, and I've come across a few sites to sell it.

I thought this would be a useful thread for us motorists to justify if they were to sell privately, where would they choose to list it?

Personally i've come across eBay and Autotrader! Not sure which one to go for?

Will be putting my Evo up for sale shortly, so in a similar position.

My first port of call will be the various forums I'm on - benefit being that most people know you and the history of your car, so will appreciate how you've looked after it, modded it, etc. It also tends to be free to post up for sale ads. Will also put up a note on my Facebook profile, don't underestimate the power of social networks.

If that doesn't tempt anyone I'll probably go with AutoTrader - the other choice would be Pistonheads but the search function isn't as detailed as Autotrader. When I bought the A3 Autotrader allowed me to get all my spec in the search and save me quite a bit of time scanning through all sorts of specs on Pistonheads :yes:

I've always found Autotrader to be rubbish. I've sold 2 cars on eBay, one an auction with a reserve and one a classified ad. You just have to be patient.

I found auto trader sold my car.

But will depend what you're selling. I was shifting a Mini Cooper, pistonheads wasn't good for this but had loads of bites from auto trader. If you're shifting something with a bit more performance I think pistonheads would be good. Also worth listing on gumtree too.

During this year I listed 3 cars on Autotrader (various times of year) and its the most expensive option 6 weeks for a figure around £60 each advert. Yes one car did sell within one day (it was priced right) and the other two cars which were the best examples available at a good price had no interest for 4-5 weeks. I found with Autotrader you get LOTS of fake emails which are generic asking to ship the car etc (which I know are fake) and fake texts to your mobile. Even gets to the stage when Autotrader admin send you an email making you beware of a false user who has just emailed you!

Car and Classic is also a great site to even sell a modern classic if its rare and has something about it.

With ebay I found the best way to advertise the car is through a Classified Advert without an offer option, this way buyer can come and look whilst the advert is still live online. The first time round the offer option was put on and I accepted the offer, the buyer came and choose that this model of car is not for him (nothing against my car at the time) so now I was faced with ebay charging me to list that advert and final value fee. I did re-list without the offer option and claimed my money back through ebay which they did help with.

I find model specific forums hard to sell your car as everyone has one, but a brand generic forum might be better.

Never used gumtree/pistonheads so cant comment, my last resort would be to do a px with a dealer unless your after a very quick deal in which you will lose out on.

Hope this helps.

Sold all my cars over the years through Pistonheads, although far to many chancers phoning you theses days or dickheads lol but suppose you get that everywhere

Interesting replies.

The forums I intend to post up my Evo on are mainly Jap or local based, not just the MLR, so the diversity should help me. Failing those I think I'll go to Pistonheads with it...

Do it cheapest first. Gumtree and FreeAds then Pistonheads. If no joy then Autotrader but eBay you get loads of plonkers, in my experience anyway.

I believe Autotrader is now too overpriced.

Pistonheads has always been good for me in the past,especially when seeling modified cars but when I put my A4 on there I had no genuine interest at all in 2 weeks.

I then put it on eBay as a classified ad, same ad as pistonheads, same price and had loads of interest and a fairly quick sale.

So when it came to selling the mrs's C-Max recently I went straight for an eBay classified ad and sold it the next day so its eBay classifieds for me all the way now.

Thank you very much for your helpful responses guys I really appreciate them - Thank you! :)

I've taken the hit and placed it on Autotrader for now, as you guys have said Pistonheads is abit more for the modified/performance cars - Such as the RS4, so I'm not sure i'd be targeting the right audience there!

I hope this thread would help anyone else who's looking at privately selling their car - Makes much more sense than allowing stealers to make a massive chunk on you!! No doubt i'll have them ringing making stupid offers though!

Thanks again guys, I'll for sure miss this forum!

Autotrader is well over priced and i sell all the cars i trade on Ebay (and have more enquires from it to), took a few cars to shift on ebay alone and clock up far more enquires to confirm this.