where will the creaks end? Bain of my life

dandy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

new faults to report and pick your brains over. When I take a sharp left turn like turning off a main road into a side road (at 'slow' speed), there is a nasty creak coming from what seems like the back of the car. Also, it only ever happens when taking a left turn, and never in any other situation. Not even speed bumps. Any ideas guys - is one of my shocks ********? I have tries to rock the car when it's standing but can't re-create the noise. Other thing is a knock (rather than a creak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) coming from inside the passenger door. Knocks when I press the accelerator hard and when I let if off and then whenever it feels like it. Again not triggered by things like speed bumps. It's all making me go doolally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif. I'm started to wish I bought a Skoda favorit, because I'm sure I'd have had less build problems.

back one could be exhaust backbox? could be a little close to the bottom of car... lie down at the back and pull the back box form side to side and see what happends... just a thought!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
dandy said:
Other thing is a knock (rather than a creak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) coming from inside the passenger door. Knocks when I press the accelerator hard and when I let if off and then whenever it feels like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an Astra GTE 16v a few years ago and this sounds like the knocking that I had with that. It turned out to be the door hinge. As the car was a few years old, with repeated opening and closing, and you know the times when you open your door and wind catches it and pulls it open, well this had caused the hinge to become worn.

With your door open, try lifting it from the bottom to see if it moves up and down. If it does it could mean that the hinge is worn.

Just a thought....good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

we all complain that the A3/S3 creaks a lot but is it due to we all have stiff suspension on our cars? The vibrations may be being transmitted through the car more.

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Glovebox creak.

As I think I've mentioned before there has been a creak coming from the glovebox/centre console area on my S3 for a while now.

But this morning, I think I may have sussed where its actually coming from. It could actually be the passenger air-bag flap! I don't know for sure yet, but I'm gonna try and investigate (and hopefully) fix over the next few weekends, as its starting to do my head in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

I always thought my car was the best creak free S3 in town till last week when the dreaded glove box creak started... Now as I have road humps outside my house it absolutely drove me crazy driving and hearing that rattle first thing in the morning..

I gave the glove box a hit, a shove, tugged the glovebox flap, completely emptied it and all I could hear was this irritating rattle at any kind of speed...honestly I was absolutely fuming as I always envied the total silence in my cabin..

Then guess what??... I was driving around sometime last week again and this rattle was driving me up the wall, I emptied everything in the glovebox compartment on to the passenger seat again and still it was there.. I slammed the flap shut, no joy, I opened it up again and there sitting on the inside of the flap was the culprit... Theres a pen slot, on the inside of the glove compartment flap, as the pen I put in there had a cover, the pen had dislodge (guess that happened from driving like I stole it mate.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif) with the pen cover now at an angle stuck to the slot hook which vibrated against the back of the compartment flap...

to be honest, I was pleased to find that was the problem and nothing major, but hey... no more pens in my dash board... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mine has a few creeks, I get one in the drivers seat, its more a sqeek than anything and its DAMN annoying. I also have one in the centre console and the passenger door, I've booked the car in to have it all fixed.

I hate sqeeks and rattles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The drivers seat is the worse, its this annoying sqeek that almost seems to come from the seatbelt buckle, the rest is really trival and hardly nticable, once fixed the drivers side issue, ill be a happy driver.

On the freeway, these cars are so nice to drive, DEAD silent and I love it :p

I LOVE MY BABY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif