S Salzgitter Germany
T Sarajevo Yugoslavia
U Uitenhage South Africa
V Westmoreland USA
V Palmela Portugal
W Wolfsburg Germany
X Poznan poland
Y Navara/Pamplona Spain

I've just pulled this off the uk-mkivs website. If this theory for VIN No and build location is the same for all VAG cars then my A3 2.0TDI was built in Ingolstadt Germany.

Can anyone confirm this method of factory identification?

TRspark

Yes your correct - the 11th letter in the VIN code does indicate the plant where the car was built and A=Ingolstadt.

Mine is A=Ingolstadt.

Do all the best Audi's come from Ingolstadt?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

No. Basically the A3 and A4 models are built at Ingolstadt. The A6 and A8 are built at Neckasulm. The TT's bodies are pressed at Ingolstadt but final assembly takes place at Goyor in Hungary. The plant at Goyor also builds most of the engines for Audi. The DSG gearbox is built at the Volkswagen plant at Kassel.

Some A3s are also produced in South Africa but only for that market. The was also some talk recently of some A3s being built at the main VW plant in Wolfsburg as Ingolstadt was short on capacity and Wolfsburg had spare capacity but I don't know if that has happened.

Thanks for the info Dave.
It's always nice to know there are people on the forum who really know their stuff, and are happy to share the knowledge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

TRspark.

Mine was built by some disgruntled German trolls,recently laid off when the EU bill of human rights declared it illegal for them to hassle people crossing bridges.

They built it with chewing gum,papier mache and their own bile.

When Baron Bomburst of Vulgaria heard of their little enterprise,he saw an opportunity to market their product by gluing some curtain-rings to the front and passing it off as a reputable make.

It was smuggled into the UK under the cover of a Polish circus,only thinly disguised as a clown's car.

Nobody really noticed because,as can be seen from the first thread,Audi cannot even be trusted to arrange the alphabet properly.

That might explain why your A3 is so bad when compared with mine which is so good. Mine is the genuine article built in the Ingolstadt plant whereas yours is a fake !

I wonder if the German troll's Italian cousins build any Alfas.

The A for Ingolstadt was originally A for Audi when there was only the one main plant for Audi at Ingolstadt within the VW/Audi Group.

[ QUOTE ]
Mine was built by some disgruntled German trolls,recently laid off when the EU bill of human rights declared it illegal for them to hassle people crossing bridges.

When Baron Bomburst of Vulgaria heard of their little enterprise,he saw an opportunity to market their product by gluing some curtain-rings to the front and passing it off as a reputable make.

It was smuggled into the UK under the cover of a Polish circus,only thinly disguised as a clown's car.

Nobody really noticed because,as can be seen from the first thread,Audi cannot even be trusted to arrange the alphabet properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the chances of that! SNAP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That might explain why your A3 is so bad when compared with mine which is so good. Mine is the genuine article built in the Ingolstadt plant whereas yours is a fake !

I wonder if the German troll's Italian cousins build any Alfas.

The A for Ingolstadt was originally A for Audi when there was only the one main plant for Audi at Ingolstadt within the VW/Audi Group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey,I've seen photos of your interior trim.
I reckon that came from the wooden bridges the trolls used to live under.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Used to live under.... where do they live know. Perhaps in the Audi plant at Ingolstadt. I may call in on the way back from Austria in June - I'll look out for them !

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the chances of that! SNAP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They say good things come in threes!

Mine was the third!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My Australian deliverd car is also Ingolstadt.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the delivery mileage on that? lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

:sadlike:

What is the problem about my AMK S3 VIN number????

WAUZZZ8LZ11 +6 more numbers

the 11th letter=1!!!!!

where is the assembly plant for my car?

thanks

I have looked at the VIN number details in my Audi parts Catalogue and the 11th digit being '1' means the car was built in Gyor in Hungary.

The plant at Gyor also builds most of the 4 cylinder engines used by Audi and carries out the final assembly of all the TT models.

I must admit that I was not aware that any A3s had been built at Gyor buts it's quite possible.

JamS3 said:
and Mk1 TT's were built predominantly in Hungary

As stated before the TT's bodyshell is built and painted in Ingolstadt, transported by train to Gyor where final assembly takes place.

They then go back to Ingolstadt for quality checks and then shipped to wherever.

This is/was the procedure for both the mkI and mkII TT.

All A3's are built in Ingolstadt. Gyor is mainly engines and a small bit for TT assembly.

Yes i know the same thing for the engine only :icon_thumright:

But why the 50% from s3 vin numbers are A and the other 1 here in s3club?

Cars are new from Greece or used from Germany as mine.

Thanks a lot.