Where to find a ignition live - any pics?

Vex182

1x S3 and 3x Fiestas.
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my headunit to turn off with my key and I can't find a easy place to get a ignition live from. I know the cigarette lighter is permanent so that's not any good. Anyone got a guide as to what fuse from the fusebox can be used and a quick how to. Thank you!

There is a switched live under the relay box.. drivers side lower panel needs to be removed for access... its the yellow one..

OE radios are switched by canbus so there is no switched live available at the radio...

I wired mine permanent so I can switch it off when the panel is removed or listen to it without having the ignition on...

<tuffty/>

Busbar.jpg

...wiring this way means you have to have the ignition on to listen to the stereo even if not running the engine...

<tuffty/>

If you open the back of the fusebox, the thickest black/yellow wire is ignition live.

depends if you want to solder a wire or open ring terminal it?

Cheers, at the minute mine comes on only when I turn it on or off myself and I think when I leave the front of the stereo on but turned off, it's flatting the battery as if the front is off, the battery lasts fine. Which way would enable it to come on with the key in and turned on and turn off when the key is removed. I'm not that bothered by turning it on without the key in really.

Wire it to the ignition then mate...

<tuffty/>

So i will wire it up to that black/yellow wire behind the glove box (Ill use a multi-meter to check it out). I then take a cable from it to the stereo harness I guess. Anything else I need to do? Sorry being a sales manager for bikes does not help me with this! Lol.

The "Radio S-Kont" fuse is the old fuse that pre-CANBUS vehicles used for a proper accesory feed - radio stays on until you pull the keys out. Most 8L's still have this fuse, it's just not wired to anything. All you need to do is run a 5amp wire. Otherwise the radio will turn off with the engine, which can be annoying.

The "Radio S-Kont" fuse is the old fuse that pre-CANBUS vehicles used for a proper accesory feed - radio stays on until you pull the keys out. Most 8L's still have this fuse, it's just not wired to anything. All you need to do is run a 5amp wire. Otherwise the radio will turn off with the engine, which can be annoying.

Right ok, I have my manual here and I can't find a fuse that seems to match. Fuse "42" says for Radio but that's a 15amp.

Yeah, just double check the wire, to be on the safe side. When I took out my concert stereo and replaced it with an alpine, I soldered a wire from the back of the stereo, removed the drivers side cowlings, run the wire across the crash bar and into the fuse box. New stereo comes on with ignition, and goes off when you take the key out.
I fit the insurance black boxes, so am a bit anal with my wiring, going to the fuse box is always my 1st port of call

Reactions: jbh