1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the coolant level sensor?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by drfeelgood, Aug 8, 2010.

1. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

Some say its on the right side of the engine block, "passenger side" and others on the front of the block next to the dipstcik? I'am slightly confused
  2. Biggied

Biggied They called him mellow yellow.

The LEVEL sensor is part of the coolant bottle mate, If its the TEMP sensor your looking for it will vary depending on what engine you have, 1.8T will be on the right hand side (passenger) of the engine bay in a plastic housing bolted to the block.

Cheers Ewan.
  3. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

Its the amk 210 bhp S3 engine, i'm trying to determine if i need to replace it or not due to this annoying cold start niggle
  4. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

I think i mean to put the coolant sensor, not the coolant level sensor which is attached to the tank. lol
  5. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

You mean the one located near the airbox? I.e. the green temp sensor that sits in a type of T-housing thats part of the coolant pipework?
  6. thorsy22

thorsy22 Member

You got a pic dani as I've looked for a green sensor before and not found anything!
  7. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

No cheif, ill try and get one, you wont be able to really see the green as most of the body is hidden within the housing.
  8. Imteyaz

Imteyaz 6th Gear

9. danger S3

danger S3 Member

i just replaced the temp sensor on my AMK S3 as vagcom said intermittent fault.
    it was really easy todo, its in a horizontal coolant hose between the air intake box and the block running front to back. mine was green and had a connector with 4 wires going to it.

definitly worth changing if you are getting startup issues
  10. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

I think mine is black thats why i cant find it lol, i think i have found it anyway, it has the 4 wire's going in, audi replaced my maf but the problem is still there.
  11. danger S3

danger S3 Member

aye its the 4 wire one, when I took mine out the shiny bit that sticks into the coolant had tarnished bits on it, its only just over a tenner, worth replacing
  12. Dazboss

Dazboss Like A Thristy Dingo ;)

My problem was the gauge was flying straight up to 90 after few mins of driving. Its dead easy to change, make sure you clean or replace the seal. A spot of WD on the terminals wont hurt ether :)
  13. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

coolant level sensor is in the water bottle, about £13 from the dealers IIRC...... coolant temp sensor is similar cost and located next to the airbox, plumbed into a large pipe with a big black clip holding it in