Where is the boot light switch?

Allen

Reaction score
My boot light in my Avant wont come on when I open the boot. Works fine on the manual switch.

Cant find another switch for it?

Yeah, I've tried all the positions? The one on the the actual boot lid doesn't come on either?

Same here,when i open the boot the light doesn't come on but maybe 30 seconds or so later it comes on?? never noticed if the light in the actual tailgate worked.

Sometimes when i close the boot it doesn't engage right first time,it shuts but there is a little play in it and i have to re shut, maybe the lock is on the way out.

Have the same problem also with my main interior light up front, not even the dome lights work :(

Lamp in the tail gate looks fine. Should that one come on when you turn the other one on manually?

theres a micro switch in the tailgate catch on the boot lid.

on avants its quite common as the washer jet pipe leaks water on to it....

theres a micro switch in the tailgate catch on the boot lid.

on avants its quite common as the washer jet pipe leaks water on to it....

Sounds like thats my problem!!

Anyone know what is involved it repairing it? OR what part needs to be replaced?

cant replace the switch separately. from memory a new catch unit is around £35.

Will investigate what sort of switch it is and might be able to "borrow" one from work

Can anyone confirm if I would require a new latch? Doing my nut not having lights work at night, got a baby on the way and dont need the agro of not being able to see anything at night :(

Best bet would be to ask the stealer if the microswitch is available separately. In my Mk4 Golf it wasnt and the whole lock mech had to be replaced.

The leaking rear washer pipe is a common problem on the Mk4 and it leaks right onto the microswitch making that fail. When I got my A4 Avant I thought I'd check it too even though I wasnt aware of it being such a problem on the avant. Sure enough (after I struggled to get the boot liner off) the rear washer was dripping onto the lock mech. Fingers crossed I saved it in time though as I have had no problem with the boot light, car locking itself again after just the boot being opened or the alarm randomly going off, all of which are symptoms on the Mk4.

I will give them a bell in the morning worth a try, will let you know how I get on

I've just had mine off and it is a standard (small) microswitch BUT with an Audi connection mounted behind it and soldered on, and resin around the soldered connections. It is then mounted in a plastic frame, which has to hold it firm, and this cannot be removed without breaking it then gluing it in afterwards perhaps, or else by drilling rivets to take the whole lock apart. Mine looks OK though, no sign of water damage, so I have sprayed some WD40 into it (with a straw) and will see how long it lasts.

Sometimes when i close the boot it doesn't engage right first time,it shuts but there is a little play in it and i have to re shut, maybe the lock is on the way out.

Take the bottom inner trim off and adjust the catch, it is too far back. Mine was very difficult to close and has knocked the paint off the bottom edge of the door as it was hitting the bumper every time it was closed :( Quick job to adjust.

Tagging onto an old thread here...

New owner of a 2002 A4 B6 (love it already) and spending much money on it.

So I read many threads and horror stories of leaking seals and or washer hoses. Was dreading the discovery when I got in there.

Thankfully mine was clean and no leaks evident anywhere. My switch was clean but simply a stuck plunger from the old grease around the locking mech. A good blast with WD40, a fresh spray of white grease and few pumps on the plunger, good as new.

This has also now solved the problem with my alarm it would seem. (I wouldn't always arm or randomly go off, well flash anyway, the batteries are f***ed)... That's another day.

The switch plunger is circled in Blue in the pictures.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Photos of the latch
7161d1dbe47da0b526e41cf7fcfa288b.jpg
9f45ae8b61e609ca1780bd8775cefbac.jpg
84197266f8a6c26beff89463924c5b28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk