1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do the re-circs dv's dump back into?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Dixon, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Dixon

    Dixon New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    HI, been reading a lot of threads about blow off valves and re-circ dump valves.
    I'm about to buy an A3 1.8TQ and love the sound of the whoosh dump valve that dumps to the atmosphere but i obviously don't want to loose power.
    A lot of ppl have said that the car will run rich with the ext dump valve, so whould having a better air feed resolve this by supplying more air??

    Or an alternative, where abouts does the re-circ DV dump to, in the air intake? If so would replacing the air box make this dump back to the system audable?

    Thanks for any help,

    Dixon.
     
  2. Advert Guest Advertisement


  3. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,089
    Likes Received:
    4
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dixon said:
    HI, been reading a lot of threads about blow off valves and re-circ dump valves.
    I'm about to buy an A3 1.8TQ and love the sound of the whoosh dump valve that dumps to the atmosphere but i obviously don't want to loose power.
    A lot of ppl have said that the car will run rich with the ext dump valve, so whould having a better air feed resolve this by supplying more air??

    Or an alternative, where abouts does the re-circ DV dump to, in the air intake? If so would replacing the air box make this dump back to the system audable?

    Thanks for any help,

    Dixon.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Hi,

    The DV vents back into the inatake just after the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow Sensor). Replacing the airbox for a sealed airbox does make the 'whoosh' sound, but its not as loud as a blow-off-valve.. but still audible.

    There are alot of kits available for the 1.8T, but most of them are pretty **** to be honest. I can supply you with a carbon cold air intake system for £144+vat which is a real carbon fibre airbox with a stainless steel gauze filter. Anyone who has one can vouch for the quality of the product. There is absolutely no gain to be had from using an open cone filter as all it will do is suck in hot air from the engine bay. Another thing that you need to be careful of is using oiled filters such as K&N, Pipercross .etc as they have been known to cause MAF failure due to contamination and at £200+ a go, its an expensive part.

    Hope this helps you somewhat.

    Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
     
  4. Dixon

    Dixon New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi thanks for your advice,

    I've actually got a Carbon dynamics cold air feed enclosed system on my current car which is fed from modified inner quad lights. What make is the one you can get?

    Another thought, is there anyway of making the turbo whistle louder?

    Thanks again
     
  5. benk

    benk Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Messages:
    469
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well once you've got the whoosh and the whistle, you're bound to want to add a few more sounds.
    Sorry - I'm being force-fed a programming language today and it's turning my brain to mush.
     
  6. Dixon

    Dixon New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well in my mind there is nothing like a good sound of a turbo! Not overly fussed about the Dump valve cos i don't want any power loss, but to hear it would be nice.
     
  7. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,089
    Likes Received:
    4
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dixon said:
    Well in my mind there is nothing like a good sound of a turbo! Not overly fussed about the Dump valve cos i don't want any power loss, but to hear it would be nice.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Well u certainly get that from a chip and CAI.

    Rich
     
  8. Dixon

    Dixon New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    CAI? Closed Air Induction?

    And those should hopefully be the first two mods as soon as the car is bought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

    Do exhausts help with this atall or just effect the exhaust note?
     
  9. phillj

    phillj Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2003
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    0
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dixon said:
    Do exhausts help with this at all or just effect the exhaust note?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It's funny you should say that... I have just fitted a Milltek system and I do get a more noticeable noise from the DV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

    The exhaust note is far nicer and it sounds nice, not to loud, but not to quiet! It sounds just right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif The turbo seems to spool up sooner as well. And she idles at about 750 Revs (before she was idling at a bout 1k). Overall I am extremely happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
     
  10. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,089
    Likes Received:
    4
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dixon said:
    CAI? Closed Air Induction?

    And those should hopefully be the first two mods as soon as the car is bought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

    Do exhausts help with this atall or just effect the exhaust note?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    CAI = Cold Air Intake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
     
  11. Dixon

    Dixon New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    CAI = Cold Air Intake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Ah ha that would make sense!

    What milltek system do you have Phall, full back?
     
  12. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,089
    Likes Received:
    4
    Cat back system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
     
  13. Stuart_A3_Turbo

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2003
    Messages:
    305
    Likes Received:
    0
    You will also receive a touch more boost with an exhaust. It provides a big increase in air flow. Its a great modification to have, makes the car breathe easier and gives it a more 'sporty' sound. I, however, prefer a louder exhaust than the ones Milltek provide so i went for a custom one. Ive heard so many good things about Milltek so again, that would be a good choice (but expensive!!)

    First thing i did was change my standard DV to a bailey recirc, got an exhaust and induction kit then chipped it. As said above, rich can provide you with both the quickshift taipan induction kit (great piece of kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )and an aftermarket DV. Im sure he will sort you out, great prices and quick delivery too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif


    On a side note (sorry to hijack this thread mate) Rich, can you get upgraded spark plugs? I want some quality ones and would rather get them from you mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
     
  14. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2003
    Messages:
    5,089
    Likes Received:
    4
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
    You will also receive a touch more boost with an exhaust. It provides a big increase in air flow. Its a great modification to have, makes the car breathe easier and gives it a more 'sporty' sound. I, however, prefer a louder exhaust than the ones Milltek provide so i went for a custom one. Ive heard so many good things about Milltek so again, that would be a good choice (but expensive!!)

    First thing i did was change my standard DV to a bailey recirc, got an exhaust and induction kit then chipped it. As said above, rich can provide you with both the quickshift taipan induction kit (great piece of kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )and an aftermarket DV. Im sure he will sort you out, great prices and quick delivery too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif


    On a side note (sorry to hijack this thread mate) Rich, can you get upgraded spark plugs? I want some quality ones and would rather get them from you mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Not at present.. but let me know what you want and i will see what i can do! Always looking to expand our range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
     
  15. Dixon

    Dixon New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Rich, i could well be calling on you for a few bits once the audi is here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

    Stuart, what sort of gain has that given u in bhp and torque? assuming you've got b4 and after figures.
     
  16. Stuart_A3_Turbo

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2003
    Messages:
    305
    Likes Received:
    0
    its hard to say mate, as my spec list is just a little bit bigger than that...........


    After the exhaust, chip, induction kit i was at 199.3 bhp(150 bhp standard) and i cant remember torque figure.

    current spec is :

    Quickshift taipan Ind. kit.
    Powerflow Exhaust
    Powerflow de-cat
    Superchip
    Bailey atmospheric DV
    ABD Front mount intercooler
    ABD turbo intake pipe
    Turbo XS adjustable fuel pressure regulator -(3-5 bar)
    Adjusted Actuator to Peak at 18psi boost
     
  17. BerkshireFlipper

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2003
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    0
    spark plugs eh? how about some of these puppies? -

    iridium plugs
     
  18. phillj

    phillj Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2003
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    0
    When I got my CAI it made the car sound nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

    Though it didn't make much (if any) difference to the air flowing through. Though I am getting an AmD remap next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif, so it should make a difference then.
     
  19. Dixon

    Dixon New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    yeah should help once its remapped.

    199.3 bhp thats quite good from the standard 150 with those 3 mods. Bet it was annoying not to top the 200 on that run though!
     

Share This Page