1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where and how to replace hazard switch!

663KAY Feb 25, 2005

1. 663KAY

663KAY New Member

seems like it's a typical problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif...the hazards work fine but the light stops flashing when you indicate either direction...
    turns out it's the hazard switch..please help me to locate and replace it...

2. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

the switch is the hazzard button. you have to take the center console apart to get at it. The instructions for this depend on the model - face lift or not.

3. jpda4

jpda4 Member

i just done mine last weekend
    indicators has stopped completely but hazzards worked fine
    like kafu says depends on facelift or not i asked for advice and was given it
    tried as advised and it would have taken whole centre out
    managed to find a way to get it out on the facelift model pretty simple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif
    ok it was a bit of a pain, but i am a novice at this kind of thing

4. 663KAY

663KAY New Member

thanks...i have the pre-facelift ('99)...
    i've stopped driving it since the indicator don't anymore and am pretty bored with driving my other car - mk1 golf...
    So how do I go about removing the center console?....the radio is a not a prob, whatelse must be removed to get to the bloody switch....

5. h3msy

h3msy Member

there are two screws visible when you take the stereo out, and two screws down by the ashtray and thats it... just pull from the bottom up. I think there are two 'push-fit' fixings near the stereo area and then two up at the top above the hazard switch (either side). It does need a good tug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif though and it feels like it might break but mine came out without any damage

(This is on an S3 mind, so don't know if there is a difference)

6. LeeW

LeeW Member

As H3MSY says, when you remove the stereo it gives you access to two screws, the facia then clips off with a little force. This then exposes two torx screws at the top which when removed free the centre part of the dash just enough to get to the switch.

I had to replace mine (pre-facelift) last year.