When should the cooling fans kick in?

Tommy53

Reaction score
Hi guys,

just replaced my cooling fans on my car but I have only heard one of them go once I think?!

Does anyone know when each of the two fans are meant to kick in? I just took it for a 15 minute drive and only heard what sounded like a fan once when I pulled over.

i thought these would run more? The temperate outside is very average and raining

Thanks very much, Even though I'm in the wrong section :salute:

Sorry for hijacking the thread but im having problems with my fan on 2.0FSi 2004 the large noisier fan comes on as and when it wants quite random really car isn't over heating nor loosing coolant and fan always turns off when the car turns off can anyone shed some light on this? thanks

I only hear my, what sounds like the larger fan, come on when I switch the engine off after I've had my foot down/90+ for 10+ minutes or so. Sometimes it switches off after a few seconds and sometimes it stays on for a couple of minutes, depending on the drive.

ahhh i see, i may have to take it for a long drive then! I have heard the aux fan should come on when you press the aircon button but mine doesnt activate like that? the ambient temperature outside was fairly cold when i did this though, could this have an affect?

ahhh i see, i may have to take it for a long drive then! I have heard the aux fan should come on when you press the aircon button but mine doesnt activate like that? the ambient temperature outside was fairly cold when i did this though, could this have an affect?

Does your ac work properly

I think so, im pretty new to the audi but Do i just turno the ECON light off and press the circulation button with the A next to it? Well whatever i do i feel cold air come in..

Your fans should run with the a/c on especially if the a/c is on and fully charged easily indicated by the suction pipe sweating it sounds like you bought a bad egg you seem to be having loads of issues cooling system related have you checked for flow and are all your hoses hot

Hmmm couldn't agree more. Im having so many issues with this car and none of which seem to be cheap!! I haven't mate ill have a look tonight