When should I stick my winter tyres on ?

Red-Eye

Reaction score
Just an info probing question, I've bought some snow tyres for the winter, but as we have not had a good frost yet I'm a bit reluctent to stick them on at the moment and wear them out in the mild weather.
They are meant to work from +7c and with the weather taking a turn for the worst this weekend, but not for very long, I was wandering when is a good time to put them on ?

Cheers

I'm wondering the same with my Golf - I've been told "when its consistently belo 8 degree" but temps are all over the place at the moment... I guess Dec-Feb is a safe bet though?

My suggestion would also be now.

I managed to destroy my garage door last night by slipping down the driveway into it in the car.

Luckily the door took the damage and there's not a mark on the car.

Put mine on yesterday.....they are at their best at temperatures below 7 degrees but you wont lose much as long as the temperature stays below 10 I reckon' , and as others have said, now looks like the time :).

Amazed at how much higher the pressures are that you run these at though.....49psi on the front of my S3 SB !!!

Seems to ride well enough, but I am used to 225/35 19's !

I concur with the others. I put mine on a couple of weeks ago. Ambient temp was generally around the 8-10 Degrees mark and I noticed no difference is how the car drove. Now its down to 1-2 degrees, they're coming into thier own

On a side note, I havent increased my pressures for them, I've kept them at the same 38 front 32 rear. Should I increase?

That seems rather high! - The sticker in the door reveal of mine suggests 32 for my summer 225/45x17s and 33 for winter (M+S) 205/55x16s - not an S3 right enough, but 49 seems very high.

Amazed at how much higher the pressures are that you run these at though.....49psi on the front of my S3 SB !!!

What sort of life do the winter tyres have, I know it depends on when you fit them & the road conditions there used in, but generally how long do they last?

Get them on now and i think they should be used from november till feb/march but just my opinion

Apologies, the fronts are at 45, not 49 ( brain fade ) which is the recommended pressure on the door sticker for my S3 winter tyres
( 225/40 18 XL M & S ), rears are at 39.

Still seem pretty high to me, but there you go....Vorsprung Durch Technik and all that !!

No idea on longevity i'm afraid....first set i've ever had, but I would expect them to last several years.....there only on there for 3 months or so each year !!

Mileage and temperature dependant but I would expect to get at least 3 seasons out of them on average mileage. There is nothing like the feeling of being unstoppable when the snow arrives, never got stuck once last year in the wifes BMW even found myself going off the beaten track down side roads .

If you decide to fit winter tyres, it is best to do so between October / November and March depending if you live in the north or the south. Of course, as many other people say, the temperatures fluctuate, but in order to be prepared for any weather circumstances it's best to put them on for the whole winter period.

where can i get cheap snow tyres for my spaire wheels 225/ 45/ 17

Camskill has always been the cheapest I have seen, but you'll need to get them fitted at your local tyre fitters.

Stuck the winter tyres on yesterday after seeing a gritter on the way home on friday, just want it to snow now so I can try them out ;-)
Wil keep you updated on how we are getting on :)

I went with Goodyear Ultragrip 8, got them from MyTyres complete with steel rims, came to about £560.
Hope this helps

if you wait till it snows, no one will be able to fit them. (unless you want to do it out in the snow, though if it snows while you are out?)

It is a sort of myth that they wear really really quick, I have had winter tyres on for 2 years on my van, and still only 50% worn, Last Year i had them on my S3 for over 6 months, and tbh they hardley worn at all, and I do not drive slow all the time, it really is how you drive.