1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does my car actually need a Cambelt change? It's a 1.8T

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by CHRIS555, Sep 6, 2010.

1. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

Hi there, from memory my service book says the cambelt is due for change just after 100,000 miles. However, I've just been told by a friend that Audi did a mis-print in the book and it actually should be 60,000 - is this right?

It's a 2004 1.8T Petrol Quattro

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pgy531

pgy531 New Member

I think it quotes in the book x thousand of miles or 5 years etc which ever comes first, I had mine done @ 50K Avant 1.8T Quattro 5 years old even though the book stated 60K, better safe than sorry

PGY531

4. sniffy_smiffy

sniffy_smiffy Member

5 years or 50k IIRC.

Annoying as my 2004 a4 1.8T has only got 33k on the clock but as is 6 years old had to do it.

£500 from Audi includes cambelt & waterpump. Probably can get it done a bit cheaper but would only want Audi to take my engine bay to bits than save £100 at a smaller less qualified outfit!

Lots of £££s but i would rather maintain it properly than fix a broken engine !!

5. CHRIS555

Thank you gentlemen, thats great and funnily enough I was thinking of getting the water pump replaced as well soon! I agree about using Audi - unless it's a modification I always use my main dealer.

6. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

they had a guideline of 5yrs and 60k when they were made, but Audi have since revised that to 5yrs and 75k - based on the 1.8T A3 I helped to sell for my friend a few months ago when I was phoning around the Audi dealerships.

all THAT said.... the car I helped to sell was 55k miles.... and 11 (ELEVEN!) years old and after we had agreed on a price, we found that my mate had NEVER had it done (I called all the dealerships in the log book and the "big" service he'd had a few years before was something like brakes).... I just told him to knock £300 off the agreed price and told him he might be able to get it done for that at an indi and put in a few extra quid (£475 total) to keep the FASH.

7. CHRIS555

Just got mine booked in for the Cambelt at Nottingham Audi, the cost for the whole job inclusive of VAT and a courtesy car is currently £349! Didn't think that was too bad?!